ABYC certified electrical survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're a marina owner and your electrician tells you you need to purchased and install one 30mA GFI to be compliant or 125 30mA GFi's (one for each slip/pedestal) which way to the think the marina owner is going to wire it.....???

Reminds me of my rant on the 208 vs 240 Volt thread. Economy vs desireablilty.

It is a somewhat difficult technical position to provide for swimmer safety at docks, while insuring reliable power. Lets face it, AFCI and GFCI protection significantly reduces power reliability. Especially when one leakage defect on one boat takes out power for a dozen. I will say, though, that GFCI protection has come down in cost significantly. I vote for independant protection at each pedestal.

Great post CMS! Although I have not yet done so, I'm going to go through my entire AC panel to test for neutral-ground connections. A good friend discovered that his KK48 had a neutral-ground at the washer drier unit and it was likely delivered from the manufacturer that way.

Jim

Up until about 25 years ago, all residential 240/120V dryers had that strap connected to allow 3 wire service. The code did change that to 4W on new buildouts, but lots of legacy circuit wiring out there uses the 3W and strap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom