Old 01-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #41
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Tom, what do you have now as your 12V house bank in AH? 832? More?
I believe it is now setting at 832AH. Each battery is rated at 208AH. A 4 battery bank, two connected in series to make 12Vdc (208AH), then each connected in parallel which is 416AH per bank. 2 banks equals 832AH.

So right now I have two battery boxes that hold four 6Vdc batteries total. Not sure if I will need more or not. we will see how this setup performs this summer.

I have a 50amp battery charger that only charges the house banks when the genny or shore power is used. When the main engines are running they pump 102amps to the house batteries once the start batteries are charged.

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:56 AM   #42
FF
Guru

"I have a 50amp battery charger that only charges the house banks when the genny or shore power is used. When the main engines are running they pump 102amps to the house batteries once the start batteries are charged."

While USING juice the modern setup is to gang the bank to the largest configuration.

CHARGING when running with 2 alts ,isolating the bank into 2 groups and letting one engine charge 1/2 the bank , the other engine charging the other half will speed up the charge time .

A "smart V regulator " will help shorten the time as well.

FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #43
Guru

All "juice" from the two engines are sent to the "smart Isolator" which determines which bank and how much charge to send.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #44
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
All "juice" from the two engines are sent to the "smart Isolator" which determines which bank and how much charge to send.
what isolator do you use?
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:08 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
what isolator do you use?
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - 6VDC Golf Cart Battery Question

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #46
FF
Guru

One simple foolproof method is to copy RV tech.

An $18.00 relay closes when the engine is operating and charges the house from the engines alt.

This solves the hassle of voltage drop thru an isolator , and transistor hassles.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
One simple foolproof method is to copy RV tech.

An $18.00 relay closes when the engine is operating and charges the house from the engines alt.

This solves the hassle of voltage drop thru an isolator , and transistor hassles.
The isolator I have does not have any voltage drop unlike the old styles.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #48

City: Burgess
Vessel Name: ZIN
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
6VDC Golf Cart Battery Question

[QUOTE=Alaskan Sea-Duction;404397]I believe it is now setting at 832AH. Each battery is rated at 208AH. A 4 battery bank, two connected in series to make 12Vdc (208AH), then each connected in parallel which is 416AH per bank. 2 banks equals 832AH.

Actually, when 2 batteries are connected in series, they retain the same amp hour rating as a single battery. Then connecting two pairs of batteries in parallel, the amp hour ratings are added. So each of your pairs has a rating of 12 volts with 208 amp-hour Tied together in parallel the two pairs of batteries have a rating of 12 volts with 416 amp-hours.

Golf Cart batteries are a good way to go as they are built to be deeply discharged and recharged for many cycles.
Tomsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #49
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
I believe it is now setting at 832AH. Each battery is rated at 208AH. A 4 battery bank, two connected in series to make 12Vdc (208AH), then each connected in parallel which is 416AH per bank. 2 banks equals 832AH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsmb View Post
Actually, when 2 batteries are connected in series, they retain the same amp hour rating as a single battery. Then connecting two pairs of batteries in parallel, the amp hour ratings are added. So each of your pairs has a rating of 12 volts with 208 amp-hour Tied together in parallel the two pairs of batteries have a rating of 12 volts with 416 amp-hours.

Golf Cart batteries are a good way to go as they are built to be deeply discharged and recharged for many cycles.
Reread OP - 2 banks of 4-6V batty's are indeed 832AH
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #50

City: Burgess
Vessel Name: ZIN
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Quote:
So right now I have two battery boxes that hold four 6Vdc batteries total. Not sure if I will need more or not. we will see how this setup performs this summer.
I thought "four 6Vdc batteries total" was pretty clear. If I misunderstood, I apologize.
Tomsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #51
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I was confused, too, until I reread post #1. He has 8 6v batteries in series-parallel providing 12V and 832AH (208 x 4). I got confused by post #25 when 1680 AH was being tossed around.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #52
FF
Guru

"Golf Cart batteries are a good way to go as they are built to be deeply discharged and recharged for many cycles"

This is true , BUT the number of charge discharge cycles depends on the depth of discharge , and how long it stays discharged.

Before purchasing new batts ,

installing a SOC meter and learning how to nurse the old house set will teach the basics on getting 6-7 years out of the house rather than 3-4 years.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #53
Guru

Sorry for the confusion. Al is correct.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #54

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Hi Tom

Looks pretty good. I went through the same exercise a few years ago on our boat.

I have been using that ProMariner ProIsoCharge device for several years. It takes the output of the two 52-amp alternators, combines them and sends the output to what ever battery bank (up to four) demand it. It has worked very well to recharge the house bank over four (or more) hour transit from one anchorage to the next.

The only thing I do not like about it is that it does not actually provide any kind of "charge control" like the AC-powered battery charger does. I have to be very watchful of the battery water levels while cruising to make sure they stay topped off. More recently I came across this DC-Powered multi-stage battery charger from Sterling Power (the same folks who designed the ProMariner chargers). I am seriously thinking of replacing the ProIsoCharge device with the charger to get that multistage charging capability while underway.

Marty....................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
Hi Tom

Looks pretty good. I went through the same exercise a few years ago on our boat.

I have been using that ProMariner ProIsoCharge device for several years. It takes the output of the two 52-amp alternators, combines them and sends the output to what ever battery bank (up to four) demand it. It has worked very well to recharge the house bank over four (or more) hour transit from one anchorage to the next.

The only thing I do not like about it is that it does not actually provide any kind of "charge control" like the AC-powered battery charger does. I have to be very watchful of the battery water levels while cruising to make sure they stay topped off. More recently I came across this DC-Powered multi-stage battery charger from Sterling Power (the same folks who designed the ProMariner chargers). I am seriously thinking of replacing the ProIsoCharge device with the charger to get that multistage charging capability while underway.

Marty....................
Thanks Marty! I will keep an eye on it.......
Old 01-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #56
FF
Guru

from Sterling Power (the same folks who designed the ProMariner chargers).

These do work but some make HUGE RFI , not great for an occupied boat.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #57

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
from Sterling Power (the same folks who designed the ProMariner chargers).

These do work but some make HUGE RFI , not great for an occupied boat.
Seriously? Never came across anything about that while researching it? Any references?

Marty..........................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:33 AM   #58
FF
Guru

Seriously? Never came across anything about that while researching it? Any references?

Only 4 that went in the trash can, but that was 5 years ago so maybe,,,,,,
Old 01-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #59

City: Deltaville
Alaskan Sea-Duction: A nice , neat installation. If not already present, make sure the lids on the battery boxes are vented at the apex or top of the lid, cut outs on the sides are ineffective unless they reach the top surface of the lid. Shoe box lid designs like this trap hydrogen in an envelope above the battery, if a spark is created by a loose connection it could result in an explosion.

Also, as an aside, your primary fuel filters are the automotive rather than UL marine or "MA" version (it was very common, fortunately now less so although not unheard of, for boat builders to use these filters), they lack heat shields and metallic drain valves. This is an easy retrofit and worth the trouble as it will provide the filter with the flame resistance recommended by UL and ABYC. This article explains the differences between MA and non-MA units Primary Fuel Filters | | PassageMaker

Excerpt, "Regardless of the brand or model, among the most common installation flaws that I encounter when inspecting a vessel involves the filterís fire resistance. Unbeknownst to many boat owners, and some boat builders and yards, while they may look similar in appearance, there is a decided difference between filters destined for industrial and automotive applications versus those specifically designed for marine, and therefore fire resistant, use."
Old 01-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DAntonio View Post
Alaskan Sea-Duction: A nice , neat installation. If not already present, make sure the lids on the battery boxes are vented at the apex or top of the lid, cut outs on the sides are ineffective unless they reach the top surface of the lid. Shoe box lid designs like this trap hydrogen in an envelope above the battery, if a spark is created by a loose connection it could result in an explosion.

Also, as an aside, your primary fuel filters are the automotive rather than UL marine or "MA" version (it was very common, fortunately now less so although not unheard of, for boat builders to use these filters), they lack heat shields and metallic drain valves. This is an easy retrofit and worth the trouble as it will provide the filter with the flame resistance recommended by UL and ABYC. This article explains the differences between MA and non-MA units Primary Fuel Filters | | PassageMaker

Excerpt, "Regardless of the brand or model, among the most common installation flaws that I encounter when inspecting a vessel involves the filter’s fire resistance. Unbeknownst to many boat owners, and some boat builders and yards, while they may look similar in appearance, there is a decided difference between filters destined for industrial and automotive applications versus those specifically designed for marine, and therefore fire resistant, use."

Thank you Steve for your advice, especially the battery boxes. I guess I could drill a hole in the top lid.

However, the fuel filters (the Racors 900 FG I am assuming) met all U.S. required standards when it was manufactured back in 1988. If the filters are replaced I will make sure the meet ABYC suggested standards.

In my opinion, ABYC does not set marine law or standards. They only have suggested standards. Hell you can't get a copy of the standards unless you pay for them. If ABYC had its way, every boat owner would be required to follow their suggested standards retroactively each and every year they come out with some new fangled idea from the ABYC staff.