12V FAN , low power draw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Had an RV guest that left a present , a portable battery or electric fan.

Seems to be from Wallmart or K mart and under $15.00

It runs on a 12V* DC input or 8 D cell batts.

I figure if it will get the advertised 40 hours in low from D cells , it sure wont do much to even a tiny deep cycle battery,

O2COOL model 1071

Blows just fine , very quier in either speed,about 12x12 with about a 9 incg (MOL) fan.

Were going to try to find a few more for the various boats and RV's in our stable.

, And no I dont own China , where it was made.

FF

We have found the Caframo 757 to be the best fans we have ever used over the years. They move the most air, outlast the much more expensive units, are considerably quieter and use little power with the two speed units. And believe me we have tried them all.

Hi Fred, we had one of those O2cool fans*on board Gumbo when we stopped at your place in January. If I had known then you were a fan of them, pun intended, I'd have left it with you.
*They work fine, Marsha bought it at Walmart I think, the summer of 2007?. I need to figure out a way to rig*one up as an exhaust fan for the shower*port to keep the humidity out of the boat.
Steve

There was a recall on some brand of these battery powered fans... they had a tendency to catch on fire! You might search brands to see if you have one of those little firestarters, or before you buy one.

Capn Chuck wrote:

We have found the Caframo 757 to be the best fans we have ever used over the years. They move the most air, outlast the much more expensive units, are considerably quieter and use little power with the two speed units. And believe me we have tried them all.
I would second the Calframo recommendation.* We had a couple of them on our prior boat and several of the common Hella fans.* Playing around with watching current drain on a Link monitor and subjective evaluation of quantity of air moved, I felt quite confident that the Calframo was a hands down winner*as to*air flow per*amp-hr used.* It's more sturdily constructed than the Hella, as well.

-- Edited by stonejd at 13:56, 2009-03-02

Guys,

*I'm quite blown away with this fan talk. I've got a Red Dot type heater that competes with the main engine for noise. Somtimes I get some harmonics between the two so maybe ther'e the same ( or near ) RPM. The little bugger has a small diameter fan w lots of pitch. Help.

Eric Henning

Get thee to the junk yard and look under the seats of a junk skool bus.

They frequently have 12V "box heaters" with quiet 3 speed fan setups.

A box heater if that size can easily pump 75,000 BTU at 180F feed water .

This means you will be using a large percentage of the engines cooling water , and will need a 3/4 or one inch supply and return.

A common failure ia installing a box heater in line with a FW Hot water heater.

These have small internal plumbing (usually 1/2in) and can not flow HEAT!

Some even suffer from a thermostat mechanism that reduces the water flow as the heater gets hot.

Solution , Parallel , not series hookups.

Really fine is the 49pax fish killer system , where after the heaters the return coolant is run thru the deck hand rail, nice if you are outside fishing.

The Brits used to run the return coolant thru a towel rack in the head , hot towel after a hot shower?

NICE!

FF,

*** My heater is smaller and it does share the hot water plumbing, however heat is not a problem* .. it starts pumping hot air almost instantly from a cold start. My Mitsubishi engine warms up quicker than any diesel engine I'e ever seen.* My problem is just fan noise.

Vinny

*** I have the air bleed and filler hole. It holds coolant up there for fairly long periods. I run my boat very often though. When I check the coolant level in the exhaust manifold I close 2 ball valves in that circuit* .. but it's probably not necessary. Lately I've started to close the Kingston valve again. For some time I've thought that to be on the paranoia side. Perhaps the freezing weather has got me thinking. Two weeks ago I started the engine with it closed* .. ran it for 3 min at least before I thought about it. It must not have been closed all the way as there was coolant coming out the exhaust. I think one should do it one way or another* .. all the time.

Eric Henning

Back
Top Bottom