Old 08-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #21
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
I should be able to figure this out but I don't want to tear into the boat to look at the configuration on the shorepower connection on the boat.
If it were me I'd want to know what I have...
Check boat end of cord to see if 1or 2 hot legs
Then 4 screws to pull boat inlet and check how many legs are wired...and check for any sign of overheating then tighten them all while you are at it.
If 2 hot legs I'd be looking behind the panel to figure it out.
But that's just my curiosity to know what is there...I can't imagine any mfg or owner spending the $ when it's way overkill???

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #22
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Yup 4 wire cordset 125/250 volt connector
The Eagle was wired for 120 volts 50 amps, one leg, 3 wire. However I installed installed a 220 volt plug and shore power cord as that was the most common dock power for our size boat. Also in the future might change to 220 volt in the future. The second leg was not connected.
However 2 years ago we retired and insurance and marina would not allow to heat the boat with the webasto diesel heater while away from the boat. So we had a separate electrical panal installed, 120 volt, 50 amp, specifically for 3 addition electrical heaters. So the boat is 120 volt 50 amps, except for 3 addition heaters used only when away from the boat. Cost 1000.00 for the new panel, wiring and heaters and was the cheapest and simplest way.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I would start by looking at the back of the boat power inlet receptacle. If the cable is 3 wire, you're done. Nothing is attached to the second leg. If you have 4 wires, time to look at the back side of the breaker panel to see where the 4th wire goes. My bet is that a previous owner changed the receptacle from 50 amp 120 to 50 amp 120/240 and there are only 3 wires in the cable going to the receptacle.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #24
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Can you post a clear picture of your AC bus? If you have two AC load groups originating from the bus, it should be easy to tell.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #25
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
I should be able to figure this out but I don't want to tear into the boat to look at the configuration on the shorepower connection on the boat.

The boat has a 125/250 50 amp shorepower connection... When I look at the ac panel there is a double pole breaker that serves as the main disconnect for the ac service. One pole is the neutral the other is hot and feeds the rest of the ac circuit breakers in the panel.... My question is what happens to the other ac leg? the boat does not use 220. It's a 4 wire cord so 220 is at the boat... is the other hot input just not connected at boat? Any one else seen this configuration where 220 is supplied but only 110 is used.
It's very difficult to see how your boat is wired over the Internet. Several people have already made several guesses and any one of them might be right.

Taking the electrical inlet loose and seeing if all the wires are hooked up is a good start, but if they are, It's time to call in a marine electrician if you can't figure it out yourself.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #26
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"Any one else seen this configuration where 220 is supplied but only 110 is used."

Yes - I have seen it often. Most applications have the two legs feed different 'lines' of 110 breakers after the main breaker(s). So each leg feeds one or more sets of devices at 110 each. On many boats that we have had there is also an optional switch that can 'parallel' these spate incoming lines when a single 30 or 50 amp connection is supplied through an adaptor or directly to the boat.

Our is like that. No 220V appliances. 50-amp shorepower in with a double-pole breaker, and then the main AC panel is immediately divided into two "lines" -- clearly marked, 1 and 2 -- so either leg of the service only runs about half of the house 110V loads. One fridge on each line, one AC on each line, water heater and cooktop on one, and microwave and outlets on the other, etc.

In our case, we also happen to have a switchable volt meter and ammeter on the panel, so we can get a little insight into which loads are doing what on which line (leg).

-Chris
Old 08-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #27

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Well figured this out... The builder didn't connect the 2nd leg of the AC at the shore power receptacle.... Must have got a deal on the 125/250 connector...
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Kinda figured that would be the case. 50 amp 125/250 volt receptacles are far more common in the US than 50 amp 125 volt receptacles.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #29

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Yup just makes the shore cord more expensive and heavier then necessary.

Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote