Old 06-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #1

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
120v single phase vs split phase on 50amp split phase boat

Ponder this:

While my boat is up on hard, I want to plug it into shore power, only 20amp receptacles, but lots of them.

No need for lectures on the load here, I'm not trying to draw a lot of electricity, I know the loads, it's about testing the systems, keeping the small battery chargers running, and being able to use power tools around the boat without tripping over extension cords everywhere.

Boat system: 50amp 250V, divides the 2 120v legs into front and rear half of boat roughly.

You might ask: Is there a 240v appliance on the boat that would be affected by this plan I'm about to describe? Not that I'm aware of, and if there is, it's the oven and I'm not planning on using it (not living on the boat, working on it).

So why can't I find a Reverse Y that allows 2 15-20amp 120v legs to power the two 120v legs in the boat each on a different line. Yes, they'll be in the same phase, and yes any 240v appliance will NOT work, but I wouldn't have to have drag extension cords and long leads around to test outlets run tools, etc.

I bought a Marinco Reverse Y adapter, and it tests for split phase 240v and will not run otherwise. Argh!

Help me understand. Maybe there is a danger I'm not aware of with single vs split, but if anything I'd consider split phase 240v to be more dangerous anyways.

Maybe 240v appliances would be smoked if this was supported...?

I can't figure out how to accomplish this without wiring it up myself, and while I'm capable, if it's not done already, there's probably a good reason for it I'm missing.

So what am I missing?
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Honestly, I dont see why it WOULDNT work, but its pretty unconventional, so you will probably need to build your own splitter. If it were me I would use a small breaker box with two 20a breakers to protect both you and the yard.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I have a 50A panel that has 2 busses that have each 125V legs....no 250V circuits.

I have a 30A-50A single wire Furrion adapter that feeds both legs and can be plugged into a 30A outlet....or adapted down to a 15A outlet.

When on the hard, just wanting the battery charger to keep the batts topped and the fridge working....it's ideal.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #4

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I have a 50A panel that has 2 busses that have each 125V legs....no 250V circuits.

I have a 30A-50A single wire Furrion adapter that feeds both legs and can be plugged into a 30A outlet....or adapted down to a 15A outlet.

When on the hard, just wanting the battery charger to keep the batts topped and the fridge working....it's ideal.
I believe I'm the same. You have a part number for that adapter? That would be ideal.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Here you go. I have one and use it whenever a 50 amp 240 volt receptacle isn't available. I have no 220 appliances. This may not work with the latest generation GFI breaker systems on power pedestals as the current to the positive has to match the return on the neutral.

https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-Com...mw_15268511011

Also have this for the boat yard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002C...b_b_asin_title

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
I believe I'm the same. You have a part number for that adapter? That would be ideal.

Here's a link to what I believe I have....

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/furr...t-to-30a-dock/

I am not positive it's the same...do a bit more background checking... plus that is just an example I found first...not the best or cheapest source.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote