Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte, Florida
Vessel Name: Reef Drifter
Vessel Model: 1983, 34 ft., Marine Trader
12 Volt Electric Panel Main Multifunction Switch

Here is a look at part of the interior of the 28 year old main panel 12 volt switch that I just removed and replaced with a new switch.* I can see why it did not work so good all the time.* It appears there was some arching going on at some time in it's life.* The switch is pretty heavy duty but the years took their toll.*
Attached Thumbnails
boatswitch.jpg  
reefdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
RE: 12 Volt Electric Panel Main Multifunction Switch

Here's a picture of our 120 VAC switch that failed last year.* We were lucky that we were on board.* Looks like the same manufacturer.
Attached Thumbnails
picture 036.jpg   picture 039.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34

As a general rule, it is best to switch off all individual loads before shutting off the main switch or breaker.*This minimizes or eliminates any current through the switch, and prevents arcing.*

The inverse should be followed when powering up. Turn on the main switch or breaker, and then individual loads.*
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Many of the older boars do not have a breaker between the boat shore plug in and the main AC selector switch which is the main cause of electric fires.* So a double throw with polarity breakers should be installed.* Also a mentioned above turn off the high amp demands before switching the main selector switch.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
RED

Larry

Good Advice on load shedding before switching. This also applies to onboard generators - start the generator under no load conditions, and make sure loads are turned off before switching to generator power. Reverse the process for shutdown - take all loads off the generator first before shutting it down. Shutting down under load in particular can generate some nasty transients in the generator, which can lead to failure.
RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte, Florida
Vessel Name: Reef Drifter
Vessel Model: 1983, 34 ft., Marine Trader

Great advice from all. Before I changed my 12 volt main switch last week I would get a 9 or 10 volt reading on my GPS voltage alarm and sometime the GPS would turn off for no good reason. After seeing the inside of that old switch now I know why. Now I get over 12 good steady volts all the time with the new switch in place.
reefdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #7
FF
Guru

"Now I get over 12 good steady volts all the time with the new switch in place."

Keep fixing , 12V is a dead battery ,

12.8v is what you need, and 14+v with the engine on is normal.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote