Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
12 v receptacles

my 86 marine trader has old style two prong 120 volt ac receptacles for 12 volts all over the boat. Was this common? they are mounted in shallow surface mounted boxes . and are mounted right beside 120 volt ac receptacles .
it has one cigarette lighter style at the lower helm that needs replacing .it has power to it but has poor contact .

1.what have you done for 12 v outlets?
2.what is a good brand of cigarette lighter style outlet? long lasting? good 360 degree contact.
3. the boxes appear to be too shallow for the depth of a cigarette lighter. what would be a good way to extend them with out looking awful?
4. are there any 12v receptacles that would fit the box and have the cover made in?
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #2

City: Pompano Beach, FL
I’ve replaced mine with usb outlets.
Mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #3

City: Pompano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkeller View Post
I’ve replaced mine with usb outlets.

I should add that while the boxes are too shallow, they were all mounted on panels with nothing behind them. So I removed the boxes, drilled a larger hole for the usb and mounted it directly to the panel.
Mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I would change them for safety reasons. Depending on what you plan to plug into them, USB ports might be a good option as many devices have a 12 volt adapter with a USB cord end.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:18 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Think BoatUS mag this month just put out a warning on those old 12V receptacles.

Cant say for sure it was BoatUS, but think so.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. t. An excellent question! Thanks. Haven't got a solution but only 3 (that I know of) 12v outlets. Two cigarette style and one weird, wonky pronged style duplex coupled with a standard 110v duplex in the pilot house. GREAT idea to change it to a USB (thanks Mr. Mk.) providing the weird outlet IS, in fact, 12v.

Mr. ps. Any possibility of a link to the article? Have another coffee, you may remember...

Never mind Mr. ps. I WAS Boat US and I did find the article...
Old 02-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
USB outlets are only good for a couple of amps. Cigarette lighter outlets are long and bulky. Here are several types of 12V outlets that are more compact and/or carry more current:

1. Seadog makes this polarized outlet. Don't know what its current carrying capacity is but probably 10A. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Dog-P...plete/44376373

2. Zamp has this outlet which is used for solar panels on RVs. https://www.ebay.com/i/302368290102?chn=ps

3. For really heavy current- 70A max, Marinco makes this outlet originally designed for trolling motors. https://www.ebay.com/i/122955946875?chn=ps

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. t. An excellent question! Thanks. Haven't got a solution but only 3 (that I know of) 12v outlets. Two cigarette style and one weird, wonky pronged style duplex coupled with a standard 110v duplex in the pilot house. GREAT idea to change it to a USB (thanks Mr. Mk.) providing the weird outlet IS, in fact, 12v.

Mr. ps. Any possibility of a link to the article? Have another coffee, you may remember...

Never mind Mr. ps. I WAS Boat US and I did find the article...
Just found it, I finally got snail mail and it was in the Feb/March edition of their mag.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. t. This: https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEV2vBG5BaAw4AfC3rFAx.;_ylu=X3oDMTEz cDA3c2ttBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQ0FDMDAxXzEEc2 VjA3Nj?p=12v+Duplex+Receptacle&fr=sfp-yff39#id=649&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gradywhite.com% 2Fmedia%2F8854%2Fmy17_300_accessory-12v-outl.jpg&action=close
may give you some ideas.

Please note: Some of these outlets pictured are NOT meant for 12v.

Apologies, thread drift. As a result of this thread I looked up the "wonky" plug we have in the pilot house. It's this style:

and is noted as 15A, 250v. Ooh boy...Yet one MORE item to add to the list....
Old 02-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #10
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
We've got 120v/12v receptacles in the same device all over the boat. Our solution was to plug the 12v side with the plastic kiddie protector thingies.

However, I'll confess that I rigged a 12v appliance with a 120v extension cord and failed to remember (only once) to plug it into the 12v side. With predictable results.

It's on my list to replace all these devices with something else less prone to my idiocy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2470.jpg   IMG_2471.jpg  
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #11
Guru

we may have a winner . thanks for the ideas everyone. now if can find a way to make it look right. I may order one of each to test fit.
Marinco Dual USB Charger and Socket combo

I like this one better but I need 5 or 6 and I am cheep/not rich. I may get one of these for the helm and put it on its own feed. it's at the dc panel anyway .
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...rger--17054198

has any one got pics of there conversion to this type
Old 02-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #12
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
we may have a winner . thanks for the ideas everyone. now if can find a way to make it look right. I may order one of each to test fit.
Marinco Dual USB Charger and Socket combo

I like this one better but I need 5 or 6 and I am cheep/not rich. I may get one of these for the helm and put it on its own feed. it's at the dc panel anyway .
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-...rger--17054198

has any one got pics of there conversion to this type
Look at amazon and you will find this cheaper.
As an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Socke...words=12v+plug

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
We've got 120v/12v receptacles in the same device all over the boat. Our solution was to plug the 12v side with the plastic kiddie protector thingies.

However, I'll confess that I rigged a 12v appliance with a 120v extension cord and failed to remember (only once) to plug it into the 12v side. With predictable results.

It's on my list to replace all these devices with something else less prone to my idiocy.
that's what I was thinking would happen to me too. we have some 12v fans and I have resisted my temptations to modify the cords. my boat has the child protectors from the po. mine appear in separate boxes so I can leave the 120 alone for now. now I know it was common practice and mine is not a one off.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
Guru

City: Vermont
I've gone all USB. Just be sure they are high power (2.5 to 3A) so they will charge larger devices. Things that plug into lighter outlets are few and far between now, other than those that convert to USB.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #15
Guru

City: Trenton
Until you do change them why not LABEL them as to 12v or 120v. You could also paint them different colors. There is nothing wrong with using them - only if you confuse them.

My last survey had me change out most of the 120v sockets for GFI. I only needed to change the ones near water. (It's a boat! They're ALL near water!) The way Marine Trader wired them you will have to change almost all of them anyway.

Nothing was said about the two pronged 12v sockets.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
Guru

they are labeled but I don't have any thing that plugs into them so I figured it's a good time to change . I'm going to think about maybe usb only in the cabins and the combos above at the desk like counter top and both helms . I think there is one at the small rear window in the salon. I'll use what looks best there.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I've gone all USB. Just be sure they are high power (2.5 to 3A) so they will charge larger devices. Things that plug into lighter outlets are few and far between now, other than those that convert to USB.
This..../\
Old 02-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #18
FF
Guru

Cigar lighter plugs and sockets stink, especially if a modest load like a cabin fan ir big spotlight is used.

The 240V sockets and plugs are safe as few have any portable 240V devices on board .

Many are rated for 20A .

The fact they are self wiping helps keep the voltage up.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #19
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
ABYC E-11
11.15.1.2. Receptacles and matching plugs used on AC systems shall not be interchangeable with receptacles and matching plugs used on DC systems.

I replaced all with 3 prong 15A twistlock from HD. The only one that is not replaced is the 120/12v for the fridge that looks like the one in Post 10. You would have to unscrew and pull out the fridge to access the plugs so no one but me would ever touch them. I did label them so I don't mess up!

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...cs-64_1000.jpg
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #20

City: Washington
As noted above, USB outlets have a limited current capacity. Fine for phone charging, no good for a spotlight.

"Cigarette lighter" outlets are fine for cigarette lighters but a terrible design for power outlets because there's nothing to hold the center pin in constant contact. However, they are the "standard" DC outlet. Buy a spotlight and the plug will be for a cigarette lighter outlet.

You can buy any of several alternate outlets and plugs that are fine for 12 volts DC and 20 amps or more and they will work fine but you'll have to change the male plugs on all your accessories.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote