Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
TF Site Team
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,647
Seattle 12/28 fuel prices

Went to get fuel today (the annual pilgrimage to fill the tanks). Called around, and was absolutely floored by the variance in prices.

Cash prices-
  • Shilshole- $2.65/gallon + taxes
  • Kington- $2.39/gallon + taxes
  • Edmonds- $2.12/gallon + taxes
  • Covich & Williams- $1.55/gallon + taxes!

It was worth the trip thru the locks to fuel up!
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Went to get fuel today (the annual pilgrimage to fill the tanks). Called around, and was absolutely floored by the variance in prices.

Cash prices-
  • Shilshole- $2.65/gallon + taxes
  • Kington- $2.39/gallon + taxes
  • Edmonds- $2.12/gallon + taxes
  • Covich & Williams- $1.55/gallon + taxes!

It was worth the trip thru the locks to fuel up!
We see similar. In Florida right now the rate is $1.88 to $4.00.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jay N's Avatar
 
City: Edmonds, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 387
Pau Hana: "Went to get fuel today (the annual pilgrimage to fill the tanks). Called around, and was absolutely floored by the variance in prices.

Cash prices-
  • Shilshole- $2.65/gallon + taxes
  • Kington- $2.39/gallon + taxes
  • Edmonds- $2.12/gallon + taxes
  • Covich & Williams- $1.55/gallon + taxes!"

If you watch the fuel prices over time, you'll see that Covich will almost always be lower when the supply price is going down. The reverse is true going the other way. Many Puget Sound marina's will charge based on the price of last delivery. This means that they may at times have cheaper or more expensive fuel than other marinas that adjust on market conditions (like Edmonds) irrespective of their costs.

Timing is important. I'm hoping for $2.00/gal diesel in Alaska this year. Last time that happened was in 2004.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay N View Post
Pau Hana: "Went to get fuel today (the annual pilgrimage to fill the tanks). Called around, and was absolutely floored by the variance in prices.

Cash prices-
  • Shilshole- $2.65/gallon + taxes
  • Kington- $2.39/gallon + taxes
  • Edmonds- $2.12/gallon + taxes
  • Covich & Williams- $1.55/gallon + taxes!"

If you watch the fuel prices over time, you'll see that Covich will almost always be lower when the supply price is going down. The reverse is true going the other way. Many Puget Sound marina's will charge based on the price of last delivery. This means that they may at times have cheaper or more expensive fuel than other marinas that adjust on market conditions (like Edmonds) irrespective of their costs.

Timing is important. I'm hoping for $2.00/gal diesel in Alaska this year. Last time that happened was in 2004.
A fueling facility with small storage tanks will have an advantage when the price of fuel is dropping and be at a disadvantage when the price is on the rise.
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:02 AM   #5
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,685
Peter, are you familiar with the Fine Edge price survey? They check prices every week during season and publish them here.....


FineEdge.com
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Peter, are you familiar with the Fine Edge price survey? They check prices every week during season and publish them here.....


FineEdge.com
Their "current" survey is August 29.

While by no means complete, Active Captain's fuel prices are very useful. They currently show prices in Washington from $1.75 to $3.45.

I've also used having fuel prices available to negotiate. For instance, we're going to a marina we really like. We are going to need a large quantity of fuel. We see the marina that we don't like as well but only half a mile away is $0.50 per gallon less. We're just honest and say that we don't want to go there for fuel so is there anyway they can come closer. Most of the time that's led to substantial discounts although not matching and we've purchased there.

Around home, we use fuel delivery 95+% of the time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
City: Palma
Country: Spain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 79
You guys donīt know how lucky You are. Last time I filled up (in Palma/Mallorca) I payed 6.54 USD per US gallon - ouch!
Jonza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brisyboy's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonza View Post
You guys donīt know how lucky You are. Last time I filled up (in Palma/Mallorca) I payed 6.54 USD per US gallon - ouch!
I`m with you Jonza- these guys just don`t realise how well off they are (fuel wise that is!!)
__________________
George
Brisbane
IG 36 Europa
Brisyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Their "current" survey is August 29.

Around home, we use fuel delivery 95+% of the time.
B, you're right, their current survey is outdated. They update it weekly during the boating season.

I've tried to get fuel delivery in our area but was told that a separate permit is needed for "over the water" fuel delivery, and that permit runs about $500.

I tried to get several diesel burners together for a "fuel day" where we could all fuel up and divide the cost of the permit.

Nobody was interested.
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
B, you're right, their current survey is outdated. They update it weekly during the boating season.

I've tried to get fuel delivery in our area but was told that a separate permit is needed for "over the water" fuel delivery, and that permit runs about $500.

I tried to get several diesel burners together for a "fuel day" where we could all fuel up and divide the cost of the permit.

Nobody was interested.
Is that a single use permit or just one that the dealer has to get one time?

Covich Williams delivers to commercial vessels on the water in Washington. They also have a dock in the Salmon Bay Ship Canal.

In the normal situation it's not worth the effort perhaps, but when needing large amounts it's useful to look to see where the commercial vessels get fuel. In South Florida we even have delivery by barge.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #11
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,145
On the Columbia River, if you buy more than 100 gallons, use cash or Debit card the price is $1.80 at St. Helens OR marina.................


Kalama is $2.53, Astoria is almost $3
__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,813
Been watching fuel for my trip South. Top Rack in Norfolk, VA is $1.70. Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick, GA is $1.56.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
KMA
Senior Member
 
City: Merritt Island
Country: U.S.
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Been watching fuel for my trip South. Top Rack in Norfolk, VA is $1.70. Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick, GA is $1.56.

Ted
Get ready for sticker shock when you hit FL. This thread prompted me to do a quick search. I didn't find any less than $2.00, and most are in the $2.30-$2.50 range. I suppose I shouldn't complain, since I also remember the days of $4.00+.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
Guru
 
City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 755
to put it into perspective, 1.56 today is equivalent to 35 cents/gal in 1975.
__________________
-------------------------
Terry
Meridian
KK-42097
meridian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,813
With a 2,500 mile range, I won't be buying fuel in FL.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #16
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,135
Anchor Petroleum, Fort Lauderdale $1.76.

Port Consolidated in Fort Lauderdale, Fort Pierce, Fernandina Beach about the same.

Luk Fuel slightly higher.

Peterson about the same.

Marine Supply, St. Augustine $1.84

Boatyard $2.04

That's just a few I have available.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #17
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,187
I just filled up for $1.35/gal at Covich-Williams in Seattle. That's for more than 1000 gal and includes $0.10 off for cash/check. Sale tax is in addition, so about $1.48 after all taxes. Still not too bad.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #18
Guru
 
windmist's Avatar
 
City: Port Orchard, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 908
At the Seattle Boat Show, the Des Moines Marina is giving a coupon for $.10 a gallon off their current price of $1.489. That's $1.389 a gallon and includes the sales tax. Haven't seen a price like that for 10 - 15 years. When I talked to them Monday, they had 15,000 gallons.
__________________

__________________
Ron

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012