Old 10-18-2019, 02:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Pasadena MD
Vessel Model: 1986 Fu Hwa 42’
Thank you all so
Much for your thoughts and suggestions. I am changing oil and fuel filters this weekend as well as checking vents and will blow some air through the pick up line going into the tank. Then I will prime the system back up and run the motor on that line only.

PasadenaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:13 AM   #22

City: Port alberni
X3 on the vent

Island fish lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #23
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
First I would replace all fuel filters and clean the Racor bowls. Second, I would set the starboard engine to draw and return to the starboard tank, port to draw and return to the port tank. Now go for a run and see if you stall out one of the engines. I believe itís more likely you have miss understood the valves on the boat than a clog. However, neither can be ruled out just yet.
I have seen this type of goofy fuel supply where both tanks dump into a manifold before exiting to individual Racors. There is no way to have the engines set up to draw from separate tanks since the small SStank (i.e. manifold is a common point. He could shut off the port tank at the tank and try to run either or both engines off the full stbd tank to prove the clog or (the idea he had which I like) blow air back through the stbd tak supply.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
For lots of reasons, I am most definitely NOT a fan of standpipe draw diesel fuel tanks like yours are, bottom draw are just BETTER. Since you already have bottom valves for the crossover line, I recommend that you shut the valves of the current supply lines at the tops of your tanks and never open them again. Then once you have cleaned and emptied the tanks of the obvious amount of crud lying in their bottoms, remove the current tank bottom valves and connect a tee with two valves there. Connect the crossover hose to one pair of valves and run a new fuel supply directly to each of your Racors from the other valves. NOW with the crossover valves shut, you have proper fuel supply separation for a twin engine boat with the ability to cross connect via the crossover valves if necessary. With an additional two tees and three valves you can arrange to run the return fuel of either or both engine to whichever tank(s) you wish. That manifold before the Racors was allowing both engines to run until you eventually clogged the port tank standpipe screen without you being immediately aware of the crud problem. And yes, as previously stated, you may also have a mud dauber problem and/or a clogged crossover valve on the stbd tank. The clogged crossover line valve can be checked with your air compressor too.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Pasadena MD
Vessel Model: 1986 Fu Hwa 42’
We are inspecting and replacing all fuel filters tomorrow and checking for clogs. Blowing out lines. I currently have about 380 gallon tif fuel on board so it will be next season before I can clean the tanks.

PasadenaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote