Old 01-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: 1988 Albin 40 Sundeck trawler
There's no fuel cooler, and there's not enough water in the 'mixture' according to Gasoila WFP to turn the test strip from brown. The best advice I think I've had is to try to draw a sample from the lowest place in the fuel tanks. I liked the 'copper tube' idea. I thought that if I connected it to the pump with a clear vinyl hose I could pump the what ever the heck it is out till I get some clean diesel. The problem is there are no inspection ports, so I'll have to go through the fuel sender at the top center of the tank...I wonder why they never put a tap at the lowest point in the tank? Seems like it would be a relatively inexpensive way to 'clean' or 'polish' your fuel. Just my 2 cents.

VJameslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #42
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I run 10 micron primaries since the secondaries are a pain to change and bleed.

Yep. though I run 2 Micron

[I]a Kadey Krogen 42 Currently https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog: https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #43
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
While step filtration is fine and really the preferred method, many of us running 2 gal per hr diesels have run 2 micron primary and secondary filters for decades with great results.

With a vacuum gauge, you can tell if there is a strain on the fuel pump.... and go from there.
exactly

Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #44
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJameslanza View Post
There's no fuel cooler, and there's not enough water in the 'mixture' according to Gasoila WFP to turn the test strip from brown. The best advice I think I've had is to try to draw a sample from the lowest place in the fuel tanks. I liked the 'copper tube' idea. I thought that if I connected it to the pump with a clear vinyl hose I could pump the what ever the heck it is out till I get some clean diesel. The problem is there are no inspection ports, so I'll have to go through the fuel sender at the top center of the tank...I wonder why they never put a tap at the lowest point in the tank? Seems like it would be a relatively inexpensive way to 'clean' or 'polish' your fuel. Just my 2 cents.
Did you taste it?
That will tell you right away what it is.
Looks to me it's water with organic growth.
Taste taste will tell.

I'd clean your tanks as best you can, but don't be too worried. Your system has taken care of it.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #45
Guru

Replacing deck fill O rings, put grease on them top and bottom. A little should squeeze out when you nip up the cap. I think it helps, was advised to do it by an ex Navy mechanic who served on subs.
PS. I hate flush mount deck fuel fills, a 100% recipe for trouble.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: 1988 Albin 40 Sundeck trawler
Richard,
TASTE IT? Did you see the picture of it? I hate eating my vegetables, the thought of putting even a drop of that on my tongue gives me chills and shakes (not the good chocolate shake kind). And if I was able to repress my gag reflex, exactly what would I be tasting? Is it like a pickle? Stringbean? I don't know...
VJameslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:17 AM   #47
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Replacing deck fill O rings, put grease on them top and bottom. A little should squeeze out when you nip up the cap. I think it helps, was advised to do it by an ex Navy mechanic who served on subs.
PS. I hate flush mount deck fuel fills, a 100% recipe for trouble.
I'm with you, I never understood how flush fills made sense, especially on boats. The boat I'm putting together now has the fills in a small watertight compartment with a hatch over, not only keeps them dry but acts as a cofferdam when filling.
Fish53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:45 AM   #48
FF
Guru

".I wonder why they never put a tap at the lowest point in the tank?"

The boats first purchaser did not ask for it .

A real bailable sump would be ideal, but might mess up the interior layout and cost a bit.
Our USN monel tanks have both a low point drain and a fitted plate just above the tank bottom to keep mungus from swishing up and mixing with the feel in rough going.
Almost as good as a proper sump. The tank fitting has a valve and a plug , just to be safer.

Next time you fuel you might want to use a BAJA filter to see if its coming from your fuel source.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #49
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
I use a 900 series Racor with 10 micron first then a Racor 500 with 2 micron after, the 900 has the capacity to go for quite awhile before changing and catches most of the water then the 500 gets the small stuff and any remaining water before the fuel goes to the engine filter. I also have the 900 plumbed to serve as a polishing filter for which I replace the 10 micron with a 2.
Hi,

And if you use the original Parker / Racor filters, the Aqua block filter material that predates the water molecules, which keeps the fuel system in better condition to prevent water from ~100%.

NBs

North Baltic sea is online now   Reply With Quote