Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Just as a few examples, Florida Petroleum (now part of Port Consolidated) in Fernandina and Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick Ga, both commercial-oriented docks, took my personal checks as "cash" for several thousand dollars worth of fuel. I recall Port Petroleum in Ft Pierce (now also PC) did the same, but that was a long time ago.. Morehead City Yacht Basin, our home marina, same thing. Many of the truck deliveries will also accept checks as cash. So call ahead and find out. You'll find it is more common than not.

I said to the guy at FP the first time I went there, gee that is very trusting of you. Hadn't even asked for my driver's license. He said, oh not really, a boat like yours is real easy to find.
Yes, we do the same with Peterson. But at a random marina while out cruising I'd think it's a different situation. We're actually able to pay by check at the marina we use in Nassau. It's tied to a resort and we established credit with that resort for check acceptance. The discounts add up.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #42
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseyoung View Post

Here in the upper Chesapeake Bay I am finding prices +/- 4.05/gal

Used to be Tidewater near the Inner Harbor had the best prices up there,... and they honored the BoatUS discount... and they might have given a discount for cash (check), too. Can't remember, about that last part.

Haven't tried to fuel up in that area for several years, so dunno if they're still there... although I see 'em in listed ActiveCaptain...

-Chris

Old 04-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #43
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, we do the same with Peterson. But at a random marina while out cruising I'd think it's a different situation. We're actually able to pay by check at the marina we use in Nassau. It's tied to a resort and we established credit with that resort for check acceptance. The discounts add up.
Absolutely no relationship with any of the mentioned at all or others except MCYB. Purely passing through transient purchases, no marina or other services involved (straight fuel docks or truck delivery).

Like I said, call ahead.

BTW, if you are using Peterson, in So.FL try one of the truck deliverers like Land and Sea, I found their prices to almost always be better if they could get access, and those trucks have LONG hoses.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Absolutely no relationship with any of the mentioned at all or others except MCYB. Purely passing through transient purchases, no marina or other services involved (straight fuel docks or truck delivery).

Like I said, call ahead.

BTW, if you are using Peterson, in So.FL try one of the truck deliverers like Land and Sea, I found their prices to almost always be better if they could get access, and those trucks have LONG hoses.
Anchor is also popular. We've been able to get prices equal to the lowest from Peterson. Luk Fuel also has many deals and promotions from 5% for Active Captain to 10 cents per gallon coupon on their website. I've never spoken to Land and Sea.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If you are on the ICW in GA, best price I found 2 weeks ago was Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick, Ga. All taxes included, cash or check price was $3.57 per gallon based on 400 gallons. They're a couple miles or so off the ICW. Will definitely be topping up there on my way south this fall.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Paying cash was mentioned above and is certainly a way of saving money....I'm also very hesitant (in fact, more than hesitant, I don't do it) to carry large amounts of cash for fuel. So I end up paying the penalty for using a credit card.

What are other's thoughts on cash as an option?
Pretty sure we can do an EFT(electronic financial transfer) payment direct from a bank a/c. Not a CC, no CC fee.
Our system at essentially unmanned fuel places: you input a limit on the draw from your a/c or CC, take fuel, then get debited the actual amount.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Pretty sure we can do an EFT(electronic financial transfer) payment direct from a bank a/c. Not a CC, no CC fee.
Our system at essentially unmanned fuel places: you input a limit on the draw from your a/c or CC, take fuel, then get debited the actual amount.
In the US that's referred to as a Debit Card. And the merchant still gets charged a fee, just a lower fee than they do on a Credit Card. Some places will get partial discounts for using one.

We have very little unmanned fuel at docks. In fact, in many areas that isn't legal due to environmental and safety concerns. The other thing that you see here is so many different discounts. For instance, a marina may have Boat US discounts, cash discounts, Active Captain discounts, quantity discounts.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #48
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'd be happy with fuel available nearby at any price. Our marina fuel sales shut down a few years back because it wasn't profitable, and there are only two others on the coast. One several hours travel north,and another about 8 hours south.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I'd be happy with fuel available nearby at any price. Our marina fuel sales shut down a few years back because it wasn't profitable, and there are only two others on the coast. One several hours travel north,and another about 8 hours south.
That sure cuts down on boating. Are there many boaters in your area? What does everyone do?
Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #50
FF
Guru

>Not bad. Hopefully this summer I'll get a chance to build a still and start making my own Whiskey.<

Do you have parking for a 35 ft bus conversion??
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #51
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Not available by truck delivery?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote