Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
+1 Variables in fuels places. Our shop used to have 3 30k gallon tanks (off-road,on road, gas) they were just fine but after a regulation law came out that required them to be double walled we had rip them out and chose to go with 3 2500 gallon above ground tanks since it was cheaper and met our needs a booming days have passed. It would of cost 900,000 to replace the in ground ones when above ground if memory serves 250,000.

And between taking the tanks out of the ground you have to have test wells drilled. After 25 plus years fuel has seeped into the ground which means you have to haul out all the contaminated fill which you have to dispose of which also costs money and put new fill in which also costs money. 100k later the ground was better with the city.
In many areas now you even have to post a bond or show proof of insurance to cover remediation and clean up in the future.

At home we get filled by a fuel barge but the majority of our fuel purchases aren't at home. As we're 3000 miles by land and 8000 by water from home right now, a bit far to go for fuel.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Few years ago, MD added a marine fuel tax which raised everyone's price and then they added state sales tax on top of that. Now I know what you're thinking,"they're taxing a state tax". Nope, the state comptroller's office said they weren't.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #23
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
In many areas now you even have to post a bond or show proof of insurance to cover remediation and clean up in the future.

At home we get filled by a fuel barge but the majority of our fuel purchases aren't at home. As we're 3000 miles by land and 8000 by water from home right now, a bit far to go for fuel.

Yeah, thankfully 50 million+ gallons later we never had a serious incident that required a clean up or goto insurance, looking in hindsight that's pretty good. Just takes common sense.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Yeah, thankfully 50 million+ gallons later we never had a serious incident that required a clean up or goto insurance, looking in hindsight that's pretty good. Just takes common sense.
But still the remediation took $100,000. Now had one person just done one really stupid thing along the way, could have been much more.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
But still the remediation took $100,000. Now had one person just done one really stupid thing along the way, could have been much more.

Yeah, guess were lucky the contamination in the ground that had to be cleared was stuff we knew was there it's just something you can't avoid as it happens slowly over time.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
In SC it is 3.79 / Gallon. off road diesel the pink stuff. This is cheaper than you can get in a gas station in NC. Or fuel up where ever the commercial guys do and pay cash.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The chain gas retailers are usually owned by company with an oil distributorship. This cuts out a mark up along the way. They don't like providing restrooms, but they bring people into their store. This is where the big markups are made. The fuel is priced for a few cents per gallon for the retailer and a larger markup for the distributor part of the company.

Marinas on the other hand are small volume fuel retailers in an environmentally sensitive area. I don't care for paying higher prices per fuel, but I can understand the marina needing to make more markup. Besides I have paid near $7.00/gal. in the Bahamas. In the area I am in now the street price and marina prices are within 10 cents per gallon. That's not too bad.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The chain gas retailers are usually owned by company with an oil distributorship. This cuts out a mark up along the way. They don't like providing restrooms, but they bring people into their store. This is where the big markups are made. The fuel is priced for a few cents per gallon for the retailer and a larger markup for the distributor part of the company.

Marinas on the other hand are small volume fuel retailers in an environmentally sensitive area. I don't care for paying higher prices per fuel, but I can understand the marina needing to make more markup. Besides I have paid near $7.00/gal. in the Bahamas. In the area I am in now the street price and marina prices are within 10 cents per gallon. That's not too bad.
The large convenience stores and gas stations don't need much markup when they're filling hundreds of cars a day, all self service. And while there are big profits inside, don't underestimate their fuel profits either.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #29
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
$0.519 x 3.78 = 5.74 Canadian for a US gallon of regular gas. Plus the Canadian dollar is about 0.90 US. Stop bitching.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
$0.519 x 3.78 = 5.74 Canadian for a US gallon of regular gas. Plus the Canadian dollar is about 0.90 US. Stop bitching.
So converting to US $ that's about $5.17. Of course US varies a lot by state but none that high. And then Canadians have no reason to complain compared to Europeans.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #31

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
I bet, XSbank meant $1.519 per Canadian Liter ... eh?

It used to be a much bigger difference in fuel prices between USA and Canada. Nowadays it hardly pays to go across the river to get the "cheap" fuel.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I bet, XSbank meant $1.519 per Canadian Liter ... eh?

It used to be a much bigger difference in fuel prices between USA and Canada. Nowadays it hardly pays to go across the river to get the "cheap" fuel.
Assuming so....
Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 AM   #33
Guru

Diesel in Sydney was well over $2 a litre at marinas, $2.30 some places, then Baileys set up in Darling Harbour. Last price I paid, around $1.66, compares with road fuel stations around $1.61. Essentially self service, open 24/7,pay by CC or EFT, you need a Bailey`s member card to use it, you jump through some hoops, watch 4 short videos and answer questions, and agree to spill cleanup costs you cause. It lowered other suppliers prices, but not as much. Lots of commercial users = good throughput.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #34
Guru

Yes, $1.519/ litre. It must have been the second litre of beer...which is currently $3.98/ litre at the Government rip store.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #35
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Yes, $1.519/ litre. It must have been the second litre of beer...which is currently $3.98/ litre at the Government rip store.
So why is it everyone complains about he cost of fuel but not about the cost of beer?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #36

City: Jacksonville Fla
Vessel Name: The Office
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
On the East coast @ St. Augustine the best fuel stop is
Inlet Marina – St. Augustine, FL

We all got together and bought a truck load @ Boot Key for $3.46 last winter.
HTH,
Sonny
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #37
Guru

Paying cash was mentioned above and is certainly a way of saving money. I guess is practical depending on size of tank. But for those purchasing 1000 gallons or more, is it really a practical solution to carry that amount of cash around? I know in business we had cargo planes that occasionally flew to Europe and we did withdraw adequate cash and give it to the pilots for those trips since that was the required method of payment, but sending pilots with $100,000 of cash was a bit unsettling. And as a pleasure boater on a long cruise, I'm also very hesitant (in fact, more than hesitant, I don't do it) to carry large amounts of cash for fuel. So I end up paying the penalty for using a credit card.

What are other's thoughts on cash as an option?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #38

City: Baltimore
I do like the idea of a fuel truck. Granted the 100 gal to fill my tank wouldn't be worth anyone's time but if a group from the same marina got together you could likely get a lower price.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #39
Guru

I am complaining at the cost of beer, but buying a 6 pack has less consequences than 1000 litres of boat diesel.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #40
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Paying cash was mentioned above and is certainly a way of saving money. I guess is practical depending on size of tank. But for those purchasing 1000 gallons or more, is it really a practical solution to carry that amount of cash around? I know in business we had cargo planes that occasionally flew to Europe and we did withdraw adequate cash and give it to the pilots for those trips since that was the required method of payment, but sending pilots with $100,000 of cash was a bit unsettling. And as a pleasure boater on a long cruise, I'm also very hesitant (in fact, more than hesitant, I don't do it) to carry large amounts of cash for fuel. So I end up paying the penalty for using a credit card.

What are other's thoughts on cash as an option?
Just as a few examples, Florida Petroleum (now part of Port Consolidated) in Fernandina and Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick Ga, both commercial-oriented docks, took my personal checks as "cash" for several thousand dollars worth of fuel. I recall Port Petroleum in Ft Pierce (now also PC) did the same, but that was a long time ago.. Morehead City Yacht Basin, our home marina, same thing. Many of the truck deliveries will also accept checks as cash. So call ahead and find out. You'll find it is more common than not.

I said to the guy at FP the first time I went there, gee that is very trusting of you. Hadn't even asked for my driver's license. He said, oh not really, a boat like yours is real easy to find.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote