Old 09-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #1

City: Oakland,Ca
Heading south, where's fuel?

Leaving from Anacortes heading south. Where is the last good harbor to fuel up before heading around the cape and moving South? Is there something in Neah Bay?

Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Maka Marina in Neah Bay.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Neah Bay is the cheapest place around the PNW because it's owned/operated by the Indians and you don't pay some of the taxes other places have to pay.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #4

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
As a general rule, look for fuel docks where commercial boats fill up. They move a lot of fuel so it's cleaner.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #5

Thanks all. That answers my question. I'll probably be stopping in Neah Bay, Newport, Crescent City and Eureka. Good fuel and guest docks or anchorage in all those places.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Albacore tuna are on the bite from the La Push area to Newport, OR, anywhere from 20-50 miles offshore. You may want to drag a lure or three and see what bites....

Safe trp to you!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarious View Post
Thanks all. That answers my question. I'll probably be stopping in Neah Bay, Newport, Crescent City and Eureka. Good fuel and guest docks or anchorage in all those places.
That works, and all usually (relatively) easy to get into; Eureka can be tricky in bad weather. I'd still advise calling now and garnering local knowledge from marinas and CG at various states of tide. Bodega Bay is a nice stop, especially if you decide to skip Eureka for some reason and have the range. Noyo (Ft. Bragg) is very doable, but you definitely want local knowledge the first time and good conditions.

Have a super trip!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
As said above, Makah Marina is a great choice. Don't know your range. The next stops we've used beyond there have been Westport and then Astoria.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Guru

Astoria is about 15 miles or so, 30+ total out of the way for a delivery cruise, but is a fun cruising destination; neat town and a great maritime museum you can spend the better part of the day in. Worth a special trip IMO.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Astoria is about 15 miles or so, 30+ total out of the way for a delivery cruise, but is a fun cruising destination; neat town and a great maritime museum you can spend the better part of the day in. Worth a special trip IMO.
Depending on the Columbia bar conditions....
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Depending on the Columbia bar conditions....
HOLLYWOOD
That applies to all the inlets. Weather this coming week looks pretty good out there, avoid the ebb if you can and have fun.

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtb...qr.cwf.pqr.txt

Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Lutarious

What is the vessel's safe range and cruising speed? For many vessels Neah Bay to Bodega Bay, or further, is a nice delivery alternative. That way the bar crossings are negated with the weather windows now the issue.

If you want to sight see the bar crossings and weather windows can take a 4 or 5 day trip and double it, or more.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Lutarious

What is the vessel's safe range and cruising speed? For many vessels Neah Bay to Bodega Bay, or further, is a nice delivery alternative. That way the bar crossings are negated with the weather windows now the issue.

If you want to sight see the bar crossings and weather windows can take a 4 or 5 day trip and double it, or more.
Adding to his questions, is this to be just a delivery trip or a pleasure trip? What crew? I know it sounds a bit off from your fuel question but it's really relevant to potential fuel stops.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #14

It's mostly a delivery trip. Not sure about fuel and range as we havent actually measured it, but we have a week or so to figure that out. With 250 gallons at 5 per hour, makes 50 hours at 7 knots or 350 mile range. That's what I'm using g for plan I. Purposes at this point. We are planning to leave Olympia on the 14th of October and spend a few days in Anacortes and the San Juans. Leaving from there on the 20th-21st and heading south at Delivery pace with me (professional sailboat captain) one hired crew with thousands of ocean miles on Power and sailboats, and my girlfriend who gets seasick, but is incredibly willing to try hard under bad conditions.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
Guru

Your calculation should include at least 20% reserve off fuel capacity for that trip. There's nowhere to hide for a lot of the way if you guess wrong, have to run harder, or a bar is impassable. Try to get a very accurate consumption benchmark as you head up and out Puget Sound, run different speeds and fill up every chance you get. Always better to know than assume, if nothing else you get a good night's sleep.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Your calculation should include at least 20% reserve off fuel capacity for that trip. There's nowhere to hide for a lot of the way if you guess wrong, have to run harder, or a bar is impassable. Try to get a very accurate consumption benchmark as you head up and out Puget Sound, run different speeds and fill up every chance you get. Always better to know than assume, if nothing else you get a good night's sleep.
And keep in mind that you don't precisely how much fuel it holds. And may not know what is in the bottom of the tank.

If I didn't fuel daily, I would at least every other day, which would mean every 160-180 nm or so. There's just always that possibility you'll need to choose to pass the next planned stop by. But if I was stopping nightly at marinas as I understand your plans, then I'd fill it more frequently than normal since you're still learning it.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #17
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarious View Post
It's mostly a delivery trip. Not sure about fuel and range as we havent actually measured it, but we have a week or so to figure that out. With 250 gallons at 5 per hour, makes 50 hours at 7 knots or 350 mile range. That's what I'm using g for plan I. Purposes at this point. We are planning to leave Olympia on the 14th of October and spend a few days in Anacortes and the San Juans. Leaving from there on the 20th-21st and heading south at Delivery pace with me (professional sailboat captain) one hired crew with thousands of ocean miles on Power and sailboats, and my girlfriend who gets seasick, but is incredibly willing to try hard under bad conditions.
Numbers seem funny. A boat big enough to burn 5gph at 7kts usually carries way more than 250gal.

What kind of boat and engine is it?

My 38 carries 300gal and burns 1.9gph at 7.5kts.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Sailboat?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #19

It's a Nova Heritage 44 foot Sundeck with twin Volvo TAMD 40 B motors. I will top off the fuel before I leave Olympia. And carefully monitor use for the next couple of days as we cruise the San Juans.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Burn rate probably a good bit lower than 5gph at 7.5kts. Probably more like 3gph, but guessing.

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote