Heading south, where's fuel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lutarious

Leaving from Anacortes heading south. Where is the last good harbor to fuel up before heading around the cape and moving South? Is there something in Neah Bay?

Neah Bay is the cheapest place around the PNW because it's owned/operated by the Indians and you don't pay some of the taxes other places have to pay.

As a general rule, look for fuel docks where commercial boats fill up. They move a lot of fuel so it's cleaner.

Thanks all. That answers my question. I'll probably be stopping in Neah Bay, Newport, Crescent City and Eureka. Good fuel and guest docks or anchorage in all those places.

Albacore tuna are on the bite from the La Push area to Newport, OR, anywhere from 20-50 miles offshore. You may want to drag a lure or three and see what bites....

Safe trp to you!

Thanks all. That answers my question. I'll probably be stopping in Neah Bay, Newport, Crescent City and Eureka. Good fuel and guest docks or anchorage in all those places.

That works, and all usually (relatively) easy to get into; Eureka can be tricky in bad weather. I'd still advise calling now and garnering local knowledge from marinas and CG at various states of tide. Bodega Bay is a nice stop, especially if you decide to skip Eureka for some reason and have the range. Noyo (Ft. Bragg) is very doable, but you definitely want local knowledge the first time and good conditions.

Have a super trip!

As said above, Makah Marina is a great choice. Don't know your range. The next stops we've used beyond there have been Westport and then Astoria.

Astoria is about 15 miles or so, 30+ total out of the way for a delivery cruise, but is a fun cruising destination; neat town and a great maritime museum you can spend the better part of the day in. Worth a special trip IMO.

Astoria is about 15 miles or so, 30+ total out of the way for a delivery cruise, but is a fun cruising destination; neat town and a great maritime museum you can spend the better part of the day in. Worth a special trip IMO.

Depending on the Columbia bar conditions....
HOLLYWOOD

Lutarious

What is the vessel's safe range and cruising speed? For many vessels Neah Bay to Bodega Bay, or further, is a nice delivery alternative. That way the bar crossings are negated with the weather windows now the issue.

If you want to sight see the bar crossings and weather windows can take a 4 or 5 day trip and double it, or more.

Lutarious

What is the vessel's safe range and cruising speed? For many vessels Neah Bay to Bodega Bay, or further, is a nice delivery alternative. That way the bar crossings are negated with the weather windows now the issue.

If you want to sight see the bar crossings and weather windows can take a 4 or 5 day trip and double it, or more.

Adding to his questions, is this to be just a delivery trip or a pleasure trip? What crew? I know it sounds a bit off from your fuel question but it's really relevant to potential fuel stops.

It's mostly a delivery trip. Not sure about fuel and range as we havent actually measured it, but we have a week or so to figure that out. With 250 gallons at 5 per hour, makes 50 hours at 7 knots or 350 mile range. That's what I'm using g for plan I. Purposes at this point. We are planning to leave Olympia on the 14th of October and spend a few days in Anacortes and the San Juans. Leaving from there on the 20th-21st and heading south at Delivery pace with me (professional sailboat captain) one hired crew with thousands of ocean miles on Power and sailboats, and my girlfriend who gets seasick, but is incredibly willing to try hard under bad conditions.

Your calculation should include at least 20% reserve off fuel capacity for that trip. There's nowhere to hide for a lot of the way if you guess wrong, have to run harder, or a bar is impassable. Try to get a very accurate consumption benchmark as you head up and out Puget Sound, run different speeds and fill up every chance you get. Always better to know than assume, if nothing else you get a good night's sleep.

Your calculation should include at least 20% reserve off fuel capacity for that trip. There's nowhere to hide for a lot of the way if you guess wrong, have to run harder, or a bar is impassable. Try to get a very accurate consumption benchmark as you head up and out Puget Sound, run different speeds and fill up every chance you get. Always better to know than assume, if nothing else you get a good night's sleep.

And keep in mind that you don't precisely how much fuel it holds. And may not know what is in the bottom of the tank.

If I didn't fuel daily, I would at least every other day, which would mean every 160-180 nm or so. There's just always that possibility you'll need to choose to pass the next planned stop by. But if I was stopping nightly at marinas as I understand your plans, then I'd fill it more frequently than normal since you're still learning it.

It's mostly a delivery trip. Not sure about fuel and range as we havent actually measured it, but we have a week or so to figure that out. With 250 gallons at 5 per hour, makes 50 hours at 7 knots or 350 mile range. That's what I'm using g for plan I. Purposes at this point. We are planning to leave Olympia on the 14th of October and spend a few days in Anacortes and the San Juans. Leaving from there on the 20th-21st and heading south at Delivery pace with me (professional sailboat captain) one hired crew with thousands of ocean miles on Power and sailboats, and my girlfriend who gets seasick, but is incredibly willing to try hard under bad conditions.

Numbers seem funny. A boat big enough to burn 5gph at 7kts usually carries way more than 250gal.

What kind of boat and engine is it?

My 38 carries 300gal and burns 1.9gph at 7.5kts.

It's a Nova Heritage 44 foot Sundeck with twin Volvo TAMD 40 B motors. I will top off the fuel before I leave Olympia. And carefully monitor use for the next couple of days as we cruise the San Juans.

Last edited:
Burn rate probably a good bit lower than 5gph at 7.5kts. Probably more like 3gph, but guessing.

Burn rate in the open ocean is higher than the protected waters of the San Juan islands. Then there are ocean currents and wind. Being a sailor you have a pretty handle on this I'd guess.

BTW, are your fuel tanks calibrated? What is full fuel load and how much can be pulled from each tank before they suck air?

Sounds like fun, enjoy the trip and good luck.

Yikes 250 gallons in a 44' foot twin diesel trawler?? Aren't those Volvos like 165 hp? I burn 7 gph at 10 k with twin 135 hp and carry 500 gal. Figuring 5 gph @ 7.5 k should give you a reasonable fuel buffer. But like others have said confirm those numbers before you go.

That's really a light fuel load, but maybe it was only used in Puget Sound!! I would have expected 350 gallons minimum and something closer to 500 gallons.

How many tanks total?

Last edited:
Burn rate in the open ocean is higher than the protected waters of the San Juan islands. Then there are ocean currents and wind.

On this trip, he's going "downhill" with both wind and current. Personally, rather than try to calculate what that would add, range wise, I'd ignore it and to the extent it helped, that goes into padding the reserve allowance.

I somehow didn't pick up on the 250 gallons; "yikes" x2 ! If that is really true, make double sure the tank and fuel are clean, bring plenty of spare primary and secondary filters, and learn how to change them.

On this trip, he's going "downhill" with both wind and current. Personally, rather than try to calculate what that would add, range wise, I'd ignore it and to the extent it helped, that goes into padding the reserve allowance.

I somehow didn't pick up on the 250 gallons; "yikes" x2 ! If that is really true, make double sure the tank and fuel are clean, bring plenty of spare primary and secondary filters, and learn how to change them.

If it's two tanks, then I'd run one only and see how many gallons and hours I got out of it, preferably using a flow meter of some sort. If it's only one tank that I have limited knowledge of it's condition then I'd get a small bladder to take with me on the first trip.

Guys....

He has 250 gallons of fuel.

We're talking about the Pacific Coast, not some ocean crossing here.

A 44' aft cabin boat like that is going to get something over 1.5NMPG at hull speed and I'm VERY conservative with that number. Fuel range just is not a real issue here.

With a 44' aft cabin boat, as an experienced sailor he's probably going to be harbor hopping anyway.

All he needs to do is plan his departure times from harbor A to arrive during daylight hours and favorable bar conditions at harbor B.

These are simple one day runs. He might need to leave before dawn sometimes to catch favorable bar conditions at his origination and destination harbors, but leaving a semi unfamiliar harbor pre-dawn is a whole lot funner than pulling into a totally unfamiliar harbor at night.

After ONE fuel up he will KNOW his fuel burn, and his range and can then make plans as to where to purchase fuel.

Exactly Kevin, Lutarious send a private message to a member named Alaskan Sea Duction. He made the uphill trip from SF Bay up to PNW last year in an almost identical boat.

Guys....

He has 250 gallons of fuel.

I don't see the quantity of fuel on that route as being an issue at all. I do see an issue of knowing the quality and usable amount of fuel in his tank or tanks. Hopefully by the time he starts this trip he will know. I think that is always a concern when you purchase a used boat. What is really in there. Dauntless encountered an unpleasant fuel surprise. If this boat encountered the same on their 250 gallons then it would be a problem.

The other thing is just for the OP to learn his true usage. Not theoretical, not a similar boat, but his boat, his engines, his usage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom