Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Biloxi
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 81
Fuel valves

Can anyone explain what this picture is trying to convey?Click image for larger version

Name:	1496581530842.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	65399
__________________
Advertisement

Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,860
Taking the fuel from the port tank and returning the unused fuel to the port tank. Which is what you want to do - return the fuel to the tank it is being drawn from.

What is missing is the ability to draw from both and return to both and the ability to transfer between both. Not necessities, just nice to have if balancing the boat.
__________________

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member
 
City: Biloxi
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Taking the fuel from the port tank and returning the unused fuel to the port tank. Which is what you want to do - return the fuel to the tank it is being drawn from.

What is missing is the ability to draw from both and return to both and the ability to transfer between both. Not necessities, just nice to have if balancing the boat.
How can that be corrected?
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,172
If he draws from Port tank and returns to Starboard tank, that will transfer excess fuel to starboard tank... Or vice versa.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17,212
Depending on the engine, returning to the opposite tank might work well, or in the case of a Lehman 120, hardly at all.

But with Lehmans, it is easy to keep fuel loads balanced at 2 to 3 GPH as long as you fuel up with balance in mind.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #6
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,556
Are they not both pictured in the OFF position?

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
City: Biloxi
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Are they not both pictured in the OFF position?

-Chris
That's what threw me. Thought they were both off when actually they are both on to the port. Supply and return both going to port. I think we've figured it out.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,967
It looks like originally the valves were either selecting Port or Starboard. Then someone wrote on and off with a marker. That is what is confusing to me. The valves are probably on all of the time, just either on to port or on to starboard. I don't see how they could be off in any position unless one of the tanks are disconnected.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
That's what threw me. Thought they were both off when actually they are both on to the port. Supply and return both going to port. I think we've figured it out.


We are all making guesses, so I will as well.

I think what happened was that when the valves were initially installed over that piece of wood or starboard, the positions for the Port and Starboard tank were written on the board. They were correct. With that type of valve handle, the direction of the pointer indicates which way it is open, not the direction of the long handle.

At some point, the PO was confused and made a guess based on his ignorance of how those valves work. In the photo you provided the fuel is drawn from the Port tank and returned to the Port tank. It appears that your setup will allow you to draw from one tank or the other and feed to one tank or the other. Normally you will draw and return to the same tank. However as Menzies mentioned, there are times when you may want to draw from one and return to the other if you need to rebalance fuel more quickly. However, this is dangerous if you happen to forget. You can end up with an expensive fuel spill.

In short, I can see where you could have been confused if you have not seen that type of valve handle before. You also assumed that the markings were correct. In this case, the initial markings were but the later On/Off markings were written by an uniformed and unfortunate PO.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,860
Folks, both are on. The large side of the switch is the handle - there is a little arrow point on the other side showing what is on.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #11
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Folks, both are on. The large side of the switch is the handle - there is a little arrow point on the other side showing what is on.


You said it clearer and with a better economy of words than I did.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member
 
City: Biloxi
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
We are all making guesses, so I will as well.

I think what happened was that when the valves were initially installed over that piece of wood or starboard, the positions for the Port and Starboard tank were written on the board. They were correct. With that type of valve handle, the direction of the pointer indicates which way it is open, not the direction of the long handle.

At some point, the PO was confused and made a guess based on his ignorance of how those valves work. In the photo you provided the fuel is drawn from the Port tank and returned to the Port tank. It appears that your setup will allow you to draw from one tank or the other and feed to one tank or the other. Normally you will draw and return to the same tank. However as Menzies mentioned, there are times when you may want to draw from one and return to the other if you need to rebalance fuel more quickly. However, this is dangerous if you happen to forget. You can end up with an expensive fuel spill.

In short, I can see where you could have been confused if you have not seen that type of valve handle before. You also assumed that the markings were correct. In this case, the initial markings were but the later On/Off markings were written by an uniformed and unfortunate PO.
Thumbs up!!! I think you nailed it!
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #13
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,070
I think the OFF pos at 10 o'clock that's scribbled out refers to the flow path is blocked if the little pointer is in the arc from 9 to 12 o'clock. I would remove the added on off markings and restore the OFF at 10 o'clock.
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
It looks like originally the valves were either selecting Port or Starboard. Then someone wrote on and off with a marker. That is what is confusing to me. The valves are probably on all of the time, just either on to port or on to starboard. I don't see how they could be off in any position unless one of the tanks are disconnected.

If you move the marker to the word "off" the valve takes from neither port or starboard and is in fact "off".

These are three position valves, one feeding from the port tank, one the starboard tank and the third position closed.
__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:49 AM   #15
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,472
"At some point, the PO was confused and made a guess based on his ignorance of how those valves work."

When you get it figured out repaint the diagram so there is Never confusion , the next owner will thank you.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #16
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,351
I would investigate further to make sure of the meaning of the handle positions. May need to disconnect lines and suck/blow through them to verify. You want to be absolutely certain how the system functions and it could be either the sharpie or the original marks that are right.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member
 
City: Waitamata
Country: Aotearoa
Vessel Name: Karinya
Vessel Model: Pelin
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 26
Does this help ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-way valve.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	66953  
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member
 
City: Toronto ON
Country: Canada
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 85
Only because the only ones I have seen are 180 degree sweeps...

Are there 3-way valves that function within a 90 degree throw?

RB
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member
 
City: Waitamata
Country: Aotearoa
Vessel Name: Karinya
Vessel Model: Pelin
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 26
Hi RB,

The valves that I posted have a 360 degree sweep. It looks like I have put you crook - sorry mate . I thought that the mounting hole location and handle looked very similar to your set up and it looked to me that the board that they are mounted on had screws protruding to act as a stop against the handle.

BJ
BeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #20
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
How can that be corrected?
Of course things get even more confusing if/when you install a fuel polishing system
__________________

__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about?
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012