Fuel Prices and Alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Major Martin

Everyone seems to believe that the cost of fuel can only rise. However, I heard an interesting program on the CBC the other day about bio-engineered micro-organisms. It seems scientists are exploring the possibility of genetically engineered 'bugs' that produce hydrocarbons as waste.

The upshot is that it may be possible to produce hydrocarbon fuels for less than it now costs to drill it out of the ground. If so, the oil-drilling industry will become a thing of the past, with obvious implications for the boating industry.

This is still pie-in-the-sky but speaking as a biology graduate, it's not too far-fetched.

[Everyone seems to believe that the cost of fuel can only rise. However, I heard an interesting program on the CBC the other day about bio-engineered micro-organisms. It seems scientists are exploring the possibility of genetically engineered 'bugs' that produce hydrocarbons as waste.

The upshot is that it may be possible to produce hydrocarbon fuels for less than it now costs to drill it out of the ground. If so, the oil-drilling industry will become a thing of the past, with obvious implications for the boating industry.

This is still pie-in-the-sky but speaking as a biology graduate, it's not too far-fetched]

Major Martin
As a matter of fact, there is already a "plant" in Spain (Almeria I guess), producing hydrocarbons from a genetically changed sea weed. The fuel is equal in lubricity and octanes, and free of solids. The problem is the fact that it is totally politically incorrect.

propane/natural gas.

Propane and natural gas are 2 different fuels.

Propane change is cheap and easy , and probably worth while in Canada IF they still sell propane at a great discount to gas or diesel.

It would also be a great fuel for an emergency gen set as the fuel can be a decade old with no problem.

Cng tanks are really expensive , and don't hold very much.

propane/natural gas. are as similar as gasoline and #6 bunker

In the past week or so, I have seen a few articles in the news stating that at the current rate, the US will be the largest energy producer in the world, surpassing Russia and Saudi Arabia, by 2017.
This may not necessarily make fuel costs go down. There is no laws preventing the energy companies from shipping it out of the country. Last year, one of the major exports of the US was gasoline. Our prices have not changed significantly.

Now I just hope these Athabasca Oil Sands in Alberta Canada keep on keeping on for at least another 5yrs so I can retire from there with enough money to buy that new cheap fuel.

Elwin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom