Old 02-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Here's a weird question due to a weird circumstance. My ice maker malfunctioned and leaked a significant amount of water on the cabin floor behind the unit. The water leaked down into the below deck storage area and directly into a plastic tub in which I store spare filters. I have several CAT fuel and oil filters that got wet. They have thoroughly dried out, however some corrosion formed on the metal surfaces that mate to the engine fittings. I cleaned up all the corrosion (perhaps it was actually sediment from drying water). What do our members think I should do? Use or toss?

Thanks, Howard

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
If any significant amount of water got into the filter element itself, I'd toss them.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Here's a weird question due to a weird circumstance. My ice maker malfunctioned and leaked a significant amount of water on the cabin floor behind the unit. The water leaked down into the below deck storage area and directly into a plastic tub in which I store spare filters. I have several CAT fuel and oil filters that got wet. They have thoroughly dried out, however some corrosion formed on the metal surfaces that mate to the engine fittings. I cleaned up all the corrosion (perhaps it was actually sediment from drying water). What do our members think I should do? Use or toss?

Thanks, Howard
with most filters the moisture would change the properties of the filter material
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #24
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
FF, I agree the Volvo oil filter is small and costly like all Volvo parts. I changed our Volvo TMD31A to a remote filter because it was near impossible to change the filter without spilling oil in the bilge.
The new setup let me use a much larger filter plus the vertical position makes changes spill free and allows prefilling the filter with oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	37710  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
FF, I agree the Volvo oil filter is small and costly like all Volvo parts. I changed our Volvo TMD31A to a remote filter because it was near impossible to change the filter without spilling oil in the bilge.
The new setup let me use a much larger filter plus the vertical position makes changes spill free and allows prefilling the filter with oil.
Consider replacing those hoses with hydraulic hose/fittings. I did the same mod on my old snapper boat years ago- when oil got hot a hose blew off a hose barb fitting. Cost me a set of main bearing shells.

At least periodically snug the hose clamps.

Also- hard to tell from photos, but are you sure you have the hoses hooked up right? The center hose from filter should be to the center fitting on engine adapter. ??
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #26
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Consider replacing those hoses with hydraulic hose/fittings. I did the same mod on my old snapper boat years ago- when oil got hot a hose blew off a hose barb fitting. Cost me a set of main bearing shells.

At least periodically snug the hose clamps.
good advice
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #27
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Thanks for the feedback. Both hose connection housings are embossed with "IN" "OUT" markings.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #28
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
"in" on engine adapter should go to "out" on filter head. Filter flow is from outer to inner, and exits filter from center hole. Not saying you got it wrong, but worth a double check. Seen it done wrong. Found when running, filter stayed cold!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:40 PM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
"in" on engine adapter should go to "out" on filter head. Filter flow is from outer to inner, and exits filter from center hole. Not saying you got it wrong, but worth a double check. Seen it done wrong. Found when running, filter stayed cold!!
so many really don't look and absorb what they see.....you have to think through the whole system.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
How does that work, with the filter not mounted on and vibrating with the engine? Mind you, I`m thinking of this as an FL user, Volvo could be different. Otherwise, great idea.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote