Old 10-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #1

City: Conception Bay South
Diesel fuel tank configuration

...any info for 89 M Trader fuel tanks shape/ configuration? Setup appears to be sbord tank feeds 135 hp Lehman and port feeds genset...both returning to respective feed tanks. Tanks are purportedly 175 Usg ea. Like to know shape/ size and replacement options.

Whipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #2

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Unless it is some aftermarket change made by a P.O. there is no way it would be set up like you describe. Look again, there must be a feed valve or switchover valve somewhere. 175 gallons would run my genset from new in 1978 until now, fuel would be pretty stale after all those years.

Replacement would be a big deal, Check this site for many threads about tank replacement. To start it off though, inspect your tank and take a fuel sample. Is there a bottom drain ? The P.O. may have replaced or reconditioned the tanks, can you ask him?

The switchover valve might be near the filter or filters (Raycors). Are you getting a lot of crud and water from your filters?

Don't be too fast to think tank replacement. The age of your boat puts it right on the edge of "Needing to be done" and "Already done". Don't jump into a $10,000 job.

Good luck, find the crossover valve, I guarantee that it is there!

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard. I agree that it is unlikely that one tank only feeds genset, however it is possible. It would not be optimal because not only will the fuel go stale for the genset but the side to side trim will be effected because your main engine will use much more fuel than the genset. I am going to replace one of my fuel tanks this winter just because it it a steel tank that is 32 years old. I have to pull an engine in order to get the tank replaced.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
My two penn'orth of advice on fuel.
Diesel doesn't go stale, I've seen engines left for 20 years and they cracked off just fine.
From experience with trucks, static engines and boats fuel systems over 40 years I would highly recommend that you go against convention and draw the fuel from the absolute bottom of the tank the same as a truck does.
You NEVER EVER see a truck tank with sludge or water build up in the bottom of the tank as you do on a boat.
Boat builders logic sometimes baffles me.
Draw the fuel from the very bottom of the tank and any impurities will be caught by the primary filter/water separator and the engine pre-filter. That's their function.
When building the new diesel tank for my boat I had it built in 316 Stainless Steel with a bright annealed (mirror) finish on the inside. 2 baffles with offset apertures and an inspection hatch over each baffle so I could access all sections of the tank if necessary, it cost a bit more but it was a case of fit it and forget it.
Peace of mind is priceless..
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #5

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
If I remember correctly, for USCG inspected fuel tank, all openings have to be on the top. There can be no openings for lines etc anywhere else.
I always thought that instead of a flat bottom tank, that a lower bowl be built in that would allow all the water and sediment to settle there and then have another dip tube to allow you to draw all the muck out without using the main fuel lines.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Guru

I have replaced a fuel tank in a previous boat and had them put the pickup about 1/4Ē off the bottom of the tank. I am going to replace a tank in my current boat this winter and will have the pickup as low as possible in the tank. I want any water and crud to be sucked out of the tank and go into the filters.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #7

City: Conception Bay South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipper View Post
...any info for 89 M Trader fuel tanks shape/ configuration? Setup appears to be sbord tank feeds 135 hp Lehman and port feeds genset...both returning to respective feed tanks. Tanks are purportedly 175 Usg ea. Like to know shape/ size and replacement options.
Thks for feedback. I now see that both tanks are connect from fwd tank bottoms and can be gated off at each tank. Would logic suggest that the tanks balance or equalize by this route and still allow the genset to feed from the port tank with a direct supply thru its own Raycor and have a return line to this same tank. So reasonably the sbord tank draw being greater to feed the Lehman would always allow the port tank to slowly achieve balane thru the fwd connecting valved line.
I still have a sbord leak somewhere...if tank replacement is as cost prohibitive as suggested herein...would it be plausible to connect the genset to the Lehman sbord tank?
Whipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
Guru

I would not want to ignore a leaking fuel tank. Nor would I want to just leave it empty and only use one tank. As I said I am going to replace one of my fuel tanks this winter just because they are 32 year old steel tanks. If you do the work yourself it isnít as costly as some have quoted. I will have about $1500 in the crane, chain fall, trolly, etc. i will reuse all the misc equipment the following winter when I replace the second tank so it will cost about $750 per engine for the equipment to move my engines. The tank itself will cost about $2600 for a 1/4Ē 5052 aluminum tank.