Clear Lake, Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
Still $4.61 a gallon.* His gasoline is $4.37.* I dunno where he gets off on the price difference when there is no road tax on it.

What fuel dock are you talking about? The only fuel that doesn't have road tax on it is red dyed diesel, and the only place I know around here that has that is pier 19 fuels in Galveston.

Keith wrote:

What fuel dock are you talking about? The only fuel that doesn't have road tax on it is red dyed diesel, and the only place I know around here that has that is pier 19 fuels in Galveston.
??????

Every fuel I have ever bought around here has been red dyed.

3 Amigos is where I am talking and it is red.* SSH is red.* GYB is red.* Harborwalk is red.* Diesell in it's natural state and on road diesel is clear.* I have never put clear diesel in any boat I have ever owned....it has always been red.

Shouth Shore is $4.50, its $4.19 on the road. He just has the only fuel dock in kemah... I called a oil/diesel supply place and they are selling it for $4.00 but I would have to figure out how to get it on the boat.

I dont see why the marina wont let us have fuel delivered by truck.

Guess they've changed since I bought diesel around here. I normally buy it down in Port Aransas, since it's so much cheaper than around here. Marinas always are higher than road stations since A. Only game in town and B. Massive oil spill insurance requirements.

Why don't the marinas allow trucks to refuel us? Do they sell fuel? Would they rather make the $$?

That's one reason I love my 700 gallon capacity. I can pick and choose when and where to refuel. LOT of difference regionally.

I actually heard the last time somebody shopped(Brent I think about 2 weeks ago) all places around here that GYB was the cheapest?

Keith wrote:

Marinas always are higher than road stations since A. Only game in town and B. Massive oil spill insurance requirements.

Why don't the marinas allow trucks to refuel us?
Must be a Texas thing.* Marine diesel in Washington is typically considerably cheaper than service station diesel because the only tax on it is sales tax.* No other taxes apply.* As John said, this no-tax fuel is always dyed red, same as industrial and agricultural fuel, where the heavily taxed road diesel is dyed green.

And there are a number of truck dealers at various marinas and harbors in Washington, and their prices are even lower than the fuel docks.* However they cater to the commercial boats so they tend to have pretty high minimum purchase amounts, more than the capacity of many recreational boats.* But if you need four or five hundred gallons (or more) and can get to the piers they use you can save a fair amount.

Matin, this is just a recent thing in the past year. It used to be as much as a dollar cheaper than gasoline. They are just using the hype that people realize how much more expensive it is on the road.....and now diesel is actually cheaper at a roadside fuel station than it is at a marina round us since the fuel prices have dropped recently. They haven't dropped as sharply on the water and it absolutely pisses me off.

diesel is 3.93 on the road close to me so I am thinkign about just adding a little at a time with jerry cans... as longas it keeps dropping it makes me hate to fill up!

Don't let your marina catch you. Most of them ban that practice, fearing fuel spills or other problems. Of course they'd rather sell you their fuel.

That boat that blew up in my marina last year had fueled up with jerry cans the day before. Never wondered what happened to the fuel that was in the tanks when the boat came in. All leaked into the bilge and BOOM.

John---

From what we've recently experienced in our marina the price of marine diesel is falling much faster than the price of gasoline or road-taxed diesel. I can't say if this is true in all harbors in Washington. But road diesel is still in the $4.50 range where marine diesel at our dock was $3.87 last weekend and I understand has dropped even farther this week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom