California Delta, Vallejo, Pittsburg, Atioch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giggitoni

Guru
Vessel Name
Mahalo Moi
Vessel Make
1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
July 2, 2012:

Vallejo: $3.899
Pittsburg: $3.799
Antioch: $4.299

I fueled at Vallejo where I keep Mahalo Moi. Tenants receive a 5% discount. I paid $3.509 per gallon. Red dyed, off-road diesel (no California tax). As I write this, I realize that the attendant gave us a 10% discount... Oops! I'll fix that this Friday!

Last edited:
no california taxes? how is that?
i bought diesel at Jankovich @ LA/San Pedro ports for $3.40 per gallon on july 21, 2012 but they charged 8.75% tax.

By law it is illegal to charge the road tax on red dye diesel where red dye is manufactured only for off road vehicles such as tractors, boats, graders, dozers etc.

In my Colorado Sheriff days the fine for using red dye in cars and trucks was $10,000 per occurence. The only time that it was evident was generally during vehicle accidents when fuel was spilled and then it was easy to see that someone was filling from the cheaper farm tank.

Although I knew a deputy who used to go to the weekly stock sales sneaking around and putting a wooden dowell into fuel tank via the cap to see if the farmers were using red dye diesel in their pick-ups. Luckily that deputy didnt last long especially in a rural community.

More the concern right now is the knuckleheads in Sacramento California looking at charging an additional $2.22 for diesel by year 2020 under the California Only Diesel Program. I am not sure if it will spread to red dye or not but stay up to date on that issue.

Here is a link to one of the stories:
California trucking group slams CARB fuel policies | eTrucker: Trucking News, Truck Driver Jobs, Diesel Fuel Prices, Loads, Routing,& More!

i bought diesel at Jankovich @ LA/San Pedro ports for $3.40 per gallon on july 21, 2012 but they charged 8.75% tax.

Posted fuel prices in California normally include all taxes, including sales tax. If someone is adding sales tax beyond the posted price, they're just using a marketing ploy.

Village West in Stockton is $3.29.

$3.99 a gallon at Pittsburg, CA. Fortunately, I loaded $600 of fuel before the marina realized their credit-charge network had broken down. Subsequent potential fuel-purchasers were turned away.

img_126420_0_943f513f86bb65b5041520fee218a70f.jpg

Ray and I topped off in Pittsburg today before leaving town. The CC phone line was still down and we only had one check between the two of us, so I wrote the check after we both fueled up.

But that's OK, because Ray bought the breakfast!!

Gotta love Trawler Forum friends!!

Thanks guys,

My mind was too cold to remember to check the fuel price as I had planned.
Long overdue to add some fresh diesel. Will check next weekend if Larry's price has dropped yet, he has been at $4.25 for months now - just cannot bring myself to pay that much.

Ray and I topped off in Pittsburg today before leaving town. The CC phone line was still down and we only had one check between the two of us, so I wrote the check after we both fueled up.

But that's OK, because Ray bought the breakfast!!

Gotta love Trawler Forum friends!!

Thanks, Al. You're my very best friend ever! Imagine, $907 scrambled eggs :smitten:

Thanks guys,

My mind was too cold to remember to check the fuel price as I had planned.
Long overdue to add some fresh diesel. Will check next weekend if Larry's price has dropped yet, he has been at $4.25 for months now - just cannot bring myself to pay that much.

Jim, may I suggest you exercise your engines as well as get to Pittsburg for a load of fuel (bring a blank check or a few $100 bills).

Math was never my forte. It was a really great breakfast, though!!! Thanks for buying!

Thank goodness you tanks weren't any bigger! Enjoy the fuel. :thumb:

Thanks, Al. You're my very best friend ever! Imagine, $907 scrambled eggs :smitten:

That's quite a load. No wonder the slower but already fuel-loaded Coot beat you home.

Last edited:
Village West is 3.76. We're going to have to make the trip someplace fairly soon to "fill up.". We bought some in oyster point to get us back to the delta but it was $5 so we didn't get much!

Does the Village West fuel have the valve-tech additives in it ? At the Pittsburg marina they are included in the fuel price. Fun seeing and meeting everyone this past weekend, Next time, Ray remebers his steps, Mark brings his summer coat, and Al, well Al gets a bigger paddle so he can get here on time.

Mark, thanks for the Coot Hats, now I just need to find something close to that color to wear it with..

Does the Village West fuel have the valve-tech additives in it ? At the Pittsburg marina they are included in the fuel price.

No clue... does this mean that if I buy fuel in Pittsburgh, I don't need to add any other additives? I really don't know what the stuff is that we add, just that our mechanic friend told us to do it... :rolleyes:

Does the Village West fuel have the valve-tech additives in it ? At the Pittsburg marina they are included in the fuel price. Fun seeing and meeting everyone this past weekend, Next time, Ray remebers his steps, Mark brings his summer coat, and Al, well Al gets a bigger paddle so he can get here on time.

Mark, thanks for the Coot Hats, now I just need to find something close to that color to wear it with..

Thanks for your hospitality, Mark. Enjoyed the tour of your Vantare also. See you soon.

While both Marks seem to be interested in what Al was saying, his wife Meg doesn't.

img_126633_0_d40490c9b9fdbb0f4ebd161dd2a47149.jpg

She's heard it all before.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, this is during the Coot Tour and you were doing the talking!

(but I had that coming after posting that 'Running with Fenders' shot.)

Jankovich always does that. I prefer Mikes Main Channel or going around to Fish Harbor and that fuel dock. The problem with both of those is no finger dock they are piers only and you need a deck hand holding the boat off. I think the one in that harbor is United Petroleum if my memory serves me right and he's usually .05 cheaper than Jankovich. Also, they have a direct pipe line to the refinery. That's fresh diesel!

Pittsburg diesel 4.25
Village West diesel 4.35

SF Bay/Delta Fuel

In mid November, I ran the boat up to Bodega Bay for crabbing and stopped by the local fuel doc near Jack London Square for a bit if fuel. It was $5.09 per gallon, so I didn't top up. Boat US shows that they give a discount to members, but they don't.

I will be bringing the boat back to Alameda near the end of December and want to top it up to avoid tank condensation during the cold damp winter. It will need 225 to 250 gallons, so a little side trip to Pittsburg could make sense. Anybody have the current prices on fuel in the area? BTW, the Chevron doc at Bodega Bay is currently $4.09 per gallon, which is a full buck a gallon less than Oakland.

In mid November, I ran the boat up to Bodega Bay for crabbing and stopped by the local fuel doc near Jack London Square for a bit if fuel. It was $5.09 per gallon, so I didn't top up. Boat US shows that they give a discount to members, but they don't.

I will be bringing the boat back to Alameda near the end of December and want to top it up to avoid tank condensation during the cold damp winter. It will need 225 to 250 gallons, so a little side trip to Pittsburg could make sense. Anybody have the current prices on fuel in the area? BTW, the Chevron doc at Bodega Bay is currently $4.09 per gallon, which is a full buck a gallon less than Oakland.

You may want to go over to San Francisco I think the best price in the bay area was over by the Ferry terminal forget which location but there are only a couple to choose from, that was earlier this year.

Alameda has become pricey although easy convienent to many to stop and fuel up

Last month we pulled into Dog River Marina in Mobile Bay and topped off at $3.60 a gallon which was 4.25 a gallon :eek: in Orange Beach AL.

No wonder diesel gets called red gold compared to a few years ago.

Give Gashouse Cove Marina a call, 415-567-8880. They are near the St. Francis Yacht Club and Fort Mason. I've never fueled there but many folks say they are the cheapest in the Bay. I don't own the joint!

Called Gashouse Cove Marina and their price is $4.99 a gallon. Yikes! Not much better than Oakland. Looks like I will be topping up in Bodega Bay and save a couple hundred dollars! We will be doing some exploring in the delta and up the rivers next year, so we will be checking out those fuel stops.

Thanks for the feedback.

Diesel in the Delta is usually in the neighborhood of $4 a gallon, ($3.80 to $4.20, whatever). Prices include taxes.

Called Gashouse Cove Marina and their price is $4.99 a gallon. Yikes! Not much better than Oakland. Looks like I will be topping up in Bodega Bay and save a couple hundred dollars! We will be doing some exploring in the delta and up the rivers next year, so we will be checking out those fuel stops.

Thanks for the feedback.

Oh well! So much for Gashouse. Your plan to fill in Bodega Bay is good. You can top-off in Pittsburg on your way to the Delta the first of the year.

Let us know when you're going to the Delta. A number of us met in Pittsburg last January and had a good time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom