Vashon for sale on Craigslist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Nope, I'm not selling Sherpa. I have no interest or involvement in this listing... I just thought it was interesting as it is not a common sight. I stumbled across a Vashon for sale in Alaska--somewhat rare to see one on the water let alone find one for sale. I've been told by the original builder that 50 were made and half were for commercial salmon fishing (fish hold in rear and smaller cockpit).

23' Vashon Pocket Cruiser

The photos reveal a very "busy" and well used boat to say the least! Description says it is self righting--could that be correct?

Last edited:
It's amazing they get all that stuff (diesel engine, batteries, fuel tanks, instruments, radar, furnace, dual helms and personal stuff) into a 23 foot boat and still have room to move around inside.
They are lovely boats with perfect lines. I bet you could almost row one, if the oars were long enough :)
At $30K it seems a little spendy, but the boat is complete with a trailer.

Your boat looks clean painted all white- very nice boat!

Thank you, Bluto. From my experience, most Vashons I've found have been well-used. I can say that I've almost put what I originally paid for my boat into restoration--fiber glass work, awlgrip, electrical, air conditioning, etc. Fortunately, my interior is not as crowded as the one for sale and I have a amazing amount of storage to include a roomy engine compartment.

Attachments

• 2014-04-26 17.32.55.jpg
    2014-04-26 17.32.55.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,495
  • 2014-04-26 17.31.29.jpg
    2014-04-26 17.31.29.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 1,253
My goodness, she looks jaunty. How big is the engine, how many cylinders?

"Jaunty" describers her very well! Engine is a 29HP Volvo MD2030 (originally a 18HP SABB or Perkins). She cruises at around 5.5 to 6.5 knots depending on currents/wind and burns around 1/2 gallon per hour. The second photo is Sherpa before her first restoration by the previous owner--you'd never think they were the same boat! She needed more work last year to wrap-up the restoration--lots of fiberglass work to repair crazing on the decks.

Attachments

• van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (5).jpg
    van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (5).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 825
  • IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 582
  • van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (1).jpg
    van der Kaay 4.10 2013 (1).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,327
  • van der Kaay 9.18 (1).jpg
    van der Kaay 9.18 (1).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 280
10 nmpg... That must be the most efficient boat there is, with a berth and a roof. Nice work on Sherpa!

edit- I wondered how it would do with a small mast and staysail. Then I thought, nah, it would mess up the cleanliness you have going on there.

Here's a video of that Volvo MD2030 running on a skid. What a little gem..

Last edited:
I love the lines of these little boats. Efficient hull and use of space. Even a 2nd helm station in the cockpit; something I have on my ToDo list.

Nice video of the MD2030. Volvos get a bad rap but the MD2030 was actually manufactured by Perkins for Volvo (there is a Perkins label prominently displayed on my engine). Funny you mention staysail, I've actually explored the idea but opted not to because of the reason you cited--I wanted to keep the lines clean. In fact, the plans (see below) show a steady sail/dingy hoist; it doesn't look bad.

AusCan, best on your project. I would not have bought my boat if it only had an inside helm--it was a very big selling point for me.

Attachments

• Vashon Plans.jpg
    Vashon Plans.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,151
The dinghy boom would be kind of 'in your face' at the helm, but I do like the mast and staysail. Does the boat really need one? If not, I'd leave it be.
It looks salty with the mast, though.

That's not a stay'sl. That's a cross/downwind power assist!

A staysail is between masts as I recall.

That looks like a foresail to me.

Nice video of the MD2030. Volvos get a bad rap but the MD2030 was actually manufactured by Perkins for Volvo (there is a Perkins label prominently displayed on my engine). Funny you mention staysail, I've actually explored the idea but opted not to because of the reason you cited--I wanted to keep the lines clean. In fact, the plans (see below) show a steady sail/dingy hoist; it doesn't look bad.

AusCan, best on your project. I would not have bought my boat if it only had an inside helm--it was a very big selling point for me.

I'm pretty sure that Perkins sold by Volvo is actually a Shibaura mini tractor engine. Still a good machine. Lugger buys them and sticks their labels on them too.

I'm pretty sure that Perkins sold by Volvo is actually a Shibaura mini tractor engine. Still a good machine. Lugger buys them and sticks their labels on them too.

You are most correct! A little research revealed the company is Ishikawajima Shibaura Machinery, Ltd. The Perkins Perama M30 is virtually identical to the Volvo MD2030. Outside expensive replacement parts (new raw water pump just cost me $400), my MD2030 has proven to be a reliable and easy to work on engine.

I'm wondering what Sherpa must have been like with her original 18HP SAAB:

Sabb 18 hp twin cylinder diesel boat engine - YouTube

VT,
What's that thing w the chain drive?

Looks like another Vashon is for sale. This was one is located in Alasaka. It is configured with the engine in the wheelhouse and fish hold aft. She'll need a lot of work if converted to pleasure.

Vashon Pocket Trawler

Looks like another Vashon is for sale. This was one is located in Alasaka. It is configured with the engine in the wheelhouse and fish hold aft. She'll need a lot of work if converted to pleasure.

Vashon Pocket Trawler

Crazy that someone would take all those pictures and then post them with the wrong orientation. :huh:

"...ready to shrimp or live aboard." There is a bit of a dichotomy based on the pictures I saw.

Cool boat though.

Found one

After stink eyeing every vashon troller I've seen in se alaska for the past 6 or so years. I found one on the hard that I maybe able to get for a fair price considering her condition. She's the barebones version built for commercial fishing with the hold in the stern deck and the engine forward. Keel cooled, dry stacked sabb w/ 500 hours. She was never really outfitted, just a huge diesel range and a chart plotter. Going to need a new interior, sound deadening material and some serious tlc to square her up.

Part of the reason I'm posting after lurking for a long time is I can't send a pm till I post. If the owner of sherpa sees this, shoot me a pm, I've got a few questions about what you may have run into.

Glad to learn there is another Vashon fan and potential owner--I feel quite alone! :) I may be biased, but Vashon's are simply excellent pocket trawlers. Full displacement, solidly build, and great lines. A 29HP Volvo moves Sherpa at 5-6 knots and burns around 1/3-1/2 gallons per hour. I've personally handled very rough water to include 6-8 foot seas. They turn heads and always get plenty of stares/comments. I have the study plans and it appears that Sabb diesels were standard--great slow turning diesels! I also communicated via e-mail with the original builder/owner of Vashon Boat Works not too long ago.

I'll PM you shortly.

Took me awhile to find one of these micro trawlers-trollers. Tough, sea worthy looking boat....now make it 44 feet long pushed by a 120-175 hp deer or 90 hp with a controllable pitch prop. Twin cabin, nice galley and so on.
As is fits a nice nich, especially if the cruisers are small people. 6-4 250lb er gonna have issues.

sabb w/ 500 hours.

sound deadening material

Unless you really like noisy, vibrating, old stuff that breaks and the parts are in Norway.....I would seriously consider a modern engine. Of course it depends on how you use the boat, but if you intend any lengthy (more than one day) cruises, living with the sabb will get old quickly. If you just want to get from here to there or jig up a cod, it's fine. Sound deadening will do very little, the engine is hard mounted and most of the noise comes from the whole boat vibrating. A nice little Kubota will be so much better, smooth, quiet, and it starts pefectly when you turn the key.....

I would not be surprised if an original Sabb would not stress break the aluminum welds as you on the deck looking for your dental fillings

Took me awhile to find one of these micro trawlers-trollers. Tough, sea worthy looking boat....now make it 44 feet long pushed by a 120-175 hp deer or 90 hp with a controllable pitch prop. Twin cabin, nice galley and so on.
As is fits a nice nich, especially if the cruisers are small people. 6-4 250lb er gonna have issues.

I'm a solid 5'10" and my wife is 5'3", which I consider fairly normal. I am fortunate to have an athletic build but folks who have acquired much girth over the years will be uncomfortable on a smaller boat. We fit fine and there is plenty of room for a two to three day excurision. V-berth is roomy with plenty of leg room for an average size guy. I have a sink, water pump, 40 gallons of fresh water, A/C, heater, and storage galore. Would I want a bigger boat? Nah, too much time and expense for a younger working couple. I love going small, economical, and make no apologies.

Not through my eyes! ;)

I have never had the laying on of hands with a Vashon, but I have with a maple bay 30. The fit, finish, attention to detail is incredible. Long and skinny with deep draft. Suspect para vanes would tame the bronc in rough water. The one I saw in BC impressed the hell out of me. Pretty small, likely tough to live aboard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom