Old 12-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bill,
Would you like to explain how you deploy and retrieve your kayak? The picture gives me ideas on how to rig a system for our canoe. I'm think'in you deploy w/o getting up on the roof.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:07 AM   #22

City: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Salty Paws
Vessel Model: 2003 Rosborough RF-246 HSV
Hi, Eric,

We just got back to Florida after the last month in the Bahamas. Deploying and retrieving the kayak has gotten easier and easier the more we do it. First, I undo all the straps and line ties, and then I pull the kayak forward to the bow (on top of the rail). It then slides right down the port side rail into the water.

In retrieving I am able to pull the kayak up along the cabin and port side rail to the bow. The trick here is now to straighten out the kayak so that it can be slid aft in the rack. While I have done it myself, I usually have my wife hold the kayak in the bow and push it to port while I place and move the stern in to the rack.

Hope that helps!

Bill
Salty Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville Florida
Vessel Name: Lucy
Vessel Model: 2003 Rosborough RF246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTid View Post
2003 HSV with hard top. Twin 115 Suzuki's on a full width bracket.
I am alone most of the time but I can single hand it.
Trailer capable is very important to me. I tow with a 3/4 ton diesel truck
The side sliding doors are a nice feature.
Flush toilet is good especially with guests onboard
Well made and durable.
Max speed is 20MPH at 5000 RPM
Best speed is 8 mph
I can run on one engine at 6 to 8 MPH with good fuel economy and less noise
Over all very satisfied but don't be in a hurry to get anywhere
Follow-up to this previous post. I had a motor failure and re-powered with an Evinrude ETEC 300HP G2. At a cost of $28,600 plus $800 for trim tabs. This was not a good fit for this boat. It added 70 more horse power and reduced the weight on the tramsom/swim platform by 500 pounds. I never liked the two stroke motor. It was not smooth at mid range. It would spin the prop from dead stop unless you eased on the throttle. The motor was more fuel efficient but it burned $30 a gallon oil that negated fuel cost savings. I think a single 4 stroke motor in the range of 150 to 200HP is the way to go with a HSV with or without a full width swim platform.
JimTid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #24
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Thanks ssobol but the pounding in even a 3-4' head sea would be ....... and w those long straight and low chines it would probably deliver an award winning snap roll.

I like the beam to length ratio though. And the roof deck. And the OB power.
Well Eric it appears you and I and a lonely few others are the anachronistic holdovers from the era of true full displacement trawlers, as god intended them to be.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #25

City: Kalamazoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Paws View Post
I am a very late responder to this thread as I am a new member and proud owner of a 2003 Rosborough RF-246 HSV. Our boat is powered by a Honda 250 HP outboard with a 10 HP auxiliary. My wife and I are looking forward to doing the ICW next fall with a side trip to the Bahamas.
Greetings,
I know this is a older thread but very much would like to hear your thoughts on cruising your 246 -
Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Paws View Post
My wife, Molly, and I left Maine on 10/22 and are now in the Bahamas. Our boat is small but seaworthy and has worked out so well. Thank you, Bob Rosborough, for designing such a great boat.

Bill Webster
Salty Paws
How was the trip over and back?
We are looking into a 246
Old 05-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: Time and Tide
Vessel Model: Rosborough 246
We had a Rosborough rendezvous of 27 boats at Caladesi State Park in late March. Bill Webster gave a ~1hr long presentation to the group about his second trip to the Bahamas (as part of his 2019/2020 Great Loop trip) in his Rosborough. It's available on the "RF-246" YouTube channel, look for the "Take your Rosborough to the Bahamas" video on the site.
Carriage Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriage Guy View Post
We had a Rosborough rendezvous of 27 boats at Caladesi State Park in late March. Bill Webster gave a ~1hr long presentation to the group about his second trip to the Bahamas (as part of his 2019/2020 Great Loop trip) in his Rosborough. It's available on the "RF-246" YouTube channel, look for the "Take your Rosborough to the Bahamas" video on the site.
Yes we have watched it. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
Thank you