Outer Reef 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OR26-NJC

Hello everyone

Any Outer Reef 26 owners out there?

Looking for any information on the manufacturer.

Thanks,

Noah

Yes. We are currently in the purchasing process for this nice pocket trawler. I was just inquiring around if anybody has any information on the manufacturer and or experience with this model.

Thanks!

-Noah

I believe that the Outer Reefs were built in Bradenton, Fl in the early 80's. personally, I have never been aboard one but, I heard that they are very well built.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/outer-reef-26-trawler-tug-$9-000-a-5530.html

The Outer Reef was built in Bradenton by Andre Bilodeau. He designed and built about 34 or so of them. Although most of them were similar there was some variations due to owner preferences. He lives about 2 miles from me and is quite a skilled craftsman today even at 72!
The is actually one on a trailer here on Pine Island in a storage area. A fellow member tried to buy it but the owner is asking too much. Its a shame to see it just sit.

Thanks Nimble1 for the great information. Any recommendations for where I might find replacement ports, windows and or windshield?
Thanks!
- Noah

Actually he purchased his windows from Wynne Ent in Alabama. The same company that made the windows for my Nimble Nomad. Its possible they may even have the templates around some where for your boat.

Wynne Enterprises Inc.

Thanks Nimble 1. I'm going to try and make a trip down to Florida this summer to try and meet up with the designer/ builder. Thanks for the window manufacturer information!

Outer Reef

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just had to share some history regarding the Outer Reef. My parents purchased an Outer Reef back in the early 80s. It was custom built by Andre Bilodeau and included a fly bridge (quite uncommon on an Outer Reef).

I have many fond memories on the tug. Dad added a stay sail and various other upgrades. I remember the Ford Lehman used to leak and overheat (even new). We adored the tug but my parents soon upgraded to a 44' Defever.

I did find our boat for sale a few years back (NC I believe). I easily recognized it with the fly bridge. I almost bought it but she had been neglected... so sad.

Here are a few photos circa 1980-1983:

Scan2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Scan1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Scan | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Would you happen to remember what HP your Ford Lehman was or what the designed HP was for the Outer Reef 26?

I just bought a 83 26' outer reef trawler. she is in pretty poor shape but is floating. I bought it cause I dont mind project. Did i mention its my first boat.(ever) The owner said that it has not started since 2009 (It has a W70 westernbeke). if any one knows where i can get parts and a owners manual for this trawler i would appreciate it. thanks for the port manufacture link. Any advice and suggestion would also be appreciated. Ill post pics once she gets towed to my dock so you guys can see the road i got to travel.

IwillIt, I believe that most of the OR trawlers were semi-custom. Many were built to the owners specs and desires.As far as parts, you will just have to hunt them down from the manufacturer and as far as I know there was not an owners manual due to the custom build. Most of my info is due to talking to the builder over the years. I have seen his work and he is a very good craftsman but who knows what has been done to your boat over the years.
Looking forward to the pics.

I just bought a 83 26' outer reef trawler. she is in pretty poor shape but is floating. I bought it cause I dont mind project. Did i mention its my first boat.(ever) The owner said that it has not started since 2009 (It has a W70 westernbeke). if any one knows where i can get parts and a owners manual for this trawler i would appreciate it. thanks for the port manufacture link. Any advice and suggestion would also be appreciated. Ill post pics once she gets towed to my dock so you guys can see the road i got to travel.

Sounds as if it could be a fun project. I assume from your description that you got it for a good price. :) Please do post pics and also let us know from time to time how the project is going.

John

The owner said that it has not started since 2009 (It has a W70 westernbeke). if any one knows where i can get parts and a owners manual for this trawler i would appreciate it. thanks for the port manufacture link. Any advice and suggestion would also be appreciated. Ill post pics once she gets towed to my dock so you guys can see the road i got to travel.

You can download a 150 page engine manual for a W70 from boatdiesel.com for a small signup fee. The site is good value for all mechanical issues.

IwillIt I have a 32 Outer Reef built by the same guy .I think he built about 40 of the 26 footers ,2 of the 32 footers and 3 of the 36 footers. I have had mine about a year now and have completely rebuilt the v berth and the pilot house. The boats seem to be built pretty well although mine was worked pretty hard as a fishing troller before being converted to pleasure trawler.Looks like you have a lot of open covered deck like mine.good luck with your project.These are tough boats.

Actually he purchased his windows from Wynne Ent in Alabama. The same company that made the windows for my Nimble Nomad. Its possible they may even have the templates around some where for your boat.

Wynne Enterprises Inc.

I checked my windows and they are from Wynne also . I talked to them today . I've got to make 2 new sliding doors and going to use them in my doors.

My father, Andre Bilodeau, designed and built the Outer Reef line of trawlers. One of the responders is absolutely correct, my dad's company (Outer Reef Marine) was based in Bradenton during the 80s. He's retired and lives in St James City now on Pine Island near Ft Myers. You are welcome to call him. His number is 239-283-6192.

boatbuildersdaughter:

Your dad built a fine boat. I was a child but I remember coming down with my parents when they were overseeing construction of their custom Outer Reef 26'. We did some serious cruising on "At Last". We last met up with your father at the Buccaneer Inn at Longboat Key sometime in the late 80s. Very nice gentleman. Please tell him the "van der Kaay's" send their hello.

Here's "At Last" somewhere off the coast of Dunedin, Florida circa 1983 or 1984--we were heading toward Three Rooker Bar as I recall.

Engine was a Ford Lehman (80HP I believe); note the flybridge. Dad would later add a staysail for anchoring and a bimini.

Attachments

• user6121_pic503_1371207609.jpg
    user6121_pic503_1371207609.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
your dad is a pretty cool guy for taking the time and chatting with me. let him know its up and running it was a pretty rough when i got it. Now i'm working on some beautification. any chance you know where he got the swim platform from?

I had a 1979 model. It had a Lehman 60hp (based on a Peugeot) with a Hurth 1:1 trans. Way under propped I found a Hurth 1.91:1. That let me swing a 17 x 17 prop- what a difference in handling. I also installed an Aquadrive cv joint. That eliminated a lot of vibration from the shaft. My boat was a " utility". Strictly workboat. I added insulation and paneling in the pilothouse and v berth area. I also added an inverter and shore power. I had a door in the center of the rear wall of the pilothouse. I was able to put a small window a/c in the port window. My kids loved sleeping aboard at the dock and we stayed nice and cool. One othe modification I made was to replace most of the rubber hose in the fresh water cooling system with copper pipe and elbow fittings.
A great little boat that I should have kept!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom