Old 12-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #21

City: fort erie on
Thanks Bob . Nordic came in two configurations from what i can tell .one is a deeper keel with 4 inches of lead bolted to the bottom. the other is a drop center board .It has about a 2 foot draft i think .

Is there another boat in the 20 to 25 foot class you would recommend?seems all the work and money involved in a conversion would not be a wise decision .

I have a cat rigged seaward fox 17 now .But too small for the longer trips .

Thanks again Richard

richard vankoughnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #22

City: Madison SD
Vessel Name: Tadpole
Vessel Model: Nimble Vagabond
Vagabond

Richard,

Not familiar with any easy conversions of sailboats but have seen some custom pilot houses completed on 25ft hulls with the swing keels due to their relative shallow draft.

Another nice cruising hull boat I had some experience is the Albin 25. A couple of years ago there were several that we were interested in at a reasonable price but the Vagabond was a steal so we purchased it. The Albin is a nice inboard diesel and older so a fixer uppers are available.

Good Luck!

Bob

Bob Schaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #23

City: Jackson
Bob,
Do you have a good weight on the trailer estimate with engine and furnishings for your Vagabond? I've seen several different figures just for the bare hull. Thanks
swampfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:30 AM   #24
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfox17 View Post
Bob,
Do you have a good weight on the trailer estimate with engine and furnishings for your Vagabond? I've seen several different figures just for the bare hull. Thanks
Swampfox17,

Good to hear from you. I am out on the road traveling this week and do not have access to my paper work so my answer will be a guess. Our boat with a 30hp merc and gear probably tips the scales at around 3200lb. Trailer(Tandem axle aluminum) around 800lb for a tow weight of 4000lb. If I remember, dry and empty, these boats were listed on the spec sheets at around 2850lb. I can check when return to Mississippi next week if you need a more accurate weight. I too have seen several values listed online but have the manufacturer spec sheet at home.

Bob
Old 07-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #26

City: Jackson
Thanks. I'm considering downsizing from a small SUV and a 2wd Ram 1500 3.6 V6, which has towed the boat only once on my Vagabond's trip from Middle River, Md. to Mississippi. Yes, I'm the one who picked up that one. The long bed truck did very well down I-95 in the snow; however, I've never pulled it out of the water on a ramp. I'm considering replacing those two vehicles with a 2018 AWD Dodge Durango V-6 (same engine as in my truck). The problem is, without the trailer tow package the legal towing limit is 3500 pounds and 6200 with the tow package. One can add everything needed to better than tow package specs, but you're still not legal--even if the dealer adds it (if it's involved in an accident). My wife won't ride in a truck (LOL), and I don't want anything as big as a Yukon again. I read a copy of some correspondence from Nimble stating the dry weight was 1800 pounds. Guess I will just take it to the scales and confirm the dry weight. It's on an Easy Load tandem trailer with the small 10" wheels and surge brakes on one axle. The boat is kinda stuck temporarily in my storage building while I procrastinate doing some repairs and upgrades. My Nimble is a '92 model.
swampfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #27

Swampfox17,
Our Vagabond is a 1992 also. We have owned it since 2013 and needed to complete a number projects to bring her together but have had a lot of fun with it and we have trailed it all over the country. We settled now in Southern Mississippi and plan on selling next year and obtaining a boat for fishing.

I have seen the weight of these boats listed from 1800 to 3000 and a scale would be the best bet for an accurate figure. Our trailer is a tandem axle aluminum I beam which keep the
tow weight high.

Good luck and have fun with it!!

Bob

Tags
nimble, vagabond