I am still looking!

fvkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Washington Maine
Whaleboat conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Come on now F53, we need pics! Lots of Navy whale boats made into trawlers, but the CG version is much fuller in the ends and faster. I always thought they would make a great conversion.
I spent scary boarding trips running those on Georges Bank winter fisheries patrols in the 70's. Good luck!
Lets see lots of pictures.
I was on many of those trawlers in the 70's 80's and 90's. I also worked in the Bering sea for years and there was a tremendous difference being boarded there or on Georges. On Georges they'd come over in a whaleboat in shitty weather with six aboard and the first one on deck had to jump aboard with a shotgun, good timing was essential. In AK they use an RIB, no guns except side arms and were generally less "tense" than in the Atlantic. That's why I have respect for a whaleboats seaworthiness, I've seen them in some pretty bad weather.

Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #43
Veteran Member

whaleboat 1.jpg

This is what it looked like when I started, the house was fiberglass over plywood and moisture got in and rotted the wood so I had to remove most of the house. Also repower and install new fuel tanks (85 gal.) and hydraulic steering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whaleboat 1.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	42308  
Old 07-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #44
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
whaleboat 1.jpg

This is what it looked like when I started, the house was fiberglass over plywood and moisture got in and rotted the wood so I had to remove most of the house. Also repower and install new fuel tanks (85 gal.) and hydraulic steering.
keep the pictures coming as it progresses great!!!!
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #45
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
. Agonizing about labels is an exercise in futility.Choose your boat and go boating.
I'll 2nd that!
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #46
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
whaleboat 1.jpg

I'm in love.

Albin Owners Group • View forum - Swap / Trade / Sell

I included a link to the albin owners forum so you can see they have some problems selling and buying their small trawlers in the temperate zone. Once they went to Maine they found a small trawler in every cove and sold their's within a week. The Garden State has many good things, small trawlers ain't one of them.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I think that's the same with motorsailers up here. With our short season having a pilothouse and maybe even heat really extends a already short boating season. I can't have a boat without somewhere to stay inside if the weather sucks, but I go out in the winter too.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #48
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
whaleboat 1.jpg

Ok dammit, now you did it. You need to go start a thread in the refit sub forum and load it up with full details and photos. Check out Hendo78's thread for ideas of what we are after.

That is one great looking boat and deserves its own thread and documentation of its rebuild.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #49
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Fish53,
Is there a town in Maine called Washington. Confusing.

Like your boat a lot. Of course that's partly explainable in that she looks a lot like or somewhat like my own Willy. I think you mentioned a 20hp 3cyl engine before.

That boat looks bigger than the 26' whaleboat Uniflite made in the 70s. A bit higher freeboard too if my eye's good today. I'd like more pics to.

I converted a 27' wood troller in the 70s and owned an Albin 25 for 6 years. So I'm fond of small trawlers. My Willard is quite small too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #50
Veteran Member

She was actually built here in Maine at the Webbers Cove boatyard. They built 34',40', and 50' utility boats for the USN as well. One 34' hull was made into a lobsterboat and was the first fiberglass lobsterboat in Maine. My MWB is designed by Webber and has a full length skeg back to and supporting the rudder. Also she has more sheer, especially in the bow, than most MWB I've seen. It had a 4-108 in it but that was more power than she needs and I had the Kubota so.... I had a chance to buy a Willard 30 hull last year and didn't (to many boats already my wife said), wish I had now, very nice boats.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #51
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Fish53,
Is there a town in Maine called Washington. Confusing.

Like your boat a lot. Of course that's partly explainable in that she looks a lot like or somewhat like my own Willy. I think you mentioned a 20hp 3cyl engine before.

That boat looks bigger than the 26' whaleboat Uniflite made in the 70s. A bit higher freeboard too if my eye's good today. I'd like more pics to.

I converted a 27' wood troller in the 70s and owned an Albin 25 for 6 years. So I'm fond of small trawlers. My Willard is quite small too.
The CG MWB is totally different than the Navy version. Much fuller in the ends. Very much a drier ride than navy boats. Newer ones had 130HP Cummins power. Ocean Tech built many of them.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Is that the one that was built to be self bailing and had a Detroit 53 series in it?
Old 07-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #53
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Yes , the earlier boats had Detroits and later came with Cummins, Self bailing

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote