Old 07-19-2015, 11:52 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Traveling up a river, for each mile you travel, you will see more individual things at 7 knots than 60 knots.
We don't do rivers so i have no idea if going fast on them prevents you from seeing anything interesting or not. My guess is it depends on how obsevant the one doing the observing actually is...

Quote:
Shame you didn't have a better understanding of your needs when you bought your cabin cruier.
Well, we bought the boat we have in this part of the world back in 1998 because we were also supporting a floatplane and a cruising boat was a distant second to that. Used models of the type of boat we bought are a dime a dozen so we could start doing the cruising we wanted to do with very little cash outlay (our number one rule is never finance your toys). The downside is that it's slow as slugs. This was okay at the time. It isn't anymore.

We've since remedied this but that boat is not here so we still have to tolerate cruising like a glacier in this part of the world. Granted, its certainly much better than not cruising at all but it's still not ideal for us. We are looking forward to the day when this, too, is remedied.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #22

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We've since remedied this but that boat is not here so we still have to tolerate cruising like a glacier in this part of the world. Granted, its certainly much better than not cruising at all but it's still not ideal for us. We are looking forward to the day when this, too, is remedied.
I've observed an interesting trend on this site... it appears us "go slows" are occasionally having to defend our boat and lifestyle choices to owners of 20+ knot boats. Marin, this is an example of one of your posts from April:

I expected to see discussions about what's the best make of net reel or what's the best shape for an otter door, not about pathetic little 80 and 120 hp engines that are virtually useless other than maybe to power a hydraulic pump

We get--you don't like slow moving boats. But this is the "trawler" forum; and, whatever your or my definition, it is generally accepted that most so called recreational trawlers are slow cruisers that move like--in your words--a "glacier". Why do you even frequent this site if you disdain slow boats so much?

Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Entertainment......
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #24
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I guess it depends on why you have a boat. When I'm out on the boat I'm already at my destination - out on the water.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #25

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
I guess it depends on why you have a boat. When I'm out on the boat I'm already at my destination - out on the water.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #26
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Entertainment......
Exactly.

And there is occasionally information about destinations or equipment that is interesting or useful. There are also a few members here who i very much enjoy reading, like Eric Henning, Psneeld, RTF, and Northern Spy.

But, as I've said all along, the main value of forums like this is that they're very entertaining and provide quick breaks from what one is doing during the day. John provided a good thing when he set this up back in 2007.

And, as has been made clear by the recent discussion on what defines a "trawler," in the minds of most forum members it includes virtually every type of recreational watercraft on the planet. There are members here with 20 and 30 knot boats who staunchly defend their belief that their boats are "trawlers" and there are members here with 6 knot boats who believe their boats are "trawlers," and everything else in between. So in the minds of most of the members here speed is obviously no part of their definition of "trawler."

So the fact I think slow boats suck has, by the definition of "trawler" clung to by the bulk of the folks on this forum, no bearing whatsoever on anything. By this forum's definition the triple-engine 40 knot-plus cruising boat we have in another part of the world which looks nothing like any of the boats owned by members of this forum is every bit as much a "trawler" as Mark's Coot which is probably the most "trawler-like" of all the production boats represented on this forum.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Washington Maine
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am building a small "trawler", or more appropriately, I'm converting one from an ex-USCG 26ft motor whaleboat. I've installed a 23hp Kubota diesel and am in the process of building a modest cabin and pilothouse. It has Capilano hydraulic steering Simrad auto pilot, Furuno radar, GPS, and sounder and a laptop with plotter program. I hope to have it in the water by September and head south.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #28
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish53 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am building a small "trawler", or more appropriately, I'm converting one from an ex-USCG 26ft motor whaleboat. I've installed a 23hp Kubota diesel and am in the process of building a modest cabin and pilothouse. It has Capilano hydraulic steering Simrad auto pilot, Furuno radar, GPS, and sounder and a laptop with plotter program. I hope to have it in the water by September and head south.
That sounds cool. Any shots of the project?
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #29
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:

Pretty much!
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Washington Maine
I'll try to get some on here soon.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #31
Guru

City: Trenton
What were we talking about?

Oh yeah....Small trawlers in New Jersey. The Albin 25 is a nice boat. Don't know of any in New Jersey.

A friend of mine used to cruise up and down the coast from Florida to Canada with his wife in their Albin 25. He was the one who came up with the phrase "The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure". How true.

New Jersey is the home of the Sportfisher and the water-ski towboat. You are going to cast your net farther if you are looking for a trawler. The Chesapeake is good place to start. Farther up the coast in Long Island sound is good and New England is better.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #32

City: Michigan
Vessel Name: loafs and fishes
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Quote:
They are my brothers
loafs and fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #33
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Come on now F53, we need pics! Lots of Navy whale boats made into trawlers, but the CG version is much fuller in the ends and faster. I always thought they would make a great conversion.
I spent scary boarding trips running those on Georges Bank winter fisheries patrols in the 70's. Good luck!
Lets see lots of pictures.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
You got that right!! They say getting there is half the fun. My boat's so slow, 'getting there' makes up 75% of the fun!

Quote:
You're just toying with us, Fish53!! Now we need pics and documentation of the entire project. This is the stuff that many of us crave here. Hope to see proof soon, because they say...

If you ain't got no pics, it never happened!!

Welcome to Trawler Forum!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
. Agonizing about labels is an exercise in futility.Choose your boat and go boating.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
I've observed an interesting trend on this site... it appears us "go slows" are occasionally having to defend our boat and lifestyle choices to owners of 20+ knot boats. Marin, this is an example of one of your posts from April:

I expected to see discussions about what's the best make of net reel or what's the best shape for an otter door, not about pathetic little 80 and 120 hp engines that are virtually useless other than maybe to power a hydraulic pump

We get--you don't like slow moving boats. But this is the "trawler" forum; and, whatever your or my definition, it is generally accepted that most so called recreational trawlers are slow cruisers that move like--in your words--a "glacier". Why do you even frequent this site if you disdain slow boats so much?

This post should have come out long ago. We all know what a trawler is (except Marin) and what a trawler does. Mine's a bit of a slug though. Thanks for this post.

Re the post why pocket trawler? What's the matter w "small" trawler? Where's the need to be cute come from?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:35 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Oh damn....maybe we need to change the name to "trawler"forum.com
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Some might prefer "CrawlerForum" . I`m fine with TrawlerForum". Provides some sport for pedants, but even they know what it means.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:38 AM   #39
Scraping Paint

Quote:
No, what you have is fine. But it's a bloody good thing you didn't ask me to come with the name for you back in 2007 because I might have picked "ToyBoat Forum." Or "TBF.com" .

But then everyone would have had endless arguments about what defines a toy boat, photo number 1 or photo number 2.

Because, by the dictionary definitions, the term applies to both, right?

From our good buddies at Merriam-Webster:

Toy (noun): 1. Something a child plays with. 2.; Something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment.

PS-- One of these toys is not mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toy Boat.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	42304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchorage.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	42305  
Old 07-21-2015, 02:02 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
...and I just bought these new TF shirts!! This smells like a conspiracy to sell more shirts. Did No Mast put you up to this?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote