homemade trailerable aluminum trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would appreciate any feedback on the boat my dad and I designed and built last year. A trailerable (wet weight 5250 lbs), aluminum, semi-displacement trawler we named the North Westerner 2510. (More pictures online.) She's powered by a 60 HP High Thrust Honda and cruises at 9.5 mph while using 1.8 gallons an hour.

Attachments

• port-399-pix.gif
    port-399-pix.gif
    73 KB · Views: 7,460
  • above-motor.gif
    above-motor.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 3,119
Nice.

Attachments

• small belgium boat.jpg
    small belgium boat.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 335
Looks to be about 27'. Looks like something I'm going to really like. Where are you? Do you have better pics? Post photos of the bottom aft especially. Did you need to learn to weld? Is the cabin FG? I have a 60hp Suzuki on my 18 or 19' FG OB. Burns a tad more at 4000rpm. Do you have a fan to exhaust engine fumes from the well? Sure would like to have been a fly on the wall when you did your design work. I see a logo on the cabin. Did you snatch the cabin off another boat *...nice choice if you did and if you did'nt ...very nice glass work *....and design. The boat generally looks great!

Nomadwilly,
We live in Mount Vernon Washington it's about 1 hr north of Seattle. The boat is 26' long. We hired a local welder to do all the welding while we held sheets and made minor adjustments as needed.
The boat in the pictures is built 100% from scratch.
There doesn't seem to be a problem with exhaust fumes but we do plan to have a removable cover over the engine anyways, which will work as an other seat, cut down on the sound and make flat surface for a table.
We've had a lot of positive feedback on the boat so far, we decided to build boat number two and make a run of a little boat building company.
For more pictures, go to northwesternerboats.com
If you have anymore questions or feed back I'd appreciate it.

Very interesting. Could'nt find in a search <northwesternerboats.com>
<table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr class="tr tr-last tr-even"><td class="row2 borderline comment-content" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#f4f7fe;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" valign="top"><table style="font-size:12px;width:1125px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><tbody><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:1121px;" colspan="2">*northwesternerboats.com
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
Could you post a live link?

Jonathan,

Would you like to build this:

Tang-3.gif

Excellent boat and design objectives that should fit the present market really well. It looks much like a Sea Dory and that look sold very well. You should have no trouble selling her. Put some color on her. Bright colors like red frequently help sell aluminum boats. For my personal needs/wants I much prefer a deeper hull like the Atkin's boat I posted and I prefer my engine on the transom but I think your well mounted engine will sell better and CG wise it's a tad bit better. As a side note Suzuki offers lower gear ratios than Yamaha.*

We moved to Alaska 5 years ago and I lived in Arlington for 20 years. Thank you very much for the link Mike.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 09:58:10 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom