Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
Member
 
Bob Clinkenbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Glen-L Marine "Hercules" custom trawler/tug

This is the most economical, fully equiped cruising boat that can be trailered and towed without permits in all 50 states.* A few years ago the trailer and my tow rig combined, would have been too long for Georgia, that state I live in, but the restriction was changed making me legal now.* I have never been weighed but according to the weight specs at Glen-L Marine and estimating my all steel 34' trailer, and equipment aboard...I guess around 9-10 thousand lbs.* It tows easily behind the Ford F-350 I bought partially for the task...(I always wanted one anyway).* A smaller vehicle would have towed it fine, but I wanted better.

The boat....I wish I had built her.* I have all of the ability it takes, but I was into larger boats for years.* I started boating like many, due to my dad and his interest.* He built a few small boats...a 16' ski boat and an 18' cabin cruiser back in the 50's...I helped.** I have built a few small boats and restored a few large boats.* My first cruiser was a 25' Chris Craft Cavalier.* I would line up my several children on the cockpit seat with pfds and fishing poles in hand...we had a ball.* I then moved up to a 28' Owens Flagship, a 35' Chris Craft Roamer, a 56' Chris Craft Roamer, and a Roughwater 41'.

I bought this boat mostly because of the*<u>cost</u> of my "habit".* Marinas were costing $500 - $600 per month and hauling a 56' steel boat for a complete bottom job in Savannah would mean...Palmer Johnson...eeek at $13,000.* This is when I started re-thinking my "habit".* I wanted to be able to comfortably afford the boat and the maintenance and that would enhance the pleasure.

Back to why this boat is the "ideal" trailerable trawler.** She has everything and more than any other boat I have owned.* I have the basics, like fish finder/depth, vhf, loran-c, stand-alone chartplotter, coastal explorer on my laptop, auto pilot, and radar.* She even had a cb on board the PO used to talk with his cruising friends...I removed it.

Other systems include head with holding, shower with hot water from ac or engine cooling system, hydronic cabin heater from engine cooling system, raw water washdown pump, Dickerson solid fuel stove, alcohol/electric cooktop, huge Norcold refrigerated cooler in countertop that will drop to -5 on 12V, full galley, holds 40 gallons of fresh water and 80 gallons of fuel.* A Perkins M-30 with 29 hp that cruises at 7 kts with a maximum speed of 9 kts.* She burns 1/2 gallon per hour at 7 kts in calm water.

I have it parked in my driveway right now.* The local codes require me to park in the back yard due to my corner lot.* I haven't gotten any complaints from neighbors...all I know, like to watch my progress and stop by to say hello....but someday it may have to be moved to the back.** I really like being able to open the garage where all of the tools are and build my projects there and on the boat.* I have cable tv on the boat and the shore plug is plugged in my garage all of the time for heat or air-conditioning as needed.* The lcd/cd player tv is great while I am working inside.

Enough for now...as you can tell I have bonded with the boat and we are in love!* Can't wait to take her out and try my new radar, swim platform and nav programs out!*

-- Edited by Bob Clinkenbeard at 09:31, 2007-12-16
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mazda 626 050.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	313   Click image for larger version

Name:	mazda 626 054.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	314  
__________________
Advertisement

Bob Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
dougd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 300
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Bob, very cool boat! Is it plans built, kit?
__________________

dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Member
 
Bob Clinkenbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Hi Doug,
It is a Glen-L Marine plans built boat.* It was built in 1993 by her previous love, Louie.* He was a retired airman and his friend built the boat.* The boat is overbuilt with an extra layer on the bottom and sides making it 3/4" glassed over with epoxy.* They did a great job and I have made a few improvements in the last year I have owned her.* All of the wiring is tinned with soldered connections and again overbuilt.* I was very lucky to find the boat at a good price due to some repairs needed.* If anyone is interested, I have pictures during construction and I can post some here or on my website.
*
Thanks for asking.
Bob Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Here's a picture of my Hercules Trawler.

Knotinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Bob, can you tell me what type of Auto pilot you are using on your boat? I want to install a system on my vessel.* I am assuming you have hydraulic steering,* thanks.
My name is a Bob
Knotinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,288
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Very nice boats fellas. Post away. I'd never get tired of looking at those.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Bob and Bob----

That is a very useful looking boat you both have. I would expect a trailerable trawler would be equally versatile in the south and the Pacific Northwest. I'm not familiar with the south, but in the PNW there are a lot of places that are easily accessible by road. We have trailered our 17' Arima to Telegraph Cove at the upper end of Johnstone Strait where we have the whole of Blackfish Sound, the Broughton Archipelego, the Wallace Group, Knight and Fife inlets, etc accessible to us. Of course the Arima is just a day boat--- with something like the Hercules you could spend months cruising the area.

Farther up the coast, you could trailer on good highways to Prince Rupert or on not-as-good highways to Bella Coola for cruises at the upper end of the Inside Passage or the middle section respectively.

Or if you were really adventurous (and could afford the truck fuel) you could haul it across to Lake Superior.

I'm curious about one thing--- in terms of height is it comparable to a semi-tractor trailer? In other words, could you load it on one of the BC ferries, either the big Georgia Strait boats or the Port Hardy-Prince Rupert boats?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Newbie
 
TTBELICH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Hey,

*I have a 26 foot Hercules Trawler on a 6000 series trailer, check it out! Grace is a great boat. *

Here are some other boats I learned my leason with before I got Grace. I built that Phill Bolger Idaho. Still have it, thats the fun one.

T








-- Edited by TTBELICH at 22:21, 2009-03-09
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imgp6218.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	974   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn3932.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	975   Click image for larger version

Name:	991480485_9443c67135.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	976   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2220101.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	977   Click image for larger version

Name:	lg4.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	978  

Click image for larger version

Name:	catalina078.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	979   Click image for larger version

Name:	catalina077.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	980   Click image for larger version

Name:	catalina071.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	981   Click image for larger version

Name:	grace.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	982   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn4111.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	983  

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1354.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	984   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0802.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	985   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0835.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	986   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1514.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	987   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0052.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	988  

Attached Images
 
TTBELICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,288
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Very nice there T !!!!!!....Beautiful ladies!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,147
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Travis,

We looked at a Glen-L ( but I think it was a 28 ) just before buying our Willard. It had the same Perkins 4-107 as the Willard had. We still like that cabin configuration better than anything else. The Willard is the same except it has the aft cabin at the same height as the wheelhouse, a huge storage hold below and two tons of ballast in the keel.
What in Gods green earth was the matter w that fish boat w the large dry stack. That looks like a truly exciting trawler boat. Would be a stretch to trailer though.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
Newbie
 
TTBELICH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Eric,

That is a pic of the 32 foot 1938 Monterey Clipper I had at one point. It had a Detroit 2 53 in it with a supercharger. She was a real sea boat. I bought it off a guy in Wilmington Ca. for 4 k. I sold it because the engine was just exposed in the middle of the wheelhouse and it was like being in an engine room on a freighter.

Other than that it was a go anywhere in any weather type of boat! It had a 3 inch shaft, 3 to 1 reduction and 26 inch prop. Very good work boat but no room to sit... I sold it to a guy who had it moved over land back to Monterey bay. He has since restored it and its on display somewhere over there. Google Monterey clipper they still have a fleet of them at fishermans warf.

I like the Willards they have the same double end as the Monterey and nice lines.

T
TTBELICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
RE: Glen-L Marine &quot;Hercules&quot; custom trawler/tug

Hello Bob, does your little trawler have an auto pilot, if so can you provide any information as I would like to install a system on my Hercules trawler KNOT IN A Hurry

Bob Kay
Knotinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
Newbie
 
City: Davenport Iowa
Country: United States
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2
Hi guys, I'm looking at a Glen-L Hercules but need a trailer. They sell some nice aluminum trailers that have two bunks one for each side two shorter ones for the bow and a lowered frame for the keel probably 10"to12" for the keel. Does anyone on the blog have any experience with this.
Thanks
Butch
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:40 PM   #14
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking at a Glen-L Hercules but need a trailer. They sell some nice aluminum trailers that have two bunks one for each side two shorter ones for the bow and a lowered frame for the keel probably 10"to12" for the keel. Does anyone on the blog have any experience with this.
Thanks
Butch
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Be sure the trailer meets or preferably exceeds the weight of the boat for a margin of safety. The bunks should be adjustable to a point to allow the trailer to fit the boat. Any boat that's trailered needs support all the way to the transom to prevent a keel hog or hull hook at the transom. The GL Herc is a full framed boat and very strong. The bunk wood should have rounded edges and covered in carpet. Some newer trailers use a synthetic covering that I'm not sure what it's made of. Soft synthetic keel rollers would be good for that boat. The black rubber ones will leave scuffs on almost any hull. I like a fitted bow stop covered in carpet that helps support the bow.
__________________
What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:26 PM   #15
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,972
I would get drawings of the hull and send them to a couple of trailer manufacturers and see what they come up with. The larger manufacturers have probably built trailers for similar boats.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,147
TT,
“a 3” shaft ..... there’s your ballast unless it was aluminum.
I had an old canoe stern troller that had a 302 GMC gas engine in the middle of the wheelhouse. Took it out ASAP. Put a 4cyl Palmer gas engine in the old fish hold aft and it worked great.
I looked at a Monterey in Seattle w a 4cyl Buda. Was for sale at the Center for Wooden Boats.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #17
Member
 
City: Monterey
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Hankinson Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking at a Glen-L Hercules but need a trailer. They sell some nice aluminum trailers that have two bunks one for each side two shorter ones for the bow and a lowered frame for the keel probably 10"to12" for the keel. Does anyone on the blog have any experience with this.
Thanks
Butch

My 27’ Coastal Cruiser (very similar to a Hercules) sits on an EZLoader on rollers. Launches and retrieves easily. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	97080
kollerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #18
Member
 
City: Monterey
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Hankinson Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clinkenbeard View Post
This is the most economical, fully equiped cruising boat that can be trailered and towed without permits in all 50 states.* A few years ago the trailer and my tow rig combined, would have been too long for Georgia, that state I live in, but the restriction was changed making me legal now.* I have never been weighed but according to the weight specs at Glen-L Marine and estimating my all steel 34' trailer, and equipment aboard...I guess around 9-10 thousand lbs.* It tows easily behind the Ford F-350 I bought partially for the task...(I always wanted one anyway).* A smaller vehicle would have towed it fine, but I wanted better.

The boat....I wish I had built her.* I have all of the ability it takes, but I was into larger boats for years.* I started boating like many, due to my dad and his interest.* He built a few small boats...a 16' ski boat and an 18' cabin cruiser back in the 50's...I helped.** I have built a few small boats and restored a few large boats.* My first cruiser was a 25' Chris Craft Cavalier.* I would line up my several children on the cockpit seat with pfds and fishing poles in hand...we had a ball.* I then moved up to a 28' Owens Flagship, a 35' Chris Craft Roamer, a 56' Chris Craft Roamer, and a Roughwater 41'.

I bought this boat mostly because of the*<u>cost</u> of my "habit".* Marinas were costing $500 - $600 per month and hauling a 56' steel boat for a complete bottom job in Savannah would mean...Palmer Johnson...eeek at $13,000.* This is when I started re-thinking my "habit".* I wanted to be able to comfortably afford the boat and the maintenance and that would enhance the pleasure.

Back to why this boat is the "ideal" trailerable trawler.** She has everything and more than any other boat I have owned.* I have the basics, like fish finder/depth, vhf, loran-c, stand-alone chartplotter, coastal explorer on my laptop, auto pilot, and radar.* She even had a cb on board the PO used to talk with his cruising friends...I removed it.

Other systems include head with holding, shower with hot water from ac or engine cooling system, hydronic cabin heater from engine cooling system, raw water washdown pump, Dickerson solid fuel stove, alcohol/electric cooktop, huge Norcold refrigerated cooler in countertop that will drop to -5 on 12V, full galley, holds 40 gallons of fresh water and 80 gallons of fuel.* A Perkins M-30 with 29 hp that cruises at 7 kts with a maximum speed of 9 kts.* She burns 1/2 gallon per hour at 7 kts in calm water.

I have it parked in my driveway right now.* The local codes require me to park in the back yard due to my corner lot.* I haven't gotten any complaints from neighbors...all I know, like to watch my progress and stop by to say hello....but someday it may have to be moved to the back.** I really like being able to open the garage where all of the tools are and build my projects there and on the boat.* I have cable tv on the boat and the shore plug is plugged in my garage all of the time for heat or air-conditioning as needed.* The lcd/cd player tv is great while I am working inside.

Enough for now...as you can tell I have bonded with the boat and we are in love!* Can't wait to take her out and try my new radar, swim platform and nav programs out!*

-- Edited by Bob Clinkenbeard at 09:31, 2007-12-16


Bob, Great to see Hercules‘ out there. My - new to me- 27’ Coastal Cruiser is very similar. I‘d be very interested in seeing your interior build out as I’m about to rehab the interior on mine - and adding a few improvements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	97081Attachment 1
kollerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #19
Member
 
City: Monterey
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Hankinson Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kollerv View Post
Bob, Great to see Hercules‘ out there. My - new to me- 27’ Coastal Cruiser is very similar. I‘d be very interested in seeing your interior build out as I’m about to rehab the interior on mine - and adding a few improvements.

Attachment 97081Attachment 1


Also interested in your swim platform. Need to add one to mine. Was hoping to find something that could fold up for transport and tight slips. Are your build photos posted somewhere?
kollerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #20
Member
 
City: Monterey
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Hankinson Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 10
Travis, great Hercules! I have a Coastal Cruiser - a very similar Hankinson design. Would love to learn more about yours as I am about to rehab the interior of mine and make some other fixes. Would like to add a fold-up swim platform (mine is an i/o drive) and it needs a ladder to the roof. Do you mind sharing interior pix? What is on your mast? What other improvements did you make when you got it? How is it powered?
__________________

kollerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1978 Marine Trader 36 Sedan Trawler "Pescadora" (Harpswell, Maine) : reduced asking price $20,999 (negotiable) Daniel Kopyc Classifieds Archive - Closed To New Posts 1 07-19-2013 10:15 PM
Old Marine Trader "Dolphin" Swim Platform supports ARoss Classifieds Archive - Closed To New Posts 4 02-05-2012 06:25 PM
36 ft, 69' Vega/pilot, hull #5,"Dulcinea" (prev "Hornblower"), a newbie to TF baggins General Discussion 5 05-08-2011 09:41 AM
42" Nordic Tug (yeah... is a trawler) Doc Classifieds Archive - Closed To New Posts 20 08-03-2010 08:08 PM
Being "anal" & Living With It... Codger2 General Maintenance 20 07-13-2010 04:31 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×