Coaster 23 by Lovett/Chudley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am working on a project Coaster 23 which suffered years of neglect. She survived the ordeal and I am bringing her back to her former glory (on a budget). Due to the lack of info on these old boats, I decided to make a website sharing some of my photos and projects to hopefully help others. See link: https://islandtrip.home.blog

I have those PolyFlex engine mounts.
Don’t let the stiffness put you off. I’ve had super soft Yanmar mounts that had a lot more vibration than my present 4cyl diesel w PolyFlex. I pretty much don’t have any vibration at all.
My only complaint is that after 10 yrs or so the steel part of the bases are rusting.

I have those PolyFlex engine mounts.
Don’t let the stiffness put you off. I’ve had super soft Yanmar mounts that had a lot more vibration than my present 4cyl diesel w PolyFlex. I pretty much don’t have any vibration at all.
My only complaint is that after 10 yrs or so the steel part of the bases are rusting.

Thanks!
Willy- Ive had the boat out a few times since I installed the mounts and am quite pleased with the polyflex at cruising rpm. When the perkins is idle, she sure rattles the boat. I have a pillow block thrust bearing transferring prop thrust to the stringers, therefor I believe I can run a softer mount. The hope is less engine noise in the cabin. Even with new sound insulation, its pretty loud for the kids and first mate.

The blog/site will be updated many times over the next few month as I transfer various project photos from my phone to computer and find time to write something interesting. Lots of other projects have been completed.

Cheers

Ruth Eva, pictured on post #54 is coming under the care of a new owner. I am in the process of buying her, now named Orca. Three'ish years ago a friend bought her off John and Marilyn in Comox (posters of post #54), now I'm taking over as her caretaker. She has been in Maple Bay and will stay in this area as home port.
Photo to come.

Ruth Eva, pictured on post #54 is coming under the care of a new owner. I am in the process of buying her, now named Orca. Three'ish years ago a friend bought her off John and Marilyn in Comox (posters of post #54), now I'm taking over as her caretaker. She has been in Maple Bay and will stay in this area as home port.
Photo to come.
Photos as promised. 20200821_195106.jpeg20200821_195128.jpeg20200819_161625.jpeg20200819_161544.jpeg

Nomad Willy said he would love to have one to convert to an outboard. I recently saw one that had that done. " No regrets." Was the comment. 20200809_082438.jpeg20200809_082421.jpeg

Greg S,
Yes I have been a long-time admirer of the boat but I see something I would’nt like and that’s the high floor under the helms-mans seat. But it may be fine. Would need to try it. We had an Albin 25 before and the engine box-seat arrangement. We liked it in the Albin.

Glad your posting and I still like the boat. I like most all smaller trawler-like boats.

We had an engine failure just south of Hornby Is and had to get towed back to Comox. Spent a few days there and then a week working on the boat. Is the boat “Seabreeze” still there ?.. she’s a 40’ wood fishboat w pointy stern.

Thanks for posting

Greg S,
... Is the boat “Seabreeze” still there ?.. she’s a 40’ wood fishboat w pointy stern.

Thanks for posting

I'm south, at Maple Bay. Is this where Seabreeze was?
I don't recall her by name but it I saw her...

GS

Bob Noodat,
I thought Fort St James rung a bell.
Went on a solo road trip there bout 20 year ago. Made it to Chuchi Lake where I paddled for several hours in water that was on it’s way to the Arctic Ocean.
I remember a popular freight canoe there w sloped down sheer aft. Handsome craft. Basically a long dory like power canoe.
I still have a Clipper Mekenzie sq stern freight canoe. And a 15’ paddler.
Glad to see you here on TF.

Bob Noodat,
I thought Fort St James rung a bell.
Went on a solo road trip there bout 20 year ago. Made it to Chuchi Lake where I paddled for several hours in water that was on it’s way to the Arctic Ocean.
I remember a popular freight canoe there w sloped down sheer aft. Handsome craft. Basically a long dory like power canoe.
I still have a Clipper Mekenzie sq stern freight canoe. And a 15’ paddler.
Glad to see you here on TF.

Thank you Eric.

All those canoes sound like a lot of work. A canoe is something I would put an outboard on.

I guess a small hydrological correction is in order: the waters you would have paddled, through Stuart Lake and its neighbouring lakes, end up, via the Fraser River, at Vancouver. The Fraser, however, skirts very close to the Peace River, separated by the few miles of the historic Giscombe Portage, near Prince George, and it is the Peace that feeds into the Mackenzie River and thence the waters wend their way onwards to the Arctic Ocean. The earliest and longest travelled route to the Pacific from Hudson's Bay used Giscombe Portage, long before the modern southern routes were discovered.

Last edited:
Hi Bob and thanks for responding.
But I did mention I was in Chuchi Lake ... that does drain into the Mckenzie R.
I’d like to run my small motor home up there and go beyond Chichi Lake. Not sure where that would go though and a break-down would present a significant problem.

Hi Bob and thanks for responding.
But I did mention I was in Chuchi Lake ... that does drain into the Mckenzie R.
I’d like to run my small motor home up there and go beyond Chichi Lake. Not sure where that would go though and a break-down would present a significant problem.

You're right, I jumped to the wrong confusion..... Chuchi is further north and does indeed head Arctic-wards. I had Trembleur and Takla lakes in my head, which are directly navigable from Fort St. James and Stuart Lake. About 180 miles through the 3 lakes. You must have driven through FSJ and headed up towards Germansen Landing.

If anyone desires unspoilt views, we have them: our region, Bulkley-Nechako, has a population density of about 1.2 people per square mile. More bears than people.

If you coordinate a visit with one of mine, I'll tow you back if you break down!

View from our lakeside property, and our Seaward sailboat at Cottonwood Marina, Fort St. James

Attachments

• 2020 solstice sunset 02.jpg
    2020 solstice sunset 02.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200813_164949_resized.jpg
    20200813_164949_resized.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Coaster,
Really sorry the mounts shake at idle.
Did you talk to a serious expert at PolyFlex in the lower mainland BC? I did and described the boat and he picked the mount.
Perhaps the very heavy and solid stringers/engine beds in the Willard made it work for me. Would you say your engine beds are heavy and stout? I think these mounts are made of plastic. A sort-of gummy plastic like some flywheel dampeners have. Mine are still working great but I’m not happy w the rust on the outside. Would rather have the rust with a mount that works though.
Wish I could remember the name of the rep I talked to ... more I think of it it could be somebody at Klassen. Klassen is in the lower mainland probably Surrey. They have been converting Isuzu engines for BC and Alaska fish boats. You could call and ask.
There is a very soft mount called “Cusheyfloat” and Yanmar mounts are very soft. But soft mounts have their own set of problems. The soft mounts are seen on and work best on Python Drive and another more popular one that I can’t remember the name of ... it’s “____ Drive” The “Drives” I’m talking about use a thrust bearing on the prop shaft to permit larger engine movements w/o the problems usually associated w soft mounts.

I had an Albin 25 w a Yanmar and very soft mounts. Had a very annoying harmonic vibration that I never did find a solution for.

Yukon Engines in Seattle bought out Klassen’s inventory (in Seattle) and they could be helpful too.

Last edited:
Are you thinking aquadrive? Installed one in my old boat 30 years ago. Last time I saw the boat it was still working just fine.

Yes,
I had the (2 ear) baby Aqua Drive in my Albin 25.
Good tech support too for the Aqua Drive.
My only complaint was the two bolt mount. Hard to get aligned.

Here is an updated photo of the Coaster 23. Willy; the polyflex mounts are fine, now I just run at certain rpms and is very smooth. My vibration issue was due to barnacles on prop. The inboard diesel is good ballast and nice to have the large prop so deep. In calm weather I run the T9.9 yammy at 5.5 knots vs. 6 knots. Keeps the noise and fumes outside. Plus I have an auto pilot on the outboard.. garmin TR1. Both are efficient engines. Shes a small boat, but just enough room to cruise with two small kids and the mate. Pretty happy with her but I always got one eye on a larger single engine trawlers.

Note the pool noodle on the mooring lines, prevents the lines from wrapping around the chain under the bouy in light airs. Works great and the price is right.

Attachments

• 20210412_184840.jpg
    20210412_184840.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 22
Here is an updated photo of the Coaster 23. Willy; the polyflex mounts are fine, now I just run at certain rpms and is very smooth. My vibration issue was due to barnacles on prop. The inboard diesel is good ballast and nice to have the large prop so deep. In calm weather I run the T9.9 yammy at 5.5 knots vs. 6 knots. Keeps the noise and fumes outside. Plus I have an auto pilot on the outboard.. garmin TR1. Both are efficient engines. Shes a small boat, but just enough room to cruise with two small kids and the mate. Pretty happy with her but I always got one eye on a larger single engine trawlers.

Note the pool noodle on the mooring lines, prevents the lines from wrapping around the chain under the bouy in light airs. Works great and the price is right.

Awesome boats :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom