Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Your Farthest Cruise

How far was your farthest cruise and where did you go from and where did you go to? I've always wanted to leave CA and cruise down the coast and cruise the Sea of Cortez, then all the way to Panama. If I did this I would do it over at least a three year period. I have friends that have done that and even through the canal to the San Blas Islands or to other islands one of which found work as dock master at a large marina and his wife is the accountant bookkeeper.

I know many people who went to Mexico and as far down as Z town or Acapulco. Most get to Puerta Vallarta, find a slip in a marina and pay 300 dollar electric bills keeping cool until they are broke and come back saying it was just ok and they think cruising is over rated.

Only a few go and find anchorages and look for peaceful locations to get away and have fun fishing and exploring.

What has been your experiences?

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Bess and I are wimps... Ten hours from Carolina Beach, NC to Morehead City, NC is our longest PASSAGE. The longest time we have been away from home port was a week. Damn jobs!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
A one month cruise from Charleston, SC to Sanford, FL and back. Read about it here:

http://www.widman.biz/indigo/Adventu...IGH_COTTON.pdf

I had plans for a cruise from Charleston to the Chesapeake Bay but medical issues have put the plans on hold for now. That would be a two month or more trip.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Bess and I are wimps... Ten hours from Carolina Beach, NC to Morehead City, NC is our longest PASSAGE. The longest time we have been away from home port was a week. Damn jobs!
If school/jobs permit this summer, we'll run the Virginia loop with ya. Two days up, two days back. Once done this Spring semester, I start easing off. Got to see what's left for vacation!

We splash in 3 days!

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
A one month cruise from Charleston, SC to Sanford, FL and back. Read about it here:

I had plans for a cruise from Charleston to the Chesapeake Bay but medical issues have put the plans on hold for now. That would be a two month or more trip.
Sanford - St Johns River. Whoa. I'm reading this later today (more text than I can absorb in my hectic day). I spent my boyhood summers near Crescent Lake. Bass Capital of the World.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #6

City: EC FL
From the FL keys to Eastport ME.

Hawk channel, Biscayne bay, AICW, Chesapeake, C&D canal, Delaware bay, Atlantic coast off NJ, NY harbor, Long Island Sound, Buzzards bay, Cape cod canal, offshore to Monegan isl, (didnít stop, itís just a waypoint.), Penobscot bay, then on to Easport. My insurance policy stops at Eastport.

About 3000 miles each way. 9 months up and back together. Lotís of side trips.

Mike
P.S. I'd consider Rodman reservoir As the bass capital.
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
We are coastal cruisers. Our longest continuous cruise is from Boca Grande on Florida's West coast down through the Keys and up to Washington, DC. About 1500 miles. We do the Bahama Islands, but usually log about 5-600 miles on those trips. None of our cruising would relate much to cruising down to Baha.

Larry M, Daddyo and others are the real long rangers on the Forum. The East coast has so many ports and sheltered waters that it is nothing like the Oregon, California, and Mexican coast. We can usually get into sheltered water very quickly.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I've taken two boats on the same cruise.

1500NM+ from the Seattle area, up the inside passage, and Crossing the Gulf of Alaska, which is a 320NM open water crossing in itself.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Thanks, that was a great read.

The East coast cruises are different than out West. The Pacific gives us seas, swells and current you don't have there and we don't have an ICU. Once you leave a breakwall, you're out to sea the entire trip.

Is your boat a single?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I've taken two boats on the same cruise.

1500NM+ from the Seattle area, up the inside passage, and Crossing the Gulf of Alaska, which is a 320NM open water crossing in itself.
That's a haul, Kevin. Are those Mitsubishi diesels in your boat? I had a slip neighbor with a boat like yours. I went fishing with him a few times. A nice boat.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Believe me there's strong winds, strong currents, waves, rocks, sandbars, thunderstorms, tornados and an endless supply of thoughtless boaters that make cruising the East Coast in less than 50 foot trawlers a veritable cruisers paradise...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Guru

Oh, I'm sure there is. I am not taking away anything from the roughness there. I was just commenting that we go immediately to sea between legs. I could see there are advantages both ways. I would think traffic in narrow seaways could get interesting combined with winds.

Out here, there are no trades and for the most part sailboaters motor mostly. When the wind does come up, which is daily, it is an afternoon wind and can blow easily 15 to 25 kts. That picks up the seas a bit.

We can do coast wise cruising here from Santa Barbara to San Diego and even to Ensenada, Mexico. The Mexican port clearance dance has improved and the mordita has slowed some.

The problem here with that is getting a slip or an anchorage. CA isn't cruiser friendly in that way. Here, planning and calling ahead is a must.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Thanks, that was a great read.

The East coast cruises are different than out West. The Pacific gives us seas, swells and current you don't have there and we don't have an ICU. Once you leave a breakwall, you're out to sea the entire trip.

Is your boat a single?
Thanks. Yes my boat has a single diesel engine.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
Guru

That's great fuel mileage and I thought it must be a single. I get anywhere from 2 to 2.5 Nautical MPG with my boat and that is running it from 1500 to 1700 RPM which gets me between 8 and 9 Kts. Sometimes in a flat sea way no current to speak of I can do 9.5 with the GPS.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #15

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
The longest I have done without a break was a 70' fast motor yacht from Fort Lauderdale to Cleveland Ohio, a little longer distance but with a stop in Fort Lauderdale for a few months was a brand new 52' Buddy Davis Express with a pair of 1350 HP V-12s from Egg Harbor, NJ to Fort Lauderdale, then later on to Brownsville TX on the Mexican border. Had to stop every night for fuel so I went the coastal route.
However these were working trips, I was getting paid and would never have time to enjoy the stops along the way when I was doing a delivery. On a few boats that I was full time captain rather than a delivery I went from Florida to New England and returned over an entire summer.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
3 hours.

Really.

Winter tarp came off a few weeks ago, and waiting until mid May when it warms up enough to paint the bottom of our 'new to us' boat, free the raw water seacock, change the impeller, etc. Have 3 weeks off in July though, so stay tuned

Does a 6 month sea kayak trip on BC's coast count?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: -
So far the longest cruise has been three weeks and the destination has been Desolation Sound. We've been much farther north than that but in our trailer fishing boat, not the GB. Someday we hope to do 5 month cruises up the Inside Passage in BC and perhaps even SE Alaka, although so far from our floatplane trips we prefer BC to SE.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Our farthest would be bringing the boat to Houma, Louisiana from Annapolis, MD, about 1500 miles. We left Thanksgiving day and got home Feb 7th we left her in Charleston for a week to spend Christmas at home. We crossed FL at Lake Okeechobee.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
2 years, 8500nm, virtually the entire eastern seaboard, Hudson River, most of the adjacent islands (not Bermuda), SW FL and lots of side trips. "Journey, not the destination" type thing. It was way too short.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
FF
Guru

I've always wanted to leave CA and cruise down the coast and cruise the Sea of Cortez, then all the way to Panama.

Have you checked out what the RETURN trip would be like ,

or will you continue to the US East coast , visit and sell the boat?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchoring out, cruising, long distance, on the hook