Old 07-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #101
FF
Guru

Pictures of boats going up and down in a lock are fine.

BUT we were treated to a passage in the Corinth Canal where the bridge was lowered into the water so the vessel could pass over it while submerged.

▶ 1:58

Oct 24, 2015 - Uploaded by Αναστάσιος Στατήρης
The Corinth Canal in Greece cuts through the narrow Isthmus of Corinth and ... The primary advantage of ...

Corinth Canal and submersible bridge at Isthmia - Corinth Forum ...

www.tripadvisor.com › ... › Corinth › Corinth Travel Forum

TripAdvisor

May 13, 2009 - Corinth Canal and submersible bridge at Isthmia. Watch this Topic ... Are cars stopped regularly so that the bridges can be lowered? If so, how ...

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #102
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: Snow Mouse, Sanity
Vessel Model: BROOM 42, Birchwood 33
Hi FF.
The reason we show the interior and operation of locks is to illustrate to people with no previous experience who may be thinking of a similar adventure what to expect and prepare for, a, different sizes of locks encountered in Europe and b, show the different methods for safely attaching your craft.
In France and some of the very small 'turf' canals in Holland they are still using wooden gates with built in sluices, not much changed from Leonardo Da Vinci's first concept of a lock.
Because of the size of the barges operating here they obviously need much larger locks and wooden gate type would simply collapse with the sheer weight of water and would be impractical and guillotine locks became 'de riguer' for many years.
They are now adopting the 'lowering gate' type similar to the Corinthian canal for the newly built very deep 'shaft' locks both in Belgium and Germany.
Because of the method of construction these locks fill from a series of channels in the base of the lock and are so gentle you hardly need to tie up during the locking cycle.
My first experience of the 'lowering gate' type was in Padstow many years ago after crossing the Bristol channel on my first journey from Ireland to the Spain.
But Don't worry there are no locks on the next leg of our journey up the river Rhine.

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #103
Guru

Hello fellow TF'rs
I apologize for the absence of updates over the last few weeks. No it's not the hangovers from the delicious German beer, it's the German internet facilities, or lack of them.
There are very strict rules here in Germany, for example cutting your lawn or making any noise or disturbance on Sundays and on visual things too like TV's aerials and Satellite dishes disfiguring their houses, factories or countryside, as a consequence they use fibre optic cable systems and Wi-Fi, called Wlan, pronounced veelan) is rarely available.
However as we've just crossed the continental divide and I now have full use and will begin to update TF as soon as possible.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:55 PM   #104
Guru

At last we got the good news that the river Rhine which had been in flood condition for some months due to heavy rain in the Alps was safe for us to navigate.
Quick checks got us back in cruising mode and we set off to good wishes and many Gute Fahrts (good journey) from our new found German friends who had been so helpful to us. Very friendly and kind hosts.

The first leg of our journey to us from Datteln down the Rhein-Herne canal to Duisburg. Geographically we were skirting the Ruhr valley industrial hub of Germany, not everything is smoking chimneys as the authorities are turning derelict factories into recreational parks by literally removing all traces industry and returning the land to it's former glory. (photo).
Old coal burning factories now use gas and even the gasometers are prettified.(photo's).
We even saw where someone had imported sand and made a beach with rows of deckchairs and a bar, even the surrounding windbreak wall had a tropical island mural.
This is a very busy commercial water way and just look at the headroom this 'Rhine barge' has.(photo)
Duisburg is the largest inland port in Europe and it would shame many a seaport, the barge skippers are just brilliant at handling their craft they would shame many of us and these things can be up to 6.000 tonnes ! (photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2839.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	55479   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2855.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	55480   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2853.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	55481   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2858.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	55482   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2846.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	55483  

Name:	DSCN2854.jpg
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	55484  
Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #105
Guru

According to the pilot book we could go into Duisburg marina and fill up with fuel before tackling the river Rhine. Unfortunately we picked a time when one of the bridges was having repairs after the winter floods and so we set off up the Rhine to the first marina. This was obviously our first experience ad if I tell you it was like a marine motorway believe me I'm not exaggerating.
This was our first experience of 'Blue Boarding'
When a skipper shows a metre square blue board with a flashing white light in it's centre it means he wants to pass you on the opposite side ie starboard to starboard due to his draft or manoeuvrability, you in turn show a blue board to show you have acknowledged his intention and will comply, we showed a blue towel which seemed to be acceptable, note the blue board in the 5th photo.
Bear in mind we are in a line of maybe 5 180 metre long barges and an opposite equal number were coming towards us and just make life interesting they were all going faster than us against a 5 km current ! Exciting or what ?
I think some of the crew were damn near touching cloth....
Factories line this part of the Rhine for kilometre after kilometre.
The large tower is Dusseldorf television tower.(photo).

River bank management 'green' style, one employee, 200 hundred sheep = no machines, no diesel or petrol used, 1 crop of wool and 1 crop of spring lamb per year, no depreciation.
No redundancy or holiday pay small sickness bills.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2859.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	55485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2860.jpg
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	55486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2862.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	55487   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2863.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	55488   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2865.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	55489  

Name:	DSCN2876.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	55490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2878.jpg
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	55491   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2880.jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	55492  
Old 08-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #106
Guru

A little background information on the Rhine.
The Rhine formed the Northern border of the Roman empire along with the Danube river.
The source of the Rhine is the Rheinfelden glacier which lies 3,353 metres above sea level and at 2,326 kms is Europe longest river and it flows through six countries, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Austria, Germany, France and the Netherlands(Holland) emerging into the North sea via the Rotterdam.
Called variously the Rhein in Germany, Rhine in France and the Rijn in Holland.
Duisburg as I mentioned earlier is the largest inland port and acts as a feeder to the ports of Rotterdam, Antwerp and Amsterdam via the Rhine barge network.
A film was made about the bridge at Remagen where the American 1st division fought a bloody war to capture the bridge and ensure General Patton's advance. The bridge was ordered to be destroyed by the Wehrmacht but the German engineers built it so well the bridge failed to collapse after the defenders blew the charges and it was finally captured by the Americans on the 7th of March 1945.
General Eisenhower commented afterwards that the bridge was 'Worth its weight in gold'.
It was dismantled after the war and a ferry operates there now.
Just look at the navigation marker to see the strength of the current, we were making an average of 6 kilometres an hour, (3 knots) against this current for 200 kilometres.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2973.jpg
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	55493   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2989.jpg
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	55494   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2994.jpg
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	55495   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2998.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	55496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2922.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	55497  

Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #107
Guru

When we approached the Rhine we initially 3 options.

Option 1. To go up the Rhine, then the Moselle and Saar valleys.
There'd been plans for many years to canalize the river Saar and it's locks as far as Saarbrucken to 'Rhine barge' dimensions, 200 metres by 20 metres to allow the Rhine barges access to the coalfields and steel works at Saarbrucken.
The politicians procrastinated as usual and by the time the work was completed the coal mining had all but been superseded by natural gas, but there was a questionable 10 kilometres section on the border with France right at the summit of the continental divide 1200 metres above sea level that may still be closed.
We didn't want to go 400 kilometres just to have to turn back.

Option 2. Travel up the Rhine to Koblenz, then via the Moselle valley, over the continental divide through Luxembourg and from there into the French canal system. Dooable.

Option 3.
If the current on the Rhine proved to be too strong for our craft.

There's a spur of mountains that stretch from Switzerland to Belgium variously called the German Alps, Bavaria, Vosges mountains in France through Luxembourg, in Belgium the Ardennes ( famous for it's delicious Pate for the gourmands among us) 'and, (where the Battle of the Bulge was fought in WW2) for the military historians amongst us.

We could've made a tactical withdrawal (good soldiers never admit defeat) and gone the long way round, down the Rhine, back into Holland, Belgium, around the end of the continental divide via the Sambre and Muese rivers and from there into the French canal system.
That would take a lot of time and fuel.

Fortunately for us I speak enough conversational German and during a chat with a Dutch skipper we found that the Saar route was open, IF we could make it up the Rhine.
In the 2015/16 dark winter night planning sessions, we as wine lovers had wished to go via the Moselle valley on our adventure before dementia to see and taste the famous wines of this region. The Sylvaners, Rieslings, Liebfraumilch, Pinot Noir, Sekt and Gewrztraminers and other lesser known wines. We've found from experience that many of these 'local' wines are head and shoulders above very expensive wines with good brand marketing.

We opted for option 1, the fuel burn was heavy on the pocket against the current but we had every faith in our Frank Perkins trusty diesel engine and she never missed a beat.tg.

When we reach the border with France I will post a map of our route through Germany so you can see our progress.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #108
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Was very disappointed there was no longer a bridge at Remagen when we visited Germany.

Observed the sinking bridge at the Corinth Canal about ten years ago. Surprised the heck out of me (sinking bridge!). We watched it at the restaurant from the same point of view as the photos.

I'm fortunate when three out of four people pay attention to me.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 PM   #109
Guru

I managed to cruise in an earlier life (with a sailboat) extensively around the Ionans and Levkas canal but never got time to do the Corinthian.
I think they took down the old bridge at Remagen to prevent a rerun of the last fracas.
In fact there are surprisingly few bridges over the Rhine considering the vast population that line it's banks.
As the Germans say, there are Germans, and there are Rhinelander's.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #110

City: Eastern KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
According to the pilot book we could go into Duisburg marina and fill up with fuel before tackling the river Rhine. Unfortunately we picked a time when one of the bridges was having repairs after the winter floods and so we set off up the Rhine to the first marina. This was obviously our first experience ad if I tell you it was like a marine motorway believe me I'm not exaggerating.
This was our first experience of 'Blue Boarding'
When a skipper shows a metre square blue board with a flashing white light in it's centre it means he wants to pass you on the opposite side ie starboard to starboard due to his draft or manoeuvrability, you in turn show a blue board to show you have acknowledged his intention and will comply, we showed a blue towel which seemed to be acceptable, note the blue board in the 5th photo.
Bear in mind we are in a line of maybe 5 180 metre long barges and an opposite equal number were coming towards us and just make life interesting they were all going faster than us against a 5 km current ! Exciting or what ?
I think some of the crew were damn near touching cloth....
Factories line this part of the Rhine for kilometre after kilometre.
The large tower is Dusseldorf television tower.(photo).

River bank management 'green' style, one employee, 200 hundred sheep = no machines, no diesel or petrol used, 1 crop of wool and 1 crop of spring lamb per year, no depreciation.
No redundancy or holiday pay small sickness bills.
Does the pilot house on the "Arizona" move up and down for bridge clearance?
Notlandlockedforlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #111

Sorry about that. My fingers are too fat for my phone. Meant to copy post of the boat pics
Old 08-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #112
Guru

Notlandlockedforlong.
Yes they are hydraulically raised and lowered for passing under bridges.
They also have an array of camera's and can monitor everything from the wheelhouse.
One of the most impressive things is their cleanliness, apart from the odd scruff they are all immaculately kept.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #113
Guru

As we move further up the Rhine the impressive twin spires of Koln (Cologne) cathedral loom up on the horizon. Unusually the twin spires are not only hollow to reduce weight but they are perforated to let the wind pass through and reduce pressure on the building..

A few photo's of Koln's riverside.

Koln riverside theatre.
Very interesting chocolate museum.
Tourists having a whale of a trip, appropriately it was called 'Moby Dick'.
The two industrial jetty's belong to Shell refinery. One for dry goods and the other for filling tanker barges, they can fill/unload 8 barges at the same time.
Copy of a Mississippi steamer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2891.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	55510   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2901.jpg
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	55511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2905.jpg
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	55512   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2908.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	55513   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2918.jpg
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	55514  

Name:	DSCN2927.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	55515   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2923.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	55516   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2884.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	55517  
Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Notlandlockedforlong.
Yes they are hydraulically raised and lowered for passing under bridges.
They also have an array of camera's and can monitor everything from the wheelhouse.
One of the most impressive things is their cleanliness, apart from the odd scruff they are all immaculately kept.
Haha! I can't say that for our towboats! We have something similar on the northern Ohio/Pittsburg/Three Rivers area. Much to the chagrin of their captains, they are affectionately referred to as "jack-off boats" due to their hydraulic manipulations.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #115

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Echo
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Keep the updates coming! Sounds like an incredible trip. Thanks for sharing.
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #116
Guru

As we progress slowly up the Rhine here are a few more photo's you may enjoy.
One I missed because my camera angle was to narrow, the Ford car factory took up 5 kilometres of riverside. Ole Henry woulda been proud.
1, Rhine barge dimension hotel boat, they can usually hold 150 passengers in comfort.

2,This is This is the barge loading/unloading facility at Shell refinery at Cologne.

3, Floating Chinese restaurant.

4, General view Northwards.

5, An old German schloss (castle).

6, I gave you pictures of windmills in Holland and, as the title of the blog is windmills and wine, here are the vines for those lovely white wines.

7,This boat was carrying American tourists and they flew the old star spangled banner in respect of the passengers.

8, This is called a Pegel, a fixed watermark, when the level of the Rhine reaches the topmark 11 all traffic is stopped, above 1 mark no pleasure craft may navigate.

9, If you want to get ahead in life get out of bed early, if you go up the Rhine early you catch natures beauty.

10, End of the line for the Vulkan Express.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2895.jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	55569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2923.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	55570   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2934.jpg
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	55571   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2939.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	55572   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2941.jpg
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	55573  

Name:	DSCN2950.jpg
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	55574   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2951.jpg
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	55575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2959.jpg
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	55576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2965.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	55577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3013.jpg
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	55578  

Old 08-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #117
Guru

Now for this next post you've gotta do something for me.
Before you start to read it go and get a glass of Irish Whiskey, none of that Bourbon stuff or other pretenders, c'mon guys we need the exports !

OK, glass full and we're all set ?

The Lorelei

Just upriver from where we are on the river Rhine is a rock called the Lorelei in the middle of the river, it's made of slate and stands 132 metres (433 ft) high at a place called Sankt Goarhausen.

A Nymph is said to live on the rock, she dresses in white with a halo of stars in her hair and sings an enchanting melody that no sailor can resist, any who try to reach her never return.

A young warrior called Ronald was out boating one day being rowed around by an old skipper, once Ronald saw the Nymph he was enchanted and pleaded with the old skipper to row him closer, the skipper told him not to be foolish and if the old skipper took him to the Nymph Ronald's father would be very angry.
Ronald would hear no more argument, he wanted the Nymph and he jumped over the side of the boat into the water to go to her.
The old skipper was distraught and searched for hours but alas he couldn't find young Ronald, with a heavy heart he returned to tell Ronald's father about the loss of his son.
Ronald's father ordered his troops to go the island to search for Ronald and the Nymph.
As they searched the island they saw the Nymph on top of the rock and as they approached her she tore off her necklace of pearls and jumped into the water causing it to boil and froth like never before.
The turbulent water washed up young Ronald's body onto the shore.

And to this very day sailors are warned of the Nymph and to steer clear of the rock and not to heed her enticing song.

General view of the Rhine.
An old paddle steamer on the Rhine, actually it's a twin screw diesel.
The Lorelei rock.
Lorelei.
This tanker barge skipper was enticed by the Lorelei to visit her on the rock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lorelei_View[1].jpg
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	55579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loreley_rhine_valley_wp_d_schmidt_08_07[1].jpg
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	55580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marcus-Scholz-L[1].jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	55581  
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #118
Guru

We turned off the Rhine at Koblenz to enter the canalised river Moselle, known more commonly as the Moselle valley.
During the Roman empire period Koblenz was a Roman border crossing point, known as Castellum apud Confluentes. The Castle at the Confluence of the rivers.
Any person wishing to enter the Roman empire had to pay a substantial forfeit and were then given a 24, 48, hours pass or 1 week, 1 month certificate to be carried at all times. Security was the responsibility of the army and any person who did not honour the rules, or was an illegal entrant was immediately jailed, thrown out of the empire and banned from re-entry for life.
Something our politicians would do well to bring back.

This is probably one of the most visited regions in Germany. In the 60's when Australia was looking for immigrants, many German people left this region to settle there taking with them some grape vines for their own use.
When they arrived they discovered that the Barossa and Hunter valleys provided the best climate and they settled there and began to grow grapes. The rest is history and the Australian wine industry was born, one of the best known is Wolff Blass, that's his name and his ancestors were from this region in Germany.
There's even a small town just outside Adelaide which is a copy of a German town.

Photo's.
Statue at Koblenz of King Freiderich Wilhelm 1V at the junction of the Rhine and Moselle rivers.
General view of the continuation of the Rhine.
Vines, Vines and more Vines.
The Moselle river.
The vintners use these tiny rail wagons to bring the grape harvest down from the terraces.
Each vintner advertises his name.
Impressive autobahn bridge over the Moselle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3034.jpg
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	55584   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3042.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	55585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3041.jpg
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	55586   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3045.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	55587   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3048.jpg
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	55588  

Name:	DSCN3049.jpg
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	55589   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3055.jpg
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	55590  
Old 08-27-2016, 01:56 AM   #119
Guru

The Moselle valley is beautiful and it's income comes not only from wine and tourists.
Koblenz is, and always has been, a garrison town and where once the Roman Legionnaires tramped it's streets now it the Bundeswehr (German Army).
The procurement and testing establishment is based in Koblenz along with support services bring the garrison up to 9,000 of military plus their families.
The river Moselle not only carries tourist traffic but is also a through route to Luxembourg and Saarbrucken for commercial barges.

The terraces date back to Roman times and the whole region is simply picture postcard gorgeous as you'll see from the photo's below .

1, Roses are planted at the end of rows of vines, they're more delicate than the vines and any greenfly or disease will show on the rose first, alerting the vintner to address the problem quickly.

2, One of the little motorised trucks on rails for bringing down the wine from the terraces.

3,4,5,6,7,8 Architecture of this region.

9, Modern type of sun dial, the name Pommern,
is the local village.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3068.jpg
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	55599   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3066.jpg
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	55600   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3082.jpg
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	55601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3083.jpg
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	55602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3073.jpg
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	55603  

Name:	DSCN3054 (2).jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	55604   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3107.jpg
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	55605   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3117.jpg
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	55606   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3125.jpg
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	55607   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3128.jpg
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	55608  

Old 08-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #120
Guru

There are two main towns in the Moselle valley, one is called Cochem,the other is Bernkastle.
Cochem being the first 'up' river, they have a small but practical municipal harbour protected by a small breakwater to stop the surge from passing barges.
We spent a very pleasant evening strolling around the shops, sampling the wine and having a gorgeous meal in a restaurant.

There are 5 main grape varieties grown here but only Pinot Noir gives red wine.
White wine is in the predominance in Cochem but don't for a moment ignore the reds, they are full bodied, super smooth and gorgeous, you really can't fail to enjoy the silky pleasure as you sip a glass.

I hope you enjoy the photo's.

1, Weathervane with a difference.
2, Old post box.
3,Rooftop restaurant in Cochem for delicious schnitzels.
4, The real McCoy.
5,So hard to choose.
6,Main street view.
7,Superb Carillon plays on the hour.
8,Yet more wine.
9, Souvenir shop, look at the pewter German bier steins(mugs) and the pewter bier horn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3145.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	55612   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3155.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	55613   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3156.jpg
Views:	17