Old 12-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #261

City: South East
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Myself and Evelyne on board 'Snow Mouse', Patrick & Geraldine Butler who cruised in company with us on 'Cool Running's' ,are now safely moored in Narbonne for the winter.
We would like to thank the TF site team for supporting us and allowing us to use the TF site.
We sincerely hope you enjoyed travelling with us on our adventure Windmills and Wine, we certainly enjoyed having you along with us in mind and spirit and your supportive comments.

MAY WE WISH EACH AND EVERYONE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY, HEALTHY AND SAFE CRUISING NEW YEAR.

We're happy to say that Amazon seems to have redressed the problems of our e book sales 'How To Cruise Between Two Seas', The Wolf's Lair etc.
More importantly I'm happy to say we've just concluded a deal with a print on demand company who will publish our books via Amazon paperbacks. An e book & paperback version of Windmills & Wine will be on sale shortly.
IR.
Happy Merry Christmas to you and your family, I wish you the best for 2017.
Warm thanks for your wonderful thread. Looking forward for your next travelogue.
Cheers,

Old 12-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #262
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: Snow Mouse, Sanity
Vessel Model: BROOM 42, Birchwood 33
Merci Beaucoup Pilou.
Tres Bon Annee.
Votre Mt Canigou est magnifique adjourdhi avec une couverture de niege.

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:49 AM   #263
Guru

For any one still following the thread I'm happy to announce that a print on demand company in England has agreed to print four of my books, they cover an earlier single handed adventure from Ireland to the Med via Paris. How to enjoy cruising in retirement.That was my first attempt at writing as friends kept urged me to do it, I think they were curious and wondered if I'd make it, I got the researching writing bug.
How to cruise between two seas (Canal du Midi) Atlantic to the Med.
The Wolf's Lair which is all about the key part played by logistics in modern life, it's interesting, honestly !
'Encore' covers the trip from Ireland to Dunkirk, posts shown on TF as 'Ireland to the Mediterranean part 1)

These will be available shortly from Amazon as print on demand.
The 'Windmills and Wine' thread you're reading now is also morphing into a book, between catching up on admin and believe me that's no easy task in France, the beaurocracy here would make a bloody Saint swear, changing the car etc, Xmas holidays, trip back to England, sorting out the medical side before bits start to droop or drop off, planning a holiday to Australia (by air).
I'm a bit slow but I can assure you I'm on the job.
The main aim of the books is to act as inspiration to others and serve as a reference for future planning.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #264
Guru

I'm pleased to say that the e book version for Kindle readers of 'Windmills and Wine' is now available on Amazon.com if anyone's interested
I'm still waiting for the paperback versions but it takes time to register copyrights and the books with the British library, will update you as we make progress.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #265

Quote:
I'm pleased to say that the e book version for Kindle readers of 'Windmills and Wine' is now available on Amazon.com if anyone's interested
I'm still waiting for the paperback versions but it takes time to register copyrights and the books with the British library, will update you as we make progress.
I already bought it. Quite frankly, very interesting book, fascinating travelogue, style is fine, lots of stunning pictures, rounded out by great & comprehensive historical stories, and 735 pages ! Very good job, a must read. Only 9.40 euros !
Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #266
Guru

Thank you for your support and kind comments Pilou, Merci Beaucoup j'ai enormement apprecie votre commontaire.
As you'll know from your own experience it takes an enormous amount of time in the planning and execution, amazingly we took over 5,000 photo's during the journey as we we're passing only once just to get the 'right' photo with a little 'feeling'.
We didn't go for crowd funding for our adventure because I'm an old fashioned guy and like to work for any rewards that may come from any book sales.
A five star rating and a good review on Amazon would be helpful and I thank you in advance.
I offer humble thanks to all who followed the blog.

We too look at the other TF blogs to increase our knowledge base and appreciate eveeryones efforts for the good of the TF forum and all it's members.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #267

You are welcome IR, I just expressed my sincere appreciation of your very interesting book.

I already leaved a well deserved 5 stars feedback but that was on amazon.fr from where I bought your electronic book.

I understand what you meant about the enormous amount of time and numerous photos to orderning and sorting out. I am still far behind the writing of my travelogue in Scotland - Caledonian Canal - Loch Ness which was a much shorter journey than yours.

Good luck and best wishes !
Old 02-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #268
Guru

I've just been checking on Amazon Kindle and 'Peter from Athlone' bought one of my books 'How To Cruise Between Two Seas'.
Apparently his Kindle download was faulty, if he contacts me via a TF private message I'll send him a plain cover DVD replacement FOC as a gesture of good faith. The fault has been rectified to the best of my knowledge.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #269
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Just serve me the wine, please.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:04 AM   #270
Guru

We live in the largest vineyard in the world and even export some to give the California reds a little 'body' and your welcome to share a bottle of super smooth 'Faugere.'
Old 02-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Just serve me the wine, please.
Is that a glass of one of the delicious Sonoma white wines ?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:28 AM   #272
Guru

Desolee Pilou.
the Faugere is a local red from near St Chinian.
If you like white how about a dozen huitres with some Picpoul Pinet ?
We are going to Spain by car tomorrow and I'll give your regards to Mt Canigou and the Clos St Georges.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #273

Yes IR, I meant about MarkPierce's photo.
Definitly agree for huitres with cooled Picpoul, where that ? I suggest in Sète !

Very kind of you, please pass my regards to Canigou, my birth area. 2 weeks ago I was in Prades for the funeral of my uncle, Canigou was wearing its long snow's coat, always watching over the Catalans .
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #274
Guru

My favourite place for the huitres would be Aigues Mortes in the square, after that Sete, Gruissan or Collouire.
We will go shortly on Le P'tit Train Jaune while the snow is still on the mountains.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #275

Quote:
My favourite place for the huitres would be Aigues Mortes in the square, after that Sete, Gruissan or Collouire.
We will go shortly on Le P'tit Train Jaune while the snow is still on the mountains.
Great ! So you will be boarding from Villefranche de Conflent (so close to my birthtown) to Latour de Carol, crossing 650 engineering structures...
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #276
Guru

Exactement.
We usually get off at Bourg Madam and walk over the bridge into Spain.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:39 AM   #277
Guru

As you all know we're moored in Narbonne after our European adventure which you can now see on Amazon Kindle or Kobo.
In this part of the world at this time the local people have fete's to herald the start of spring and have fun before the tourist season starts.
Most small towns have a fete which usually lasts a week with various events culminating in a grand parade. Each town has mascot which could be a horse, bull, cockerel etc. some are quite heavy and can take six or eight young men to carry them and make them 'dance' to the music of the bands. Confetti is showered on everyone by the people in the parade as they pass by.
Large towns like Narbonne choose a theme, this years theme was 'The Middle Ages' and events were run all week along that theme, both for fun but also to help educate the young in history and a lot of effort is put in by the town itself and various voluntary bodies.
Unfortunately due to possibility terrorist activity there was a heavy police presence and roads were closed off to stop any ethnic person spoiling the fun.
Here are just a few photo's for you to enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4147.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	62175   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4150.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	62176   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4158.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	62177   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4170.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	62178   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4169.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	62179  

Name:	DSCN4176.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	62180   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4188.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	62181   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4203.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	62182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4227.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	62183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4261.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	62184  

Old 04-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #278
Guru

When you've had an adventure cruising from Dunkirk through 'Windmills and Wine' and arriving at your destination been occupied modifying the boat, you tend to get a bit of cabin fever.
I hope I'm not annoying or offending the moderators with this following post.

Having just changed the car we decided to give it a bit of test run.
Between France and Spain is a range of mountains known as the Pyrenees, there are a few minor roads which cross it the middle which are blocked by snow for 6 months of the year, basically there are 2 main routes, one to the North of the Pyrenees and one to the South. See the photo.
In the middle of this mountain range is a tiny landlocked country called Andorra.
It's mountainous, has hot thermal springs and snow for 5/6 months of the year. It's jointly administered by both Spain and France (rotating every 6 months).
Before France and Spain joined the EU it was a very well known 'offshore' banking capital, it still enjoys especially low tax rates on goods/fuel etc and many French and Spanish visitors go there for ski-ing in the winter months and to buy cheap tobacco and spirits.
I know it sounds strange but there's lots of water up there in the mountains, this is used to provide hydro electricity for everyone and the warm thermal spring were used for many years by the locals.
In the main town of Caldea they've now built an ultra modern complex with Swimming pools, Roman baths, Steam rooms, Sauna's, Beauty/Massage service etc.
We used a site called Groupon to grab ourselves a deal with 2 nights in a hotel and 4 hours at the complex including a massage for 180 Euro's for us both.
We also found there a totally unexpected, magnificent Scale Model Train shop, I've never seen such a volume of working models and scales, it's not my thing, but if anyone's into working model railways they can be found at info@basarvalira.com , bear in mind there are no trains in Andorra which made it more of a shock. photo's.
Beside the tourist office is a statue of a girl making lace. photo.
Copper stills are used to make perfumes, these of course can be put to other uses and we saw 96% proof alcohol on sale !
Air dried ham is a speciality of this region and this shop is also a bar where you can get air dried ham based tapas with your beer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MAP OF THE PYRENEES.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	64013   Click image for larger version

Name:	PYRENEES.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	64014   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4282.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	64015   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4290.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	64016   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4293.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	64017  

Name:	DSCN4287.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	64018   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4295.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	64019   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4303.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	64020   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4296.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	64021  
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2017, 01:25 PM   #279
Guru

Following on from the previous post here are a few more photos.
An old photo mounted outside the tourist office.
An old Andorran house, scarcity of land here means its at a premium, this house will be renovated.
More modern apartments in Caldea, the capital town in Andorra.
Very early model of 'Stephenson's Rocket' train.
You have to be careful what you say when speaking in English because most people can speak it and overhear you and some words have different meanings and you could be misunderstood.
This old lorry is an ex British army 4x4 Bedford RL which after serving the British army well went on to have a second life and was used for years with a snow plough, it also has winches for getting stuck vehicles out of the snow. Note the yellow turret on top of the cab, this was where the passenger stood up and operated a Bren gun (machine gun) on a rotating turret. She's now retired, still running sweetly and can be pressed into service in an emergency.
I've never seen a snowmobile pull into a service because most people can speak it here station to fill up before. photo.
Self explanatory photo means you can taste any of the wines and Liquors on sale here, we counted 40 different varieties on sale direct from a wooden barrel, you could buy it in a plastic bottle up to 5 litres volume. Plus countless bottles on display.
The highest bar/restaurant in the whole of the Pyrenees is Fra Miguel here in Andorra, it was first opened in 1940 and serves thirsty skiers in the winter and car drivers/hill walkers in the summer, on the opposite side of the road is a ski lift and the filling station where the photo of the snowmobile was taken.
As a point of interest a normal bag of crisps swell up like a balloon at this altitude.

Apologies if I was off post but I thought it may be of interested to you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4289.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	64022   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4285.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	64023   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4294.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	64024   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4299.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	64025   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4309.jpg
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	64026  

Name:	DSCN4314.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	64027   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4312.jpg
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	64028   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4317.jpg
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	64029   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4316.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	64030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4324.jpg
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	64031  

Old 04-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #280
Guru

City: Brisbane River
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Thanks IR, I enjoyed the posts. I must get there one day....