Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 AM   #21
FF
Guru

In Canada internet is part of the "hydro" (electric) delivery.

Since its "free" many folks just leave it on 100% of the time , mostly with no password required.

Many shops and rest. now offer free wi fi in the towns on the water.

A booster will help , but so does getting just a bit closer.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The majority of wifi systems sold for boats are a combination of the Ubiquiti bullet and an omnidirectional antenna. The less powerful systems such as the Alfa are the exception.

Key elements to consider for a Ubiquiti based system are the power adapter and whether you want a LAN based system or a router.

Several suppliers can furnish a 12v adapter for either type system. The Ubiquiti bullet generally comes with a 110v adapter. Antennas generally come in 8db, 12 deb, or. 15db. I prefer the 15 db.

Your computer will been a LAN jack for set up even if you are installing a wireless router.

The hardware is cheap. The bullet and the Pico 12v router both sell for under $100 each you will pay for a package which includes a12v adapter, instructions and some software.

[/Q

Old 05-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #23
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
In Canada internet is part of the "hydro" (electric) delivery.

Since its "free" many folks just leave it on 100% of the time , mostly with no password required.

Many shops and rest. now offer free wi fi in the towns on the water.

A booster will help , but so does getting just a bit closer.
Where did you ever get the notion that WIFI in Canada is free?
In fact outdoor hotspots are a rarity just starting to appear.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanddreamer View Post
All Comcast business class services broadcast an Xfinity ID that can be logged into with your account and PW if you find them. Their thought is to make WiFi more broadly available. In my case I eliminated the ability for my modem to broadcast that network setting, therefore it cannot be logged into by anyone that is not me or that has my SSID.

I turned it off because anyone could do any illicit act, trade, illegal image - anything - without my knowledge and the IP address would resolve to my home. The law would come knocking at my door because it appeared to come from my house. This can be shut off. Here is an older article about the problem:

To Xfinity WiFi we're all hotspots, but you don't have to be | PCWorld
Wow again. It's definitely a good way to get public wifi out there, I can't deny that. But I'd want a much better answer to the security question than the one they give in that article. NAT is a very important part of isolating your home network from the rest of the internet. If the Xfinity wifi is its own LAN and has separate NAT from your side of the service, and anything on the xfinity wifi LAN has to go out on the WAN and back through your NAT to reach your LAN, then it should be fine - or at least just as secure as access from anyone else on the WAN. But if the Xfinity wifi users end up on your LAN then you have a huge security hole. But most likely Comcast hasn't left such a huge hole, though you would think they would address it directly in their response in the article.....so makes me wonder.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #25

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
The news on this seems to fade after 2015, but here is a class action detail regarding this subject from 2015. I have learned that this can be stopped by purchasing your own cable router and returning the old one to Comcast.

In my own personal case, my speed picked up after I eliminated the extra WiFi spot - and also noticed that I began to pick up a network from my neighbor afterwards. Could it be that they were surfing at my expense - slowing my home office down? Who knows. Here's the article:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...s-arbitration/
Old 06-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #26
FF
Guru

"Where did you ever get the notion that WIFI in Canada is free?"

At least a decade ago we did the Loop and free wi fi was pouring out of lots of the summer cottages , on islands and on land.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #27

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I use hardware/firmware from Alpha Networks....Alfa R36 with latest firmware installed compatible with; AWUS036NH, AWUS036NHR | R36

Marinized (sp?) systems/enclosures also available. I use mine below, but considering a better antennae.

In my experience, most marinas are a few generations behind on WiFi equipment/firmware/repeaters and so on. The results I find are weak signals/low data rates.

The cell hookup is getting better and is a good way to go if your data plan can cover your marine field office needs.

More trivia: want to know what your wifi performance is? Try this: Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Happy hookups!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #28
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Where did you ever get the notion that WIFI in Canada is free?"

At least a decade ago we did the Loop and free wi fi was pouring out of lots of the summer cottages , on islands and on land.
That's not free, you poached someone's house wifi that wasn't password protected. As was/is the case when you live in the middle of nowhere.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #29
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
""Where did you ever get the notion that WIFI in Canada is free?"

At least a decade ago we did the Loop and free wi fi was pouring out of lots of the summer cottages , on islands and on land."

Those days are drawing to a close as most folks limit outsiders on their wifi to those with the password.

We pay Shaw for our internet service, and in our subscription we get access at thousands of Shaw "hotspots". In places like Fulford Harbour, where there is little to no cellphone service, a Shaw wifi hotspot pops up and we can get internet, so we are not totally cut off.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:14 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
For areas that have Comcast Xfinity.and you are a customer.....Hotspots are poping up faster than I can keep track of.

Not a total solution...but between NJ and Florida....many places have Xfinity Hotspots near major marinas, free docks and urban anchorages.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I use a Wirie AP (Wifi only), but they do make a unit that utilizes LTE as well. All the bells and whisltes in one easy to install unit. No networking or other gymnastics..

Marine WiFi and RV WiFi 3G/4G/LTE solutions – The Wirie
So just to be clear, the Wirie AP will pick up and boost the signal, and I an then connect iPads, Computers, and anything else that has a Wifi? That's what the website appears to imply anyway.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have not been all that interested in a wifi booster until recently. This last weekend I was at a couple different marinas that had wifi available, but the signal was so weak that it was all but unusable. So a signal booster might help.

OTOH, I think a lot of the problem with some of the small marinas is simply that they have terrible bandwidth. Since all boaters seem to be running at least a couple of devices that are using an Internet connection, the bandwidth may simply get overloaded. In that situation, a better connection won't help.

I use my phone as a hotspot, but that won't work for me in Canada (without it costing way too much) and in some areas of south Puget Sound even a cell signal is hard to come by.

All that to say, that a booster might be great as long as it wasn't too expensive, or too much of a hassle to setup.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #33

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
It's about service expectations and competition. When traveling, I can get WiFi in every floor, and all over the grounds of every hotel I visit. Travelers demanded it, and hotels responded. Unfortunately, that isn't the case at many marinas. Here in SoCal, I am 30' and 200' from the two closest wifi towers on the dock, and it is pretty much non-functional from either. Between the low power, and ridiculously low bandwidth, I've given up for now. The old lady at the marina office was a little aloof when I complained, informing me "it is just for checking emails occasionally, not streaming videos or anything like that"! Seriously?!

There's not an empty marina in SoCal, so voting with your dollars doesn't work.

For now I use my job provided cellular Hotspot (unlimited plan, so no cost to employer). Next year after I retire, I'll have to get serious about this Beacon wifi BS!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
So just to be clear, the Wirie AP will pick up and boost the signal, and I an then connect iPads, Computers, and anything else that has a Wifi? That's what the website appears to imply anyway.
I take the feed from the Wirie (Rogue Wave WIFI in my case, but they're similar) and feed it via ethernet cable into a WIFI router for use on the boat. It's easy to find a router with 12V power supplied by a wall wart. Ditch the wall wart and wire it directly to 12V power. My Cradlepoint router works fine.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #35
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I take the feed from the Wirie (Rogue Wave WIFI in my case, but they're similar) and feed it via ethernet cable into a WIFI router for use on the boat.
With that setup, are you able to access your Wirie from inside your network? I couldn't but found the solution was to reconfigure my WIFI router as an access point. That leaves the Wirie (in my case Bullet M2, but same thing) to act as router and firewall. Anytime I need to check on the bullet, determine its signal strength, bandwidth, etc., I have it book marked and can get to it from my laptop (wirelessly).
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
With that setup, are you able to access your Wirie from inside your network? I couldn't but found the solution was to reconfigure my WIFI router as an access point. That leaves the Wirie (in my case Bullet M2, but same thing) to act as router and firewall. Anytime I need to check on the bullet, determine its signal strength, bandwidth, etc., I have it book marked and can get to it from my laptop (wirelessly).
Rick, you are light years ahead of me. I plug it in and if it works with minimal prompting, I'm happy.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #37

I've used a Ubiquity Bullet for the last two years with good results. Also, you don't need Xfinity/Comcast home service in order to use Xfinity Wifi, they will sell you access by the hour/day/week/month. You can even get two one hour free passes per month.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-BULLE.../dp/B002SYS22E
https://wifi.xfinity.com/

captobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, wi-fi