Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Where do you go in your boat?

With all the recent talk about coastal cruising vs passage making, I'm curious to hear how members actually spend their time on their boats. Where do you go? How long are you out for a trip?

Where did you go last year, and where do you plan to go this year?

I'll start off. I'd consider us Coastal Cruisers without any doubt. We are based in the Boston area so boating is seasonal. We do plenty of day trips, mostly out to go whale watching, but occasionally around Cape Ann or into Boston. For multi-day trips we have gone to Block Island a number of times plus up the coast to Maine. Last summer we rounded the Downeast Loop which is a cirumnavigation of the Northeast US and the Candian Maritimes. It as about 2800 miles and 10 weeks. Lots of fun. This summer we plan to head back up to Nova Scotia, then possibly out to Georgian Bay in Lake Huron. Then to the Bahamas for the winter.

twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Sounds like a great plan.
Once I bring our boat north (now in Florida) in early May, we'll do some local trips (NYC area) in May and June. Once my wife is free in July, we'll head up towards Maine and hopefully as far north as Nova Scotia, for the rest of the summer.

Richard B.

Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #3

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
We departed in September, 2012, for a year long cruise around the Great Loop.

America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

Currently we are on day 156, and have traveled 3,335 miles averaging 21.4 miles per day. We expect to cross our wake in August, 2013.

You can follow our trip daily posts.

Adventures of Great Laker

This is proving to be a wonderful experience, far different from summer cruising around the Great Lakes. We are not live-aboards, but long term cruisers. We still have the home and come back periodically as required.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Usually we make a 3 month trip down to Ft Myers/ Sanibel Is., once went on to the Keys. Ageing parents and grandkids growing up have made us cut back. Didn't get out at all last year. We are hoping to get to Apalachicola this year if all goes well leaving March 22 to be back mid May.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
We boat out of Charleston, SC so we go either north or south on the ICW We seldom bother going out unless we'll be out for a minimum of a few days. We'll go north to Georgetown or Myrtle Beach or south to Beaufor or Savannah. Last May we went south for the entire month to cruise Florida's St. Johns River.

http://www.widman.biz/indigo/Adventu...IGH_COTTON.pdf

We were planning on cruising the Chesapeake Bay this spring but medical issues have put that on hold. But, there are still lots of places to visit within a few days travel time. It's the "smiles", not the "miles" that count.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
For 9 of the last 10 summers we've spent 2-3 months cruising the coast of BC and/or SE Alaska. Plan to do SE Alaska again this year.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
We boat out of Seward Alaska.

During the spring and summer we go out for a minimum of three nights, anchoring off in a cove in the early evening and fishing by day.

From our local bay, we are out in the Gulf of Alaska so we have a continous swell, and have to watch the weather carefully. We like going east with an approx 30NM crossing to get to Prince William Sound, where the water is flatter and much more comfortable.

Once the weather turns snotty in august, and the salmon start coming back into the bay really thick we generally just go out and troll around, returning to our slip in the evening. That is very relaxing with none of the big water challenges.

Last spring we brought this boat (which was new to us the fall before) from Anacortes Washington some 1500 NM.

This summer I'll be either taking the boat for an excursion to Kodiak Island, or I'll be hunting for a IGFA record Ling Cod in the Gulf of Alaska. My son is planning vacation and it'll be just the two of us, no admrials for this one.

We're leaning towards the Ling Cod, but we'll see as it gets closer.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Mostly in the area shown below, but with occasional cruises further "Downeast" or southwest "up" the coast to the Boothbay region and harbors in between.

Preliminary plans and preparations for a possible 2014 "Little Triangle Loop" trip south to NY, the Hudson River, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Canadian canal system and then back down to Lake Champlain, Champlain Canal, Hudson River and home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PenobscotBay.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	17037  
Old 03-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This is where we've been in our boat. Most will recall.
A Long Way Home II

Now we are in Puget Sound and will be cruising locally. The first trips after we re-launch Willy will be south into the Seattle area. I'll want to go into Lake Washington and do speed/rpm runs along the Evergreen Point floating bridge. I want to spend smoe time anchoring in the south end of the sound cooking, reading and dinghy boating.

We want to get back into boat club stuff w the Albineers of BC and Willard Yahoo Group activities and perhaps others.

That's the past and the future and here's the present ... hauled at Latitude Marine in LaConner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0692 copy.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	17042  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We're on the Columbia River, just a few miles upstream from where the Snake River dumps into it. With our last boat (330 Sundancer) we towed it to Anacortes, WA and spent two weeks playing in the San Juans and over to Victoria.

Currently we hardly ever pass up a chance to get on the boat, even if it's for just a few hours of cruising. We boat all year, starting off each year with a New Year's Day cruise and ending with the Christmas Boat Parade.

The longest trip we've made with this boat in the 2 years we've owned it was to Portland, OR last year, a round trip of about 550 miles. We're thinking of doing that again this summer.

Plans for the future include heading up to the Gulf Islands for 4-5 months but that won't happen while my 97 year old MIL is with us. She's in great health so that trip could be a couple of years away.

Until then, we cruise the Columbia and Snake Rivers. In the summer we spend about 15-20 weekends aboard and last year put 165 hours on the meters.

What a great life.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: -
So far we've used the GB between Bellingham and Desolation Sound. Most of our boating has been in the San Juan Islands in Washington and the Gulf Islands in BC. Planning a two week run to Princess Louisa this fall. We've been there many times in the float plane but ave never taken a boat in. We have good friends who want to go up by boat so we'll make a vacation of it.

Long term goal is to take the GB to SE Alaska for a few months. Again, we've done this trip countless times in the plane but taking the boat up should be a very different experience.

We take our small boat up the north end of Vancouver Island every June for a couple of weeks of salmon and halibut fishing in Blackfish Sound, Knight Inlet, and the surrounding islands.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Now we are in Puget Sound and will be cruising locally. The first trips after we re-launch Willy will be south into the Seattle area. I'll want to go into Lake Washington and do speed/rpm runs along the Evergreen Point floating bridge. I want to spend smoe time anchoring in the south end of the sound cooking, reading and dinghy boating.
I don't know if you've ever cruised the South Sound but if not, you're going to love it! They limit the access by 36' GBs and have been quite successful at it. In past years, 36' GBs with dogs aboard have been problematic.

Be sure and pull into Poulsbo for lunch. They have a ton of great places to eat and they're all within easy walking distance from the boat. You'll think your in Scandinavia.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Marysville, WA
Vessel Name: Nehalennia
Vessel Model: SeaRay 260DA "Sundancer"
We're heading out on the 23rd for a spring Shakedown cruise to Poulsbo, WA.
It's on the west side of Puget sound, about a 2 hour run from Everett, where I'll launch.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...e327587efd70a0
www.vikingbay.co
VikingBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
Guru

Walt and VB,

Can one really find a place to tie for lunch in Poulsbo ?

VB I really liked your little map. I see it's Google. We're just off the top of your map.

GBs are like little kids that won't eat their vegetables.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Marysville, WA
Vessel Name: Nehalennia
Vessel Model: SeaRay 260DA "Sundancer"
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Walt and VB,

Can one really find a place to tie for lunch in Poulsbo ?

VB I really liked your little map. I see it's Google. We're just off the top of your map.

GBs are like little kids that won't eat their vegetables.
Absolutely. If you come all the way into Liberty bay, you'll see the Port of Poulsbo.

It's $5 for 0-4 hours.
Port of Poulsbo, Poulsbo, Washington
www.vikingbay.co
VikingBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #16

City: Marysville, Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
We are leaving May 1st for Northern BC and Alaska. This will our second time, the last was 2009. The trip will take about 5 months. The last time I told myself the next time I did this I would have a fishing/crabbing/shrimping/exploring boat with me. So Tuesday we go pick up a new 19'aluminum boat. Really looking forward to this. The 12 foot shore boat just didn't gt it last time.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Depending on the free time available, & the size of the cruising kitty, we'll take the boat as far & as often as we can, Based on the Chesapeake we have a wealth of cruising locations open to us. We have been as far south as the Keys on the ICW; 4.5 months. Hoping this year to head North for part of the summer.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I'll be spending the next few years between 49°N and 51°N in between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Lots to explore there.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
Guru

Russ,
The big dinghy is probably a good idea. I'm going to try to tow a 16' aluminum OB w our 30' boat this summer. I've towed dinghys before and frequently It's well worth it.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #20
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric--- Dont know about taking a boat to Poulsbo for lunch as we have never done it since we have about as much interest in boating the south Sound as we do in boating a Walmart parking lot (which come to think of it is pretty much the same thing).

But we've taken the Beaver into Poulsbo numerous times over the years for lunch. The floatplane dock is that angled extension on the left side of the marina in the diagram in post 15 above. So we can say that the access from the marina to the main drag in town is quick and easy.

But I must admit that we don't see the appeal of the town at all other than some of the restaurants are very good. Compared to harbor towns in the Gulf Islands, San Juans, and even La Conner, Poulsbo is kind of a yawn in terms of its setting and visual appeal. Particularly if you're used to the unique harbor towns of SE Alaska, as you are.

My own opinion is that I think after where you've been boating these last years you'll find the south Sound pretty boring and visually unappealing. There are some great places to fish down south-- Possession Point, Point No Point, Tacoma Narrows, etc.--- but outside of that we don't see the appeal at all, from the water or the air.

But if you've never been down there I suppose it's worth taking a look. There are some very nice marinas if you're into that sort of thing. Port Ludlow, Port Orchard, Eagle Harbor (Winslow), and Gig Harbor in particular are quite pleasant, or used to be (I've been to these places on a friend's racing sloop I crewed on years ago).

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote