Old 03-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I don't have anywhere near as much time to go long distances or stay out for as long as some of you can and clearly do - and I'm damn jealous...!
However, we do have a have a large, interesting, and fairly sheltered, (but can get pretty rough in the more open parts), bay, just on our doorstep, called Moreton Bay, which is where we do most of our cruising. There are many islands, so huge number of places to go, but I still have a desire to get up the coast a bit more when able, hoping to make it at least to Hervey Bay, and Fraser Island, a place Benn, (Tidahapa), covered quite well on another thread recently.
This Xmas/New year just passed, (in between cyclones and floods), we did travel down and out the Southport Seaway, and right up the outside of the flanking Islands, (the second largest sand islands in the world, after Fraser mentioned above), and back in at the top round Cape Moreton. Not that adventurous, but it was 11 hours solid travel, the longest trip we had done in one leg. You can see a good schematic of the Bay here..... http://www.queensland-australia.com/...n-bay-map.html
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
As a 18' trailerboater, we splashed at over 100 different ramps from Key West to Homer AK, San Diego to Block Island. Also a run from Lauderdale to Bimini. When cruising local waters we'd stay aboard for anywhere from 1 day to a week. We never stayed at marinas.

Now that we moved up to the 28' houseboat, we stay in fresh water. Five local lakes, St Johns River and Lake Powell so far. We (my wife Suzy, my dog Merlin and I) enjoy the boat on the road almost as much as the water, spending nights mostly in Walmart parking lots. A week on the road or a week on the water is not unusual, often with daughter, son in law, grandson and grand dog. We still don't do marinas.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
... and Lake Powell so far. ...
Late February we visited Antelope Canyon on Lake Powell:

As well a walk through upper Antelope Canyon (looking skyward here):

Lots of "wows."
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
Guru

City: Trenton
Canada.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Any where from the Chesapeake to SW Florida including the Bahamas and Florida Keys. Where ever the boat is is where we go as the boat has no permanent home. We will leave the boat at one place for several months, and cruise/explore that area. We are trying to figure out where we want to go next. The boat is in Ft. Pierce, FL at present.We love it.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Since June 2011 in this boat it has been Ft Lauderdale to Maine to Marathon, FL and all points in the Chesapeake. Logged a bit over 8,000 miles. Logged about 12,000 miles in the prior boat. Charleston to the Hudson and everywhere in between many, many times. trips ranged from hours to seven months
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #27
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/50519849

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/50519849

Here is where we go. We're on the left.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin wrote;

"My own opinion is that I think after where you've been boating these last years you'll find the south Sound pretty boring and visually unappealing."

Thank you Marin,
One of the attractions is the great anchorages and shallow water down there. Probably good sandy/mud bottoms and lots of places to go w the skiff. I know Olympia is a good port to go to and there may be others. Lots of calm water and good anchorages to read a book or so. And probably far fewer boats as there is in the islands to our north. But of course when we get bored we'll come back and visit Seattle on our way. I want/need to pay Lake Washington a visit to see how slow/fast our boat goes. It's all going to be fun Marin .. good times on the water.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
I don't know how the south Sound compares to up north in terms of boats on the water. What with the fishing and sailboat races and the fact there are simply a ton of boats berthed down there it's been my observation from the air and while fishing that the south Sound can get really busy and crowded. Not that the northern waters don't, particularly in the summer months in the more popular harbors and marine parks.

You're probably correct about the anchorages and bottoms.

If you've never been down there I guess it's something to do that's different.

We just find it very tame and dull compared to even the San Juans, and of course as you know from experience it just gets better and better the farther north you go. It's noisy from traffic and other shore noises and the constant jets overhead, the bluffs are lined pretty solid with houses, the landscape is flat other than the Cascades and Olympics far in the distance (when you can see them).

Hood Canal is actually quite pretty although the water is almost dead of life from the oxygen depletion and low water turnover.

But if you like marina hopping and exploring the associated towns the south Sound seems to have a lot to offer. Not our cup of tea, though. We like wilder country.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #30

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: MITKOF ISLE
Vessel Model: '76 CHB 34' DC
South Sound

To some, "South Sound" is Everett/Seattle/Tacoma with a lot of boat traffic and shore development. The real "South Sound" is South of the Tacoma Narrows where there is very little boat traffic and shore development is sparse.

South Sound is somewhat like the San Juan Islands without the traffic and shore development. What the South Sound lacks in islands it more than makes up for with quiet inlets to explore. It's a gem.
mitkofisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #31

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: MITKOF ISLE
Vessel Model: '76 CHB 34' DC
In keeping with the thread as to where we go -

We cruise from South Puget Sound to S.E. Alaska. We've had the trawler 4 1/2 years and have made two trips to S.E. Alaska and two extended trips to the Broughton Island B.C. area. We've also taken a number of shorter trips to the San Juans, Gulf Islands, South Sound, and Hood Canal. We'll be spending this summer in S.E. Alaska.
mitkofisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #32
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Since June 2011 in this boat it has been Ft Lauderdale to Maine to Marathon, FL and all points in the Chesapeake. Logged a bit over 8,000 miles. Logged about 12,000 miles in the prior boat. Charleston to the Hudson and everywhere in between many, many times. trips ranged from hours to seven months
. . . not to mention riding out two hurricanes at anchor!
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #33
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitkofisle View Post
South Sound is somewhat like the San Juan Islands without the traffic and shore development. What the South Sound lacks in islands it more than makes up for with quiet inlets to explore. It's a gem.
Very interesting! I've never been south of Tacoma before and always wondered about that part of the Sound.

Eric should have a great trip!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #34
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Here is where we go.
Really HUGE difference from where you are. Right Ben?
Attached Thumbnails
sandcastle.jpg  
Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #35
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Tom, your lack of impulse control is acting up again.

We splash end of month. Follow me if you dare.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #36

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Were are 4times every year , approx 4 month, here:
Los Roques - Venezuela Tuya
My paradise.
also in Bonaire.
Norbert
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #37

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitkofisle View Post
To some, "South Sound" is Everett/Seattle/Tacoma with a lot of boat traffic and shore development. The real "South Sound" is South of the Tacoma Narrows where there is very little boat traffic and shore development is sparse.

Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone! One of my favorite things to see on a Friday afternoon is the parade of boats heading north as we are the only one going south!

Eagle island is one of our favorite all-time destinations. Here's my mom in '09 on our previous boat:
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #38
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Upper Chesapeake - mostly waterfront bars and restaurants. Occasionally quiet coves for picnic lunches. Once I break free of the shackles to my desk I'll be able to venture further afield.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #39
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Cheesecake? I love cheesecake!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #40
Guru

City: Here
From out Base near Toronto we have gone as far north and west as Duluth MN. About every third year we head south through the Erie to The Bahamas or Gulf of Mexico (those trips are about 9months). We usually take a month every August for cruising the Great Lakes. Last August we spent the entire month in the Amazing NY State Canal system entering at Oswego and exiting in Lake Erie. We also do several deliveries a year where we get to play with the big boy's boats.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote