Old 07-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #101

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
That sounds about right. We live close to Memphis and while it's not the best place to keep a boat, I'd rather have it close by and use it all the time rather than have it in the perfect location but only see it on occasion.

We live on a farm about an hour to the East, so it's like having a downtown condo with a view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	42640  

clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #102
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Stoneport to Saginaw with 24,000 tons of dirt.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #103
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
That sounds about right. We live close to Memphis and while it's not the best place to keep a boat, I'd rather have it close by and use it all the time rather than have it in the perfect location but only see it on occasion.

We live on a farm about an hour to the East, so it's like having a downtown condo with a view.
If you're an hour to the east of Memphis, wouldn't that put you about an hour or a little more from the Tennessee River, from Pickwick?

And I do agree the close is better than a far, but better, location.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If you're an hour to the east of Memphis, wouldn't that put you about an hour or a little more from the Tennessee River, from Pickwick?

And I do agree the close is better than a far, but better, location.
Pickwick is about 2 hours from our house in the opposite direction. Everything we do (work, school, soccer games, etc) is in Memphis, so we can spend the night on the boat, go to a game, and then go right back to the boat. We had the boat for years at Paris Landing and Pebble Isle marina, which are in beautiful areas, but it's just tough to get up there with our schedule.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #105
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
Pickwick is about 2 hours from our house in the opposite direction. Everything we do (work, school, soccer games, etc) is in Memphis, so we can spend the night on the boat, go to a game, and then go right back to the boat. We had the boat for years at Paris Landing and Pebble Isle marina, which are in beautiful areas, but it's just tough to get up there with our schedule.
I agree. I've never been more than 15 minutes from my boat. From Memphis do you typically do your boating up the river or do you occasionally go south?
Old 07-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #106

We don't go far. Depending on the water level, which swings wildly, we may go across the river to a sandy beach area where the boys collect drift wood (where the pic above was taken) or we may just go to a cove at the back of the harbor and drop anchor. It's like you're not in Memphis anymore back in the cove...except when the inevitable police car goes screaming by
Old 08-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #107
Guru

My next immediate trip is to the bathroom, then the barber shop and grocery store. But more importantly, Wayfarer and I are making an overnight trip to Sackets Harbor, NY this weekend. 96 miles and 8 locks each way. The weather forecast looks damn near perfect. Lake Ontario even looks like it'll be smooth. I'm excited
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	43692  
Old 08-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #108
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Enjoy, and be safe.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #109
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
My next immediate trip is to the bathroom, then the barber shop and grocery store. But more importantly, Wayfarer and I are making an overnight trip to Sackets Harbor, NY this weekend. 96 miles and 8 locks each way. The weather forecast looks damn near perfect. Lake Ontario even looks like it'll be smooth. I'm excited
Sounds like a great trip.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #110
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Heading out for a couple of weeks Sept 7. Destinations are open but will include Princess Louisa Inlet.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #111
Guru

City: kemah
While not immediate (a couple of months yet) my next trip will be trying to coax this old boat from texas to florida via the gulf icww.

If you see me dont stop to render aid, you'll probably get stuck towing me to FL.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #112
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
What's your next, immediate voyage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

Watch out for those surly barge captains and lockmasters! 😄
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #113
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
Labor Day - Aransas Bay with the kids to find new places to explore with the kayaks. We have lots of skinny water.
KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #114
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
While not immediate (a couple of months yet) my next trip will be trying to coax this old boat from texas to florida via the gulf icww.

If you see me dont stop to render aid, you'll probably get stuck towing me to FL.

Nothing but barges and ships in most of LA and Texas. Don't break down.

Get some tow insurance. I got towed in around Intracoastal City. Took them 4 hours to get there and had to pay $942, but Towboat US sent me a check for reimbursement.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:15 PM   #115
Guru

City: kemah
Yup I wouldnt leave home without tow insurance. Sea tow hauled us in from 25.1 miles out. The towboat was kind enough to overlook the .1 miles because it took them so long to get there.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #116
Veteran Member

City: Houston
long haul

I will be bringing home my new to me 40 from Little River sc to Houston tx. I am so pumped to get going but will wait till the storm goes by. We will be inside and outside so I have pre planned the voyage. Hope the fuel prices stay down and the storms go back to Africa.
reissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #117
TF Site Team

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by reissue View Post
I will be bringing home my new to me 40 from Little River sc to Houston tx. I am so pumped to get going but will wait till the storm goes by. We will be inside and outside so I have pre planned the voyage. Hope the fuel prices stay down and the storms go back to Africa.
The fuel prices might stay down (although I would not put a whole lot of money on it), but the storms will not go back to Africa.

Nothing really all that bad about moving your boat, though. There is always plenty of warning as to where the storm will go, and plenty of time to get prepared if you have to ride it out.

I kind of assume that you will come down the ICW, cut in at Stuart, FL and through the Okeechobee Waterway, and then up to around Clearwater, cut across the Gulf to Carrabelle or Apalachicola, and then into the Gulf ICW. Is that the plan?
Old 08-30-2015, 06:58 PM   #118

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: St Christopher
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 50ft tri-cabin
Next trip will be Sint Maarten DWI to the BVI's in mid Oct after launching the boat after hurricane season. Will cruise the Virgins for a couple of months.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:38 PM   #119
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Enjoy, and be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Sounds like a great trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Watch out for those surly barge captains and lockmasters! 😄
Just got back a few hours ago. We had a great time. Lake Ontario was about as flat as I could have wished for on the first leg. The weather while we were there was perfect. There was some really great food, many beers, lovely views and long walks through a charming old town. We enjoyed it so much, my travelling partner took an extra vacation day to stretch the trip a little longer. The trip home was a little lumpy, lots of spray. I got wet. Otherwise, the boat ran like a swiss... uh... cheese, and the trip was smooth as silk. I only had to beat up one lock master, and encountered no barge captains, surly or otherwise. Great trip.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #120

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
Sept 16, weather permitting, Sidney BC to San Francisco. Have enjoyed the PNW this summer and now bringing the boat back to her home port. Plan one stop in Coos Bay for fuel.