What's your next, immediate voyage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oriental, Beaufort, Cape Lookout next week...>

Really looking forward to Cape Lookout...supposedly one of the nicest anchorages on the East Coast!

As long as the weather holds, Cape Lookout will not disappoint. Truly one of the great anchorages.

Leaving here midweek for Desolation and a noodle to points north/west of there. Back the second week of September to put the grandson back in school.

Well, this was a long trip, not. Just on the way home from a two day trip to West Palm. Still we had a wonderful time.

I am so looking forward to getting out of here on Tuesday and joining my wife & friends as they explore the coast of Turkey. This is this general area.

Attachments

• Map4.jpg
    Map4.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 77
AusCan, when do you get out of there for good?

Keep safe and thanks for your service to the rest of us.

I work a 28 days on/28 off rotation. I usually fly home to Australia, but do the occasional diversion like this trip. Retirement in a couple years, depending on how much I spend on boats.

This weekend, Devil's Isle in the San Joaquin River delta.

I'll be venturing home to Oneida Lake from Sackets harbor in the morning. Ontario is supposed to behave tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

Friday begins a 5 (maybe 4) day cruise from Nashville, TN to Memphis, TN. We'll do stints on the Cumberland, Tennessee, Ohio, and Mississippi Rivers. This will be my 10 year old son's first long cruise and I told him to bring The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to read on the trip:)

Friday begins a 5 (maybe 4) day cruise from Nashville, TN to Memphis, TN. We'll do stints on the Cumberland, Tennessee, Ohio, and Mississippi Rivers. This will be my 10 year old son's first long cruise and I told him to bring The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to read on the trip:)

My estimates are 150-160 nm to the Ohio, 40-50 then to the Mississippi and 220 down to Memphis, so about 420 nm. Is that about right? Sounds like a nice trip.

That's another area we can't wait to explore. Any special reason to Memphis?

We're exploring Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Cape Cod, Boston, Buzzard's Bay for the next couple of weeks.

That sounds about right. We live close to Memphis and while it's not the best place to keep a boat, I'd rather have it close by and use it all the time rather than have it in the perfect location but only see it on occasion.

We live on a farm about an hour to the East, so it's like having a downtown condo with a view.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 70
Stoneport to Saginaw with 24,000 tons of dirt.

That sounds about right. We live close to Memphis and while it's not the best place to keep a boat, I'd rather have it close by and use it all the time rather than have it in the perfect location but only see it on occasion.

We live on a farm about an hour to the East, so it's like having a downtown condo with a view.

If you're an hour to the east of Memphis, wouldn't that put you about an hour or a little more from the Tennessee River, from Pickwick?

And I do agree the close is better than a far, but better, location.

If you're an hour to the east of Memphis, wouldn't that put you about an hour or a little more from the Tennessee River, from Pickwick?

And I do agree the close is better than a far, but better, location.

Pickwick is about 2 hours from our house in the opposite direction. Everything we do (work, school, soccer games, etc) is in Memphis, so we can spend the night on the boat, go to a game, and then go right back to the boat. We had the boat for years at Paris Landing and Pebble Isle marina, which are in beautiful areas, but it's just tough to get up there with our schedule.

Pickwick is about 2 hours from our house in the opposite direction. Everything we do (work, school, soccer games, etc) is in Memphis, so we can spend the night on the boat, go to a game, and then go right back to the boat. We had the boat for years at Paris Landing and Pebble Isle marina, which are in beautiful areas, but it's just tough to get up there with our schedule.

I agree. I've never been more than 15 minutes from my boat. From Memphis do you typically do your boating up the river or do you occasionally go south?

We don't go far. Depending on the water level, which swings wildly, we may go across the river to a sandy beach area where the boys collect drift wood (where the pic above was taken) or we may just go to a cove at the back of the harbor and drop anchor. It's like you're not in Memphis anymore back in the cove...except when the inevitable police car goes screaming by :facepalm:

My next immediate trip is to the bathroom, then the barber shop and grocery store. But more importantly, Wayfarer and I are making an overnight trip to Sackets Harbor, NY this weekend. 96 miles and 8 locks each way. The weather forecast looks damn near perfect. Lake Ontario even looks like it'll be smooth. I'm excited :)

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 65
My next immediate trip is to the bathroom, then the barber shop and grocery store. But more importantly, Wayfarer and I are making an overnight trip to Sackets Harbor, NY this weekend. 96 miles and 8 locks each way. The weather forecast looks damn near perfect. Lake Ontario even looks like it'll be smooth. I'm excited :)

Sounds like a great trip.

Heading out for a couple of weeks Sept 7. Destinations are open but will include Princess Louisa Inlet.

While not immediate (a couple of months yet) my next trip will be trying to coax this old boat from texas to florida via the gulf icww.

If you see me dont stop to render aid, you'll probably get stuck towing me to FL. :)

Watch out for those surly barge captains and lockmasters! ?

Labor Day - Aransas Bay with the kids to find new places to explore with the kayaks. We have lots of skinny water.

While not immediate (a couple of months yet) my next trip will be trying to coax this old boat from texas to florida via the gulf icww.

If you see me dont stop to render aid, you'll probably get stuck towing me to FL. :)

Nothing but barges and ships in most of LA and Texas. Don't break down.

Get some tow insurance. I got towed in around Intracoastal City. Took them 4 hours to get there and had to pay $942, but Towboat US sent me a check for reimbursement.

Yup I wouldnt leave home without tow insurance. Sea tow hauled us in from 25.1 miles out. The towboat was kind enough to overlook the .1 miles because it took them so long to get there.

long haul

I will be bringing home my new to me 40 from Little River sc to Houston tx. I am so pumped to get going but will wait till the storm goes by. We will be inside and outside so I have pre planned the voyage. Hope the fuel prices stay down and the storms go back to Africa.

I will be bringing home my new to me 40 from Little River sc to Houston tx. I am so pumped to get going but will wait till the storm goes by. We will be inside and outside so I have pre planned the voyage. Hope the fuel prices stay down and the storms go back to Africa.

The fuel prices might stay down (although I would not put a whole lot of money on it), but the storms will not go back to Africa.

Nothing really all that bad about moving your boat, though. There is always plenty of warning as to where the storm will go, and plenty of time to get prepared if you have to ride it out.

I kind of assume that you will come down the ICW, cut in at Stuart, FL and through the Okeechobee Waterway, and then up to around Clearwater, cut across the Gulf to Carrabelle or Apalachicola, and then into the Gulf ICW. Is that the plan?

Next trip will be Sint Maarten DWI to the BVI's in mid Oct after launching the boat after hurricane season. Will cruise the Virgins for a couple of months.

Enjoy, and be safe.

Sounds like a great trip.

Watch out for those surly barge captains and lockmasters! ?

Just got back a few hours ago. We had a great time. Lake Ontario was about as flat as I could have wished for on the first leg. The weather while we were there was perfect. There was some really great food, many beers, lovely views and long walks through a charming old town. We enjoyed it so much, my travelling partner took an extra vacation day to stretch the trip a little longer. The trip home was a little lumpy, lots of spray. I got wet. Otherwise, the boat ran like a swiss... uh... cheese, and the trip was smooth as silk. I only had to beat up one lock master, and encountered no barge captains, surly or otherwise. Great trip.

Sept 16, weather permitting, Sidney BC to San Francisco. Have enjoyed the PNW this summer and now bringing the boat back to her home port. Plan one stop in Coos Bay for fuel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom