Old 10-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #161
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Having taken a 25 ft Bayliner on its own bottom from Sausalito to Eureka and knowing a couple who made the WA to CA trip, and on to Guatemala in a 32-ish Bayliner, all it really takes is patience, preparation and common sense, all of which the OP has shown an abundance of. Oh, and some money if you're under power.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #162
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yes Craig, I have noticed a distinct silence in this thread amongst the crowd that typically advocates than you need a boat with 1500 miles of range and 3/4" thick windows to cruise along a coastline

Funny how fact trumps fiction Eh...
Ha I have a friend with a go-fast Sea Ray (Dancing with Angels) that had a 250 mile range, so he had to dive in to the different marinas for fuel. He harbor hopped from SF all the way up to Seattle.......

Silence is golden....

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #163
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
The thing is that people come here with their dreams. They dream of a cruising lifestyle, but if they listen to the popular fables most will quickly give up that dream thinking they can't ever afford it.

So they move on to another dream.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #164

This is a great thread. Let us please keep it that way. I can understand defending your choice of boat when someone is bad-mouthing it, but that didn't happen here on this thread, so let's not let this thread drift into a debate about boat choice.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #165
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My gut says my boat is stronger than I.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #166
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
This is a great thread. Let us please keep it that way. I can understand defending your choice of boat when someone is bad-mouthing it, but that didn't happen here on this thread, so let's not let this thread drift into a debate about boat choice.
Mahal

This thread is about a nice guy and I think his wife making their way down the pacific coast.

I aplaud them for their adventure.

There is no debate about boat choice, since they are actually making the voyage.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #167
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Ha I have a friend with a go-fast Sea Ray (Dancing with Angels) that had a 250 mile range, so he had to dive in to the different marinas for fuel. He harbor hopped from SF all the way up to Seattle.......

Silence is golden....
Yikes! And here I am with a boat with a range of 1000 to 1500 miles and have yet to travel more than 60 miles away from home berth! Half tankage lasts me 9 months. Not that I'm complaining.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #168

Quote:
Mahal

This thread is about a nice guy and I think his wife making their way down the pacific coast.

I aplaud them for their adventure.

There is no debate about boat choice, since they are actually making the voyage.
I know what the thread is about. I am following it with great interest. And I believe the OP has the proper boat for their purpose, a 36' trawler displacing 22 tons. I just sensed a possible thread drift from your latest posts.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #169

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Dancing Angels
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 400DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

Silence is golden....

I would be that friend. It's true, we made the trip from SF to Seattle two years ago. Now we are planning a trip north next year.

While not a "blue water" boat by any means. Proper preparation and the right weather most things can be accomplished. As far as I can tell my boat is the smallest Sea Ray to have made this trek.
SR400DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #170

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Quote:
So...

Please tell us about your plans!

Where is your southern destination this winter? Or are you just exploring?

Are you going to head back north next spring?

I hope you know that you are breaking some old time Trawler Forum myths. Here you are Safely making a passage down the fabled Pacific Coast in a 36' regular folks boat. Not a huge battle wagon of a boat, just a normal couple, on a normal boat, cruising the coast.
We'll see how far we can go, budget permitting, but the first target is the Sea of Cortez. We'd be very satisfied with ourselves if we can spend a winter in Mexico and beat back up the coast in the summer. That being said, we have loftier goals, but I'd hate to ruin the surprise.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #171
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
We'll see how far we can go, budget permitting, but the first target is the Sea of Cortez. We'd be very satisfied with ourselves if we can spend a winter in Mexico and beat back up the coast in the summer. That being said, we have loftier goals, but I'd hate to ruin the surprise.
That sounds fantastic!!!

La Paz here you come!

I am following your journey while sitting at work and dreaming. 4 years and change, and I hope to follow in your footsteps.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #172
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Yes Craig, I have noticed a distinct silence in this thread amongst the crowd that typically advocates than you need a boat with 1500 miles of range and 3/4" thick windows to cruise along a coastline

Funny how fact trumps fiction Eh...
Since less than 1% of the US population can afford the vessels you are throwing rocks at Kevin, the 99% just has to make do, quite nicely as the OP is reporting on. No sense in castigating the 1%ers who one way or another keep our sport going. Sure hate to see TF become an envy baiting site.

My curiosity is how the engine isssues finally play out. Tank size only becomes debatable when heading south of the border IMHO. The specs and preparation advises for the upcoming FUBAR rally are intersting for those contemplating longer voyages..

As an aside, have some friends who just did Ketchikan to Dana Point non stop.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #173

Quote:
That sounds fantastic!!!

La Paz here you come!

I am following your journey while sitting at work and dreaming. 4 years and change, and I hope to follow in your footsteps.
Thanks again for following, and occasionally motivating me to keep everyone updated.

You don't quite want to follow in my footsteps, as we'll have to go back to work when all of this is said and done! This is more of a "time-out" than a retirement.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #174
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
We just missed you guys in Victoria! Curious what will happen when you get to your final stop. Will you leave Your boat in a marina and fly home or cruise her back up the coast?

Bob & Jill
Old 10-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
We just missed you guys in Victoria! Curious what will happen when you get to your final stop. Will you leave Your boat in a marina and fly home or cruise her back up the coast?

Bob & Jill
Right now the plan is to cruise back up to Victoria once we've had our fill, however I know there are lots of people that have had similar intentions and ended up selling their boat, so we'll see!
Old 10-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #176
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR400DB View Post
I would be that friend. It's true, we made the trip from SF to Seattle two years ago. Now we are planning a trip north next year.

While not a "blue water" boat by any means. Proper preparation and the right weather most things can be accomplished. As far as I can tell my boat is the smallest Sea Ray to have made this trek.
Welcome my friend! Following Mark and Eden on their great adventure and it reminded me of ours! We will begin our adventure next year too.

Go Mark and Eden, can't wait to see what is in store for them past SF!!!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #177
TF Site Team

OK, so where are you now?

Did you leave the Bay area, or still visiting??
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #178

Quote:
OK, so where are you now?

Did you leave the Bay area, or still visiting??
So after a week in Alameda we are once again underway. We departed with our friends in S/V Tenacity and arrived in Half Moon Bay at 1730.

On the way out of Alameda, just before the Bay Bridge, we ran into S/V Buenaventura I who was with us in Newport and Coos Bay. They were going to be in the Bay area for a while, so we said our goodbyes and carried on.

I decided to take the main shipping channel on the way out while Tenacity took the South Channel which may or may not exist, depending on who you talk to. Ironically, we saw much rougher water in the main channel, as we went head on into 4-5 foot breakers. It was the tail end of the ebb and 15-20 knots out of the NW so that's going to happen in those conditions! Anyway, Halcyon I took it like a champ. We're covered in salt but I'm sure we'll find a place to wash off.

As soon as we exited the channel and turned south, the ride became significantly more pleasant. We eventually caught Tenacity at the first green buoy before Half Moon Bay and they followed close behind as we entered the first breakwater.

Knowing some other friends from Newport would be anchored there, the three of us rafted up and we had a great BBQ and reunion.

Looks like it'll remain windy over the next few days, and deteriorate further on Sunday. Tomorrow we're going to run another 50 miles and anchor in Santa Cruz. The next day or the day after we'll head to Monterey to find some shelter from all this wind!

Very little oil burn during today's six hour run, and dripped maybe 10 drops of oil into the engine pan.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #179
TF Site Team

That is Fantastic!!!

Please do tell about Santa Cruz when you get there.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #180
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
If the wind is up, Santa Cruz will not be a pleasant anchorage. More like your Shelter Cove experience, exposed to whatever swell is on the Bay. But the NOAA forecast looks good. I went to college in Santa Cruz and still spend a lot of time there with family and friends.

Marine Forecast | Weather Underground

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote