Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #81
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/Portland
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 632
Vic-
Sounds like the boat is doing better, sorry to hear of the Canvas blow out. I just got home from spending a month redoing all my canvas up in Portland. If I was still there I could have loaded up the Sailrite and headed your way to help you out.
Hang in there bud, your doing great!
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
John & Tracey
Pairadice S4714
Mvpairadice.blogspot.com
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
VicTrawler's Avatar
 
City: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 138
Appreciate the words of encouragement!

I'm currently planning the next leg. I also have Crescent City as a goal (46 hr run) with off-ramps available at Garibaldi, Cape Lookout (anchorage), Newport, and Winchester Bay. I'll probably throw in another between Winchester and Crescent City.

Friday looks like the opening of at least 48 hrs of good weather. Just need the Columbia River bar to go green.
__________________

VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #83
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
Appreciate the words of encouragement!

I'm currently planning the next leg. I also have Crescent City as a goal (46 hr run) with off-ramps available at Garibaldi, Cape Lookout (anchorage), Newport, and Winchester Bay. I'll probably throw in another between Winchester and Crescent City.

Friday looks like the opening of at least 48 hrs of good weather. Just need the Columbia River bar to go green.
So you've decided not to just harbor hop along the way?

Don't like Oregon much, eh
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #84
Wannabe
 
Britannia's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Capes Blonco and Mendocino will be the challenge. Cape Mendocino can be dicey at times, but once you are past it you are good down to SF. Watch the buoys for information.
The waves can build around Point Reyes (just north of SF). On my trip down Mendocino and Blanco were tame - but following seas built to 15'+ around Point Reyes. We were anchoring for the night in Drakes Bay so we were close in to shore. Staying a bit further out will reduce the risk.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #85
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
Appreciate the words of encouragement!

I'm currently planning the next leg. I also have Crescent City as a goal (46 hr run) with off-ramps available at Garibaldi, Cape Lookout (anchorage), Newport, and Winchester Bay. I'll probably throw in another between Winchester and Crescent City.

Friday looks like the opening of at least 48 hrs of good weather. Just need the Columbia River bar to go green.
You know, there is no need to get in a hurry.

There is a harbor at Gerabaldi, probably 40 or 50 miles from Astoria.

Then another 50 or 60 miles south of that is Newport

You can do this trip and actually see Oregon by doing day trips.

Oregon is a nice place. I've been to pretty much every town along the coast by car and would love the opportunity to explore the towns further while parked safely in the many harbors along the way.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 AM   #86
Veteran Member
 
nmuir's Avatar
 
City: West Vancouver
Country: Canada
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 99
For the San Fran Bar this is some material we found very educational. Before we did our research we didn't realize how we needed to be mindful of it.

The San Francisco Bar | CoastsideFishingClub.com

(And we did get beaten up pretty well in Bonita Channel - the route we selected - but that is another story!)
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
VicTrawler's Avatar
 
City: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
You know, there is no need to get in a hurry.

There is a harbor at Gerabaldi, probably 40 or 50 miles from Astoria.

Then another 50 or 60 miles south of that is Newport

You can do this trip and actually see Oregon by doing day trips.

Oregon is a nice place. I've been to pretty much every town along the coast by car and would love the opportunity to explore the towns further while parked safely in the many harbors along the way.
I guess what's going through my mind is that we've had a week of unseasonable weather and I'm worried that if we don't book it south we'll lose our window of opportunity. I complete realize, however, that I'm being irrational.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #88
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
I guess what's going through my mind is that we've had a week of unseasonable weather and I'm worried that if we don't book it south we'll lose our window of opportunity. I complete realize, however, that I'm being irrational.
Yes

You had a storm or two roll through.

September is actually pretty dry and nice in Oregon.

Astoria always sucks. I've been in Astoria several times and it always was crappy there.

Lots of neat places along the way. I used to fish Tillimook Bay when I lived in Oregon, and loved Geribaldi, and the town of Tilimook. You might stop there and tour the cheese factory.

Haven't spent enough time in Newport but Coos Bay is a woonderful little town. Lots of Antique stores to Browse. My son spent two years at USCG Station Coos Bay on one of the motor lifeboats there.

All you have to think about is the next port. 50-60 miles, or 8 hours travel max. If you time your bar departures for slack tide, and time the next bar crossing for slack tide or cloose you'll be good to go. The distances between harbors work out almost perfect to catch slack tides or close.

That might mean leaving before dawn some times, so be it. Thats allot better than arriving after dark.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
VicTrawler's Avatar
 
City: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 138
After nine days we finally left Astoria at 0520 this morning. There was a mad rush of boats all heading for the bar at the same time. The sun rose and we celebrated when the "no restrictions" announcement came across VHF 22a. Had a southerly wind on us for most of the trip to Garibaldi so it took 10 hours to get there but it was an otherwise great day. Crossed into Tilamook Bay on the flood without issue.

Tomorrow morning we depart for Newport at 0600.

Still have oil dripping all over the place. Going to keep topping up and going for now. I guess it only shows itself when the transmission is engaged or if the boat is rolling and pitching because it never dripped when we ran it at the jetty with the transmission in neutral...
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:43 PM   #90
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,426
Well, I hope you are having a nice dinner in Gearbaldi, and hope you have a nice safe trip tomorrow
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
VicTrawler's Avatar
 
City: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Well, I hope you are having a nice dinner in Gearbaldi, and hope you have a nice safe trip tomorrow
We did! Ate at the Ghost Hole Pub. Good burger!
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #92
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,426
You were stuck for several days in Astoria, now you have good weather for a few days.

It looks like you are getting a hang of the bar crossing thing. If you leave at 0600 thats just before high slack

Looks to me like 60 miles bar to bar.

Are you going to try to get after it and make low slack at noon or thereabouts, or are you planning on putzing along and make high slack at 6:00 pm or a little before as the bar mellows out?
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
VicTrawler's Avatar
 
City: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
You were stuck for several days in Astoria, now you have good weather for a few days.

It looks like you are getting a hang of the bar crossing thing. If you leave at 0600 thats just before high slack

Looks to me like 60 miles bar to bar.

Are you going to try to get after it and make low slack at noon or thereabouts, or are you planning on putzing along and make high slack at 6:00 pm or a little before as the bar mellows out?
Unfortunately I don't have the speed to make slack to slack. Will do what I did today and assess if it's safe to cross on the flood, which it was today at Tilamook. If not, I'll loop around and wait. With first light around 0620 and bar reports every three hours, I'll get a report just before I arrive, around 1500, which adds reassurance.

In other news, just came up from the engine room. Lost another quart+++ today. The drip from the bottom of the flywheel housing lines up perfectly with the access port for the flywheel timing marks, and the fuel lift pump. I found a decent amount of fresh oil on the flywheel port and around the fuel pump. Out of curiosity I checked the bolts on the fuel lift pump and they were very loose. They're now as tight as I can make them and I stuffed a soak up pad around the pump to see if that's indeed the source. Fingers crossed it is but I'm not holding my breath. It always seems to come back to the damn fuel lift pump!!
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
VicTrawler's Avatar
 
City: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 138
In Newport now. Wasn't the fuel lift pump as there wasn't a single drop of oil on the pad I wrapped around it.

Spoke with a diesel mechanic in Newport and he suggested that maybe the valve cover breather was blocked, causing a buildup of crankcase pressure and blow-by of the rear seal. I took the breather apart last night and didn't see any blockage. I'll run the engine up this morning with the breather disconnected from the air filter to make sure there's air flow.

Anyway, I don't want to leave Newport until the smoking gun is found. Unfortunately it's Labor Day weekend so won't get a mechanic until at least Tuesday.

Yesterday we entered Newport on the flood and the bar was a non-event. It was actually near maximum flood current at the time.

Only $25/night here including power! Least expensive moorage so far.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #95
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
In Newport now. Wasn't the fuel lift pump as there wasn't a single drop of oil on the pad I wrapped around it.

Spoke with a diesel mechanic in Newport and he suggested that maybe the valve cover breather was blocked, causing a buildup of crankcase pressure and blow-by of the rear seal. I took the breather apart last night and didn't see any blockage. I'll run the engine up this morning with the breather disconnected from the air filter to make sure there's air flow.

Anyway, I don't want to leave Newport until the smoking gun is found. Unfortunately it's Labor Day weekend so won't get a mechanic until at least Tuesday.

Yesterday we entered Newport on the flood and the bar was a non-event. It was actually near maximum flood current at the time.

Only $25/night here including power! Least expensive moorage so far.
What a fun voyage! It's early September, which can be some fantastic weather in Oregon.

Hope you enjoy the the town while you are there. Cheap moorage, a little coastal town, late summer weather... It doesn't get much nicer in my book.

If you continue your journey just like you are doing, you will see the sights and never have to experience the fabled rough waters of the Pacific Coast.

Thats the way to travel by boat. Leave the rough water driving to others. Kick back and enjoy the journey.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #96
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9,120
Between Port Angeles and San Francisco we stopped at 10 different places. Neah Bay, Westport, Astoria (and on to Portland), Garibaldi, Suislaw, Coos Bay, Brookings, Eureka/Humboldt, Noyo, Bodega Bay. We figured we might never make it back that way or at best would be years, maybe decades. That was the entire point to us of bringing a boat home on it's on bottom to see all we could along the way.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #97
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,462
Hope you find your oil leak.....
__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
VicTrawler's Avatar
 
City: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Hope you find your oil leak.....
Fingers crossed we'll find the leak today.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:36 AM   #99
TF Site Team
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,426
Well, how did it go?

Are you still in Newport?

Actually if you are in Newport, or anywhere in the area, you're stuck in port for a few days.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 AM   #100
Senior Member
 
VicTrawler's Avatar
 
City: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Well, how did it go?

Are you still in Newport?

Actually if you are in Newport, or anywhere in the area, you're stuck in port for a few days.
Still in Newport. Had to call five different shops before I could get someone to come down to the boat. He says he can do the job but needs the approval of his boss. Hoping to hear tomorrow morning. We're proceeding under the assumption of rear main seal. Huge job.

We're stuck here until Tuesday for weather reasons anyway. There are 6 or 7 transients bound for Mexico that are here with us so at least we're making lots of friends.

If the engine isn't in pieces by the time the winds calm, I may just add some leak stopper to the oil and hope for the best.

Anyway, spirits are high and we're taking advantage of the time to get some chores done on the boat. It's all part of the adventure!! Unfortunately this repair will probably cost me a few grand.
__________________

VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012