Old 08-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #21

Have you re-marked your dipstick? If not, it is possible that you might be overfilling and burning the excess oil.

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
According to Mr. Smith: "12 quarts of 30 weight, no more, no less" then mark the dipstick at that level.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:29 AM   #23

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Have you re-marked your dipstick? If not, it is possible that you might be overfilling and burning the excess oil.
The excess is ending up in the oil pan under the engine, so it's not being burnt. That being said, when I did the last oil change I definitely put in more than 12 quarts to hit the mark on the dipstick. However, the mark I'm talking about is a new mark so I figured the adjustment had already been made. Maybe the last person got it wrong??? Next oil change I will put in 12 quarts and see where I end up.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
First off, you do not have a schedule, that is good. You can happily sit in port and wait for nice weather days.

If you do this right, and are patient, you will never see rough weather. Just hop from port to port. You do not need to do any long overnight offshore passages.

If you look closely at the trips noted in this thread they were all delivery trips, made by people on a schedule. When you have a schedule to meet you will get yourself into rougher weather than necessary.

You do not need anything special for this trip. No need for HF, or anything other than VHF radio for weather communications. Thats because you do not need to go out of VHF range to make this journey.

Just remember the key concept that this is not a long journey with a destination in mind. It is a series of day trips between harbors. Plan your trips to hit a harbor at a slack tide, or close. If you have to leave a harbor at 3:00 AM do it. It's allot funner to leave a harbor in the dark than pull into a strange harbor in the dark.

People fear the Oregon coast unnecessarily. Thats because they are almost always on a schedule. They go out in rough weather, they get into trouble.

My son spent two years with the USCG as a crew member on one of the motor lifeboats at station Coos Bay Oregon. When I asked him about the Oregon coast his words to me are exactly what I am repeating to you. Do not have a schedule and you'll not see rough water. He said that every SAR case he went out on involved someone going out in conditions that they should have known better.

His advice was to hop harbor to harbor. Day trips. When I take our boat back south (It spent its first 11 years at Newport Oregon) Thats how I'll be doing it.
Thank you very much for your reply; it's exactly what I needed to hear. One of the reasons I started this thread was to get a little reassurance that what I was doing wasn't dangerous or irresponsible (with the appropriate preparations). I now have that reassurance!
Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I'll pile on and give a strong second or third or whatever to ksanders' excellent post. Thats cruising! Have a super trip!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #26
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Weather looks ok until about Wednesday. Juan de Fuca will be feisty on ebb 13th and 14th. What is your safe range?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Weather looks ok until about Wednesday. Juan de Fuca will be feisty on ebb 13th and 14th. What is your safe range?
We're on our way to Port Angeles today and will be there until the 19th.

What do you mean by "safe range?" Max sea conditions?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #28

Hey everyone, here's a quick tour of the boat before we set out on the trip south!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
We're on our way to Port Angeles today and will be there until the 19th.

What do you mean by "safe range?" Max sea conditions?
How far can you travel with 1/3 still in tanks. BTW the ideal west coast travel window is slowly closing.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
How far can you travel with 1/3 still in tanks. BTW the ideal west coast travel window is slowly closing.
I have 400 gallons of diesel and consume approx 2.6 gallons per hr at 7 knots, so I can go about 700nm on 2/3 of my fuel capacity.

Yes, I was hoping we'd take off about a week earlier but it just wasn't doable. Looks like the weather is closing in next week as well. Anyway, we're not on a schedule. If we have to sit around, we sit around and make the most of it!
Old 08-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #31

Quote:
The excess is ending up in the oil pan under the engine, so it's not being burnt. That being said, when I did the last oil change I definitely put in more than 12 quarts to hit the mark on the dipstick. However, the mark I'm talking about is a new mark so I figured the adjustment had already been made. Maybe the last person got it wrong??? Next oil change I will put in 12 quarts and see where I end up.
Add 11 quarts then mark the dipstick, that'll be the low line. Add another quart, mark the dipstick and that will be your full line. This of course is assuming that you've drained all the old oil out. I did this and my oil use was reduced by about 75%.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Add 11 quarts then mark the dipstick, that'll be the low line. Add another quart, mark the dipstick and that will be your full line. This of course is assuming that you've drained all the old oil out. I did this and my oil use was reduced by about 75%.
I've got a good hand pump that sucks right from the bottom so it's not difficult to empty the sump. I will follow your advice at the next oil change. I have a feeling the dip stick is not marked correctly.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #33
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Just a hint for a shortcut for you. When you leave Neah Bay and are going to head around the point you'll see Tatoosh Island. Before we took that boat from Seattle to CA we got a briefing from a retired USCG ship skipper. He said that rather than go out around the island he used to take his 190' Cutter between the island and shore. There is a passage there that was plenty wide enough or him to go through there with no problem.

We did that and it saves several miles.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:

Yes, I was hoping we'd take off about a week earlier but it just wasn't doable. Looks like the weather is closing in next week as well. Anyway, we're not on a schedule. If we have to sit around, we sit around and make the most of it!
That attitude right there is what will make the difference between a fun trip and a trip that is uncomfortable.

You go to a nice little town. You explore the town. When you get a nice weather day, you go to the next little town. You explore that town, and the cycle continues.

No schedules, nothing better to do. Yes you will spend some days sitting around. You might even spend a week or so sitting around. During that time you'll be exploring all the place you are at has to offer.

That to me is the way to cruise. To me long overnight passages should be left to crossing oceans. Coastal Cruising is all about exploring towns along the coast.

Your fuel range is not relevant because you are not going to need it. 100 mile hops or less. There are just a few places where tou need to go over 100 miles between ports. Very few.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #35
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
That attitude right there is what will make the difference between a fun trip and a trip that is uncomfortable.

You go to a nice little town. You explore the town. When you get a nice weather day, you go to the next little town. You explore that town, and the cycle continues.

No schedules, nothing better to do. Yes you will spend some days sitting around. You might even spend a week or so sitting around. During that time you'll be exploring all the place you are at has to offer.

That to me is the way to cruise. To me long overnight passages should be left to crossing oceans. Coastal Cruising is all about exploring towns along the coast.

Your fuel range is not relevant because you are not going to need it. 100 mile hops or less. There are just a few places where tou need to go over 100 miles between ports. Very few.
Unless your stuck in Neah Bay....the armpit of the Pac Northwest!

Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #36

We are now in Port Angeles. I took this picture about two hours into the trip. You can see where oil has been dripping onto the soak-up pad in the pan under the engine. The drip is perfectly in line with the fuel pump and I didn't see anything leaking above it, so it's gotta be the fuel pump. The replacement is in the mail and I'll have it in 48 hours.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #37

By the way:

The Facebook page (you don't need a Facebook account to read it): https://www.facebook.com/mvhalcyoni

The YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9G...NtJaKbJvQ62-Xw

And you can follow our progress via our Spot Tracker, which updates every five minutes while we're underway:

SPOT Shared Page
Old 08-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Just a hint for a shortcut for you. When you leave Neah Bay and are going to head around the point you'll see Tatoosh Island. Before we took that boat from Seattle to CA we got a briefing from a retired USCG ship skipper. He said that rather than go out around the island he used to take his 190' Cutter between the island and shore. There is a passage there that was plenty wide enough or him to go through there with no problem.

We did that and it saves several miles.
The passage seems fairly clear on the charts, and I'm only drawing 4.5 feet. I guess I'll go for it!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #39
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
The passage seems fairly clear on the charts, and I'm only drawing 4.5 feet. I guess I'll go for it!
Please do me a favor and mark it and post it here as I am interested in taking the same next summer.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Please do me a favor and mark it and post it here as I am interested in taking the same next summer.
Looks like this is the safe bet: