Old 11-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #281
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Many thousands of skippers have crossed Dixon Entrance and thought or said "hey that was easy".

Kevin,
If the weather woman (or man) is wrong and the seas are 20' and building and breaking the type of boat under your feet may be suddenly very important. A mater of life and death perhaps.
Eric, of course in 20' seas things are different.

Only an idiot would go out in 20' seas in any boat designed for coastsal cruising. Thats the cool thing about coastal cruising. You get to stay in port in bad weather and enjoy all the port has to offer.

I won't even go into the "this boat is more seaworthy than that boat" argument except to say that in bad conditions you should stay in port, in any boat.

People talk about being caught in bad conditions, but what they are talking about is uncomfortable conditions, not life threatening conditions. With that in mind I think it is safe to say that you can coastal cruise safely in any boat, if you are smart enough to stay in port during life threatening conditions. The wether forecasts are not that wrong, and an experienced prudent captain will poke his head out and evaluate the situation himself. Dixon entrance is an easy one, Tongass narrows on the north and Prince Rupert on the south. Both offer ample opportunity to turn around if conditions are other than expected.

Please remember that I have made the passage from Washington to Alaska twice, in my own boats, including crossing all the fabled rough water areas along the way including the big kahuna of North America, the Gulf of Alaska over 200NM of open ocean with nowhere to hide.

Both trips were in Bayliners, one a 3488 Bayliner in 2003 an d one a 4788 Bayliner in 2012

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #282
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Well Vic, now that the naysayers have been dealt with, I'm still curious as to oil leak. As best I understand it just went away or ??

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #283

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Well Vic, now that the naysayers have been dealt with, I'm still curious as to oil leak. As best I understand it just went away or ??
I wouldn't say it went away, but I haven't emptied the container I'm using to catch the oil, since... Morro Bay, and it's only half full. Most of that oil came from the trip around Conception which was quite rough. I have fresh oil leaking from under the fuel lift pump which was always suspect. I'm thinking that, in rougher seas, the sloshing of the oil allows more of it to leak past the fuel lift pump and down the side of the flywheel housing.

I have a new pump which I'll be installing this week. I will continue to monitor...

I'm definitely burning more oil in rough seas. There's actually an entry in the maintenance log from over 10 years ago that said "ran hard in 6-9 foot seas, added 1/2 quart of oil." So maybe that's normal for this engine.
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #284
TF Site Team

So, how do you like your new watermaker? I thought you bought one Rich at Cruise RO, if memory serves correctly.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 11-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
So, how do you like your new watermaker? I thought you bought one Rich at Cruise RO, if memory serves correctly.
It's 99% installed. I fired up the DC boost pump and it worked great but there's something wrong with my wiring on the AC HP pump. Once I get that sorted it should be operational.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #286
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
It's 99% installed. I fired up the DC boost pump and it worked great but there's something wrong with my wiring on the AC HP pump. Once I get that sorted it should be operational.
On the AC pump there is a T1 and a P1 lead

They are wasy to get ass backwards. Yery small writing.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 11-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #287
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Good grief.

Kevin was their biggest, prettiest cheerleader from to git go.
Welllll.........

Not sure about the prettiest......he is from Alaska and all Alaskans know they are butt ugly!!!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #288
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Welllll.........

Not sure about the prettiest......he is from Alaska and all Alaskans know they are butt ugly!!!
haliBUT ugly that is!
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 11-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #289

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Emily B
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
Quote:
So here we are in San Diego. We accelerated the plan a little in order to get in before last night's blow.
We'll probably stay in San Diego for a couple weeks to get our final preps sorted out for the border crossing into Mexico.
Hey Mark, congrats to you and Eden! Glad we could help out and get together with you guys in Alameda and then round the point together, that was #classic.

Hopefully next time we pass like ships in the night WE will be downhill passing you guys on the Up

CB and Emily
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Hey Mark, congrats to you and Eden! Glad we could help out and get together with you guys in Alameda and then round the point together, that was #classic.

Hopefully next time we pass like ships in the night WE will be downhill passing you guys on the Up

CB and Emily
Thanks, friends! It's a big ocean, so to have someone you know on the other end of the VHF in the middle of the night during a sketchy passage was awesome!
Old 11-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #291
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebee View Post
hey mark, congrats to you and eden! Glad we could help out and get together with you guys in alameda and then round the point together, that was #classic.

Hopefully next time we pass like ships in the night we will be downhill passing you guys on the up

cb and emily
Quote:
Originally Posted by victrawler View Post
thanks, friends! It's a big ocean, so to have someone you know on the other end of the vhf in the middle of the night during a sketchy passage was awesome!
TF Rules !!!!!!!!!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:38 AM   #292
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I've been reeding your post since the beginning. I have a single FL 120 in my 1981Marine Trader 41.
I really admired your cautious determined manner in plotting your way down the coast and dealing with your oil leak. I'm thinking of printing out this whole post and reading it to the wife. One day, although I'm 62, I hope to follow your steps and sail to the Sea of Cortez. Congratulations on a job well done!!!
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #293
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamdouglass View Post
I've been reeding your post since the beginning. I have a single FL 120 in my 1981Marine Trader 41.
I really admired your cautious determined manner in plotting your way down the coast and dealing with your oil leak. I'm thinking of printing out this whole post and reading it to the wife. One day, although I'm 62, I hope to follow your steps and sail to the Sea of Cortez. Congratulations on a job well done!!!
Don't wait! Get going soon. That is what I most admire about Mark and Eden as they are living the dream while they can!!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamdouglass View Post
Thank you! Your boat is more than capable, and I hope you can embark on your journey soon. Thanks for following along.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #295
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Hey all,
Just got back from Cabo San Jose last pm, I was fortunate to meet up with Vic Trawler in San Diego.. He is a very nice fellow who is living the dream most aspire to do .. and doing it on a reasonable boat.

We made the jump in two legs to Cabo S.J. with a nice quiet overnight in Bahia Santa Maria.. made the trip in 4.5 days. Fantastic weather and fishing.

in Cabo S.J I met a N46 owner that did Victoria to San Diego non stop.. as a new to the boat owner no less! talk about jumping in with both feet.

F.Y.I.. the N46 had a average fuel burn that calculated out to 2 gph @ 7kts for a total burn of 210 gal for a 3.5 k.m.p.g average.. including about 40 hours of genset time..

Happy Turkey Day,
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:39 PM   #296

Attempted to leave San Diego this morning at 0400. Rain aside, the forecasted conditions were quite benign. When we cleared Pt. Loma it turned out not to be the case at all and we immediately turned back towards San Diego. Forecasted swell was 1-3ft at 9s and wind waves two feet or less with 10kts variable wind. Instead I'd say we saw 4-5ft swell, very short period, with 2-3ft wind waves and 20+ kts of wind. We even had a hard time steering back towards the channel due to the beam seas.

I suspect that yesterday's conditions hadn't quite settled as quickly as expected. I think things will be a lot calmer tomorrow when we make our second attempt for Ensenada. For now we're safely back at Sun Harbor Marina eating popcorn and watching movies in bed.

This was our first "abort" of the entire trip. I'll have to see if I can pull weather data from additional sources from now on - maybe buoy data or something else.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #297
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Does the USCG provide real time reports of the sea state and wx conditions?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #298
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
This was our first "abort" of the entire trip. I'll have to see if I can pull weather data from additional sources from now on - maybe buoy data or something else.
It's interesting to watch your journey and the learning experiences which we all can benefit from. Changing plans, even during the middle of a day's trip is part of it and you retreated well. The second thing you point out is multiple sources of weather data, both forecast and current actual. We look at all the varying forecast tracks on hurricanes and see the disagreement between the most knowledgeable there are. We joke about the inaccuracy of weather forecasts where we live. Well, you see this conflict in marine forecasts. We've found sometimes the resources you'd least expect are more accurate than those you trust. In some areas you'll find local reports too, often early morning. Also, when in doubt, calling the destination can supplement the information.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Does the USCG provide real time reports of the sea state and wx conditions?
Unless there's something I'm not aware of, there's no realtime weather available except from buoys/weather stations which can be found online.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It's interesting to watch your journey and the learning experiences which we all can benefit from. Changing plans, even during the middle of a day's trip is part of it and you retreated well. The second thing you point out is multiple sources of weather data, both forecast and current actual. We look at all the varying forecast tracks on hurricanes and see the disagreement between the most knowledgeable there are. We joke about the inaccuracy of weather forecasts where we live. Well, you see this conflict in marine forecasts. We've found sometimes the resources you'd least expect are more accurate than those you trust. In some areas you'll find local reports too, often early morning. Also, when in doubt, calling the destination can supplement the information.
Our new buddy boat, S/V MonArk from Vancouver (met them in Morro Bay) (The Happy Monarch - Our log of life on a sailboat) left four hours before us and we intended to R/V with them in Ensenada around 1600. I just heard from them and they encountered two squalls on the way down, both 30+ kts. I suspect we got hit by one as we passed Pt. Loma, which explains the sea conditions and the driving rain at the time.

There's no rain in the forecast tomorrow so at least the chance of a squall is diminished. Calling the destination is a good idea. I just checked the forecast for Ensenada and it's sunny, light wind, and no chance of rain; same as San Diego.