Old 10-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #221
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders;
I have a customer replacing a generator end in Santa Barbara harbor, and he told me that a 50' slip there goes for in the $160K range
Exactly double that in Vancouver.
$320k US.
Yaletown Boat Slip for sale: Quayside Marina, Free hold Slip 50 x 25

When I said goose bumps, I was thinking of the entrance.

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #222

City: southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

I don't have the option of doing it by boat right now but I'll be driving the California Coast Monterey to Santa Barbara in a short two weeks.

I have a customer replacing a generator end in Santa Barbara harbor, and he told me that a 50' slip there goes for in the $160K range
If you find one for $160K grab it. We looked at a GB42 in a 50' slip in Marina 1 and the guy wanted $250K for the slip. And he'll get it. There's a guy dangling a 40' upwind who doesn't really need to sell and wants $150K for it. The last 40' sold last week for $112K, and it was considered a bargain.

It's a mad mad mad world down here. I just signed the final paperwork (and cut the check) for our first trawler, which may just be in a SB guest slip for a couple of weeks starting Sunday (if we can close on Friday.)

questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #223
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

As I understand it, Santa Barbara is a municipal marina and the slips are not privately owned. The permit for the slip can be transferred with the sale of a boat however. So is this $160K price tag on top of the FMV for a vessel occupying the slip?

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #224
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark View Post
If you find one for $160K grab it. We looked at a GB42 in a 50' slip in Marina 1 and the guy wanted $250K for the slip. And he'll get it. There's a guy dangling a 40' upwind who doesn't really need to sell and wants $150K for it. The last 40' sold last week for $112K, and it was considered a bargain.

It's a mad mad mad world down here. I just signed the final paperwork (and cut the check) for our first trawler, which may just be in a SB guest slip for a couple of weeks starting Sunday (if we can close on Friday.)
If you are serious about the slip I can get the person selling it to call you.

I don't want to bug him for general inquieries though as he is my customer, not someone I know all that well. PM works.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #225
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
As I understand it, Santa Barbara is a municipal marina and the slips are not privately owned. The permit for the slip can be transferred with the sale of a boat however. So is this $160K price tag on top of the FMV for a vessel occupying the slip?

Richard
Acording to him you are buying the rights to rent the slip from the city. The same thing applies even if you "own" a slip. There is generally a fairly large "condo association" fee that includes maint, and money for eventual float replacement.

I have no need for a slip in SB even though it would be nice since my mom lives there, I have a need for the $$ more than the slip.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #226
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Morro Bay's a sweetheart in normal weather like any number of other inlets. It became infamous by some videos shot of the CG doing some foul weather practice out there. Doesn't look too good the end of the week. Next couple of days not so bad.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/645.html

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #227
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Hawgwash could be recalling George C Scott leaving MB against locals advice. Yes there is an 80' motoryacht in there.
Attached Images

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #228
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Hawgwash could be recalling George C Scott leaving MB against locals advice. Yes there is an 80' motoryacht in there.
Yeah, that's what I think of when I hear "Morro Bay."
I have a large framed picture of Mojo hanging in my living room and a letter from Scott J Redd, the photographer, explaining the circumstances.
He had heard the scuttlebutt and knew what was coming so set up his camera and waited. Just to the left of the buoy is a USCG cutter tagging along.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #229
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Just to the left of the buoy is a small boat (a Calkins Bartender, maybe) doing just fine

QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:44 PM   #230
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
The slip sale dance in Santa Barbara is pretty unique , it is correct that you can buy the rights to pay the lease to the city for the slip. When we sold our 35' slip there in 92 we got just under 15k for ours, the entire exchange is done through a attorney and the funds held in escrow. The city picks up a "fee" to change legal lease rights to the tune of about $ 400.00 per lineal foot of boat, including all overhanging stuff!. They have a cash cow and they know it.. that is why they allow transfers. When I spent a few days there in May on a trip up the coast there were a couple 35' slips available in the
$ 75,000-80,000 range.
The reason it is so pricey is it is the best place to keep a boat in all of
so cal.. period.
I like Washington but if I could have a slip and house there for what I have invested here i would be gone in a flash.. except for the drought thing.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #231
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Slip sell in SB is thread drift guys.......

Hope Mark and Eden have a safe journey......
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #232

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
Looks like I have some catching up to do here. We're now in Morro Bay. The entrance was a non-event. 2-4 foot swell. River-like.

Santa Cruz was still the most challenging entrance for us... even worse than the Columbia River, but much shorter!
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 PM   #233
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Must be a lack of competition among multiple marina providers (as if there were many) in Santa Barbara with its mostly very-rich residents. Thank goodness for the San Francisco estuary (bays and delta) with its many private and municipal marinas. Berths are relatively cheap compared to home prices.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #234
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
How were your anchorages on the way down from Pebble or did you go straight through?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #235

Quote:
Is that Stillwater Cove where you're anchored? I hope you had an ok night. For future reference it's not recommended if there is a southerly swell running (there's a SW component right now.)

That having been said - it's one of my favorite spots (check the name of my boat.)

Richard
Yup, it was rolly as heck. So was the next one (San Simeon). It was either that or cruise in the darkness, and I'd rather be in an unpleasant anchorage than pull an overnighter, though they're both not great options. Doesn't look like the SW swell is going to let up anytime soon.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
With all due respect, those type decisions are the ones that get us in trouble. How long you'd intended to be there or had actually been there really doesn't need to be part of your decision as to whether conditions are appropriate for leaving.

Glad you made it safely to your next stop. Don't argue with your decision but do have a problem in making things like I quoted part of that decision.
You're absolutely right. Fortunately things worked out, but at the end of the day there was no need to go out in bad weather.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #237

Quote:
I'm glad to hear he had a safe night - he must have if he's now underway. In that case I can share something that I felt inappropriate while he was still in Stillwater Cove. I know someone whose boat sank there during a southerly swell in October 2009. Admittedly he made a number of mistakes, but it's really not a place to be in those conditions.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...ate=2009-12-02

Richard
Appreciate you waiting until afterwards to post the story! We actually anchored in darkness, though under a full moon and with a great handheld flashlight. Managed to find a decent spot just before the mooring balls and the anchor set on the first try.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
How were your anchorages on the way down from Pebble or did you go straight through?
We anchored at San Simeon as well. Took the advice of a reviewer on Active Captain and tucked into the point as far as possible but it was no use with the SW swell. Pretty miserable night. If we had arrived earlier, with more light, I may have attempted a stern anchor to keep us pointed into the swell.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #239
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
After two lumpy nights a dock at the yacht club must feel great. Really enjoying the voyage......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-10-27 at 7.47.19 PM.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	45952  
Sidney, British Columbia.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
After two lumpy nights a dock at the yacht club must feel great. Really enjoying the voyage......
Feels like we're in a hotel room. Didn't know a boat could be this steady and still afloat.