Old 10-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #201
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Make sure you do the aquarium. really excellent.

Haven't been to Monterey in 10 years or so; our daughter went to prep school there. Can't even remember the names of my favorite restaurants, which shows you how long it's been!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #202
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Best breakfast in Monterey:

First Awakenings

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #203
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Make sure you do the aquarium. really excellent.

Haven't been to Monterey in 10 years or so; our daughter went to prep school there. Can't even remember the names of my favorite restaurants, which shows you how long it's been!
Rules of travel. Never miss an aquarium, a zoo, or a lighthouse. I've never seen a bad one of either, just some not as good as others.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #204

City: louisiana
When in Monterrey I strongly suggest dinner at Ocean's Edge restaurant at the Highlands Inn a few miles south of Carmel on the PCH. The food/service is second to none and the view is incredible at dusk. Worth the taxi fare from Monterrey.
rardoin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #205

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Halcyon I
Vessel Model: 1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
So, we like this place so much that it's going to be our "maintenance stop" instead of San Diego. Cheaper, great marina, good weather, easy access to West Marine and other hardware stores, and the marina office is more than happy to accept packages on my behalf.

I'll finally be installing the SSB, as well as a watermaker, and maybe even some solar panels.

We'll be leaving no later than the 28th of October!
VicTrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #206
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post
So, we like this place so much that it's going to be our "maintenance stop" instead of San Diego. Cheaper, great marina, good weather, easy access to West Marine and other hardware stores, and the marina office is more than happy to accept packages on my behalf.

I'll finally be installing the SSB, as well as a watermaker, and maybe even some solar panels.

There is a great company, Cruise RO at Morro Bay if you are looking for a really good watermaker at a great price!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #207

City: Marina del Rey, CA
Vessel Name: Stout
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
We'll be leaving no later than the 28th of October![/QUOTE]

If you're still headed south when you leave, and plan to stop off in Marina del Rey (Santa Monica Bay) shoot me a PM as I'll likely have excess dock space available for a visit.

It appears that Stout will be sold and gone, but I'll have to give notice to release my end tie.

Happy travels,

Jay Becker
M/V Stout
Stout42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
There is a great company, Cruise RO at Morro Bay if you are looking for a really good watermaker at a great price!
We DID end up going with Cruise RO in the end; chose the 30 GPH unit. I anticipate we'll have the hardware by Thursday for Friday and I'll hopefully get the install done on the weekend.

As for the rest of the jobs, the HF whip is now installed and I'm 80% complete the cable runs. Once I have the GTO-15 in hand (probably Thursday) I'll finish that job.

Decided to go with a single solar panel for now, 140W. It will sit on the elevated deck on the bow, just behind the hatch above the v-berth. Should be enough power for the small chest freezer and the bar fridge. The batteries will still drain but much slower now, and I'll just top them up with the generator while we're making water or using the SSB. Still going to need to plug in to a marina every once in a while to get in a good 100% charge and keep the sulfur off the plates. The controller for the solar panels can definitely handle another panel or two, so there's room for expansion in the future should we go that route.

The other job I've completed is the installation of a new heat exchanger on the engine. Pretty sure the existing one was original and though it probably could've been cleaned up in an acid bath and returned to service, the new one really wasn't that expensive and it's always nice to know you have reliable cooling, especially when operating in warmer water. The transmission and oil coolers were also replaced earlier in the trip.

Looking forward to departing here in a week with the new and improved Halcyon I!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:20 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout42 View Post
If you're still headed south when you leave, and plan to stop off in Marina del Rey (Santa Monica Bay) shoot me a PM as I'll likely have excess dock space available for a visit.

It appears that Stout will be sold and gone, but I'll have to give notice to release my end tie.

Happy travels,

Jay Becker
M/V Stout[/QUOTE]

Very much appreciate that, Jay! We're definitely heading south and I will be in touch if we stop in Marina del Rey. Have yet to plan the stops after Pt. Conception.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #210
Guru

City: Sidney
Where are we with the oil leak?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Where are we with the oil leak?
The latest is that the internal leak (i.e. the drip into the oil pan) has subsided substantially. Since San Francisco it's probably been 50ml or so. Why has it decreased? Not sure. I've got a different type of oil in the engine now (Delo 400 15W40 vs some generic Canadian Tire 15W40 diesel oil), and maybe the Bars Leaks Engine Repair additive has done something to help, too.

I've finally got a new fuel lift pump coming from American Diesel, so if the oil leak is actually from the lift pump (it can be difficult to tell when that's the source), then it should reduce even more, or stop altogether.

I'd say I'm losing more oil out the back end than anything, although the more I stare at the exhaust the more it looks like a white smoke than blue.

Again, will continue to monitor as we make our way to San Diego and I'll figure out if we need to get it looked at or if we can just manage it while we head further south.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:16 AM   #212

The original plan was to hang out in Monterey until Wednesday, but there's some nasty weather due to hit this part of the coast on Thursday, so we decided to leave today (Sunday) in order to get to Morro Bay well in advance of it (11 foot swell with wind on top).

Ironically that meant heading to Pebble Beach during a Small Craft Advisory. Though the wind wasn't too bad, we saw 8-foot short period waves just outside the marina. We slowed down to 4 knots and ended up having to tack our way to the Pebble Beach anchorage to avoid getting hit directly on the beam. Ended up anchoring under a full moon just by the mooring buoys. It's very rolly and I'd definitely have tried a stern anchor if we hadn't arrived after sunset.

So why leave in nasty weather? Leaving on Wednesday would have meant 17 days in Monterey which was already an extension of the two week limit for transients. The SSB and solar panel are already installed and working well, and we already received the watermaker, so we just threw the watermaker boxes in the v-berth for now and headed on out. Figured we could deal with rough seas for a couple hours. Would the marina have forced us out in bad weather on Wednesday? Doubt it, but we also didn't want to find ourselves in Monterey for three weeks plus.

11 hours to San Simeon tomorrow. Still 5-7 foot swell and 1-3 foot wind waves, but we'll be taking it on the stern instead of the beam, so it should be an okay ride. Tuesday will be a quick 4-hour jaunt to Morro Bay.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #213
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Is that Stillwater Cove where you're anchored? I hope you had an ok night. For future reference it's not recommended if there is a southerly swell running (there's a SW component right now.)

That having been said - it's one of my favorite spots (check the name of my boat.)

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #214
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTrawler View Post

So why leave in nasty weather? Leaving on Wednesday would have meant 17 days in Monterey which was already an extension of the two week limit for transients.

Would the marina have forced us out in bad weather on Wednesday? Doubt it, but we also didn't want to find ourselves in Monterey for three weeks plus.
With all due respect, those type decisions are the ones that get us in trouble. How long you'd intended to be there or had actually been there really doesn't need to be part of your decision as to whether conditions are appropriate for leaving.

Glad you made it safely to your next stop. Don't argue with your decision but do have a problem in making things like I quoted part of that decision.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #215
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
With all due respect, those type decisions are the ones that get us in trouble. How long you'd intended to be there or had actually been there really doesn't need to be part of your decision as to whether conditions are appropriate for leaving.

Glad you made it safely to your next stop. Don't argue with your decision but do have a problem in making things like I quoted part of that decision.
I agree. Weather should be the only consideration in your decision to leave port. On a practical side no harbor master is going to ask you to leave during SCA conditions, although they might expect you to get underway at the first opportunity after the seas abate.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #216
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well if any thing you are finding out the capabilities of your boat in rough seas. Kay and I wish you the best. Please be safe.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #217
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I agree. Weather should be the only consideration in your decision to leave port.
The mere mention of Morro Bay gives me goose bumps.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #218
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
He is underway according to his spot, but has a ways to go....

SPOT Shared Page
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #219
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
He is underway according to his spot, but has a ways to go....

SPOT Shared Page
I'm glad to hear he had a safe night - he must have if he's now underway. In that case I can share something that I felt inappropriate while he was still in Stillwater Cove. I know someone whose boat sank there during a southerly swell in October 2009. Admittedly he made a number of mistakes, but it's really not a place to be in those conditions.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...ate=2009-12-02

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #220
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
The mere mention of Morro Bay gives me goose bumps.

I don't have the option of doing it by boat right now but I'll be driving the California Coast Monterey to Santa Barbara in a short two weeks.

I have a customer replacing a generator end in Santa Barbara harbor, and he told me that a 50' slip there goes for in the $160K range

www.mvlisasway.com