Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #1081
Guru
 
David Carter's Avatar
 
City: Tellico lake, Tn
Country: US
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 557
Guess you'll sleep good tonight..
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Don't let anyone steal your happy
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #1082
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Thank you, thank you! They really are like women. I thought I knew her then she changed her mind, argh!

"I'm just a dude dressed as a dude playing another dude"
I've always liked. ' I'm really not alive, I just play that part on TV'.
__________________

__________________
Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #1083
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Guess you'll sleep good tonight..
Headed to Newport, RI tonight. I'm a gluten for punishment as we're soon to be surrounded by perfect gleaming yachts with their twenty coats of varnish and monogrammed fender covers.
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #1084
TF Site Team
 
dwhatty's Avatar
 
City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Headed to Newport, RI tonight. I'm a gluten for punishment as we're soon to be surrounded by perfect gleaming yachts with their twenty coats of varnish and monogrammed fender covers.
Perhaps you need to go on a gluten free diet Daddyo.
__________________
David Hawkins
Deer Isle, Maine
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #1085
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,441
Lol!! Glutton
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #1086
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,441
A little Newport style


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131011_151306.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	23660



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131011_151322.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	23661



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131011_151337.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	23662



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131011_151350.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	23663

A little Southwest Harbor style


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131011_151542.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	23664



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131011_151634.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	23665
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #1087
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,441
Headed out. Next stop Bridgeport, CT to pick up crew in the am. Never have done the sound at night
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #1088
Ben
Guru
 
Ben's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Headed out. Next stop Bridgeport, CT to pick up crew in the am. Never have done the sound at night
Where to today?
__________________
..................................
Ben

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #1089
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Looks like he is headed for his hurricane hidey hole at North Port.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #1090
Ben
Guru
 
Ben's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: US
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Looks like he is headed for his hurricane hidey hole at North Port.
Wow. I just looked - wind forecast pretty ugly until Monday. Makes sense. Chill out for the next 44 hours.
__________________
..................................
Ben

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #1091
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
There's some spots up there calling for 12 ft seas.

Sending positive thoughts your way.
__________________
Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #1092
Senior Member
 
capt jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 321
be carefull at night there are a lot of lobster pots this time of year
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #1093
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,441
Hey guess what, the waves were much worse then predicted. We had 6-10' this morning. The flag was ripped off and the dingy (11' Whaler) which we don't normally tow but did this time because of 2-3' predicted broke both painters and was adrift in said seas. My 17 yr old jumped in once I got as close as possible and boarded her. My youngest had said less than 5 seconds earlier "I'm glad the lines didn't break"!!! The other said "you jinked us" then a second later SNAP! All good fun on the high seas! :-)
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #1094
Guru
 
fryedaze's Avatar
 
City: Solomons Island Md
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,052
I just looked at AIS. You must have modified Grace this summer. AIS shows her rolling up Main street.
__________________
Dave Frye
Fryedaze, MC 42 (Monk 42') 1989 Overseas Co
http://mvfryedaze.blogspot.com/
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #1095
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Sounds like some bad judgement with some young boys.

What's wrong with waiting for your window?

And I don't care if you don't like these comments.

__________________
Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #1096
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar


 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Sounds like some bad judgement with some young boys.

What's wrong with waiting for your window?

And I don't care if you don't like these comments.

This was a window. You must have missed the 2-3' predicted. When your out there or in life #&$@ happens. We were in LI Sound always within an hour or less of shore. Are you saying when your on a 700 mile trip that your going to stay put for 2-3' in a 60,000lb sea boat? If you do then said trip is impossible.

I appreciate the concern I really do but, that young boy of 17 could kick just about any of our butts. Nobody was at risk of anything worse then a bit of excitement and lessons in crisis management. This is cruising not sitting at the dock. The drive back to our house after leaving the boat will be infinitely more dangerous then today was.
__________________
Mark Bowerman
Brokerage owner and cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #1097
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Hey guess what, the waves were much worse then predicted. We had 6-10' this morning. The flag was ripped off and the dingy (11' Whaler) which we don't normally tow but did this time because of 2-3' predicted broke both painters and was adrift in said seas. My 17 yr old jumped in once I got as close as possible and boarded her. My youngest had said less than 5 seconds earlier "I'm glad the lines didn't break"!!! The other said "you jinked us" then a second later SNAP! All good fun on the high seas! :-)
It's times like this that kids remember for life, and build a great relationship between father and son.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #1098
Guru
 
City: somewhere
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post

This was a window. You must have missed the 2-3' predicted. When your out there or in life #&$@ happens. We were in LI Sound always within an hour or less of shore. Are you saying when your on a 700 mile trip that your going to stay put for 2-3' in a 60,000lb sea boat? If you do then said trip is impossible.

I appreciate the concern I really do but, that young boy of 17 could kick just about any of our butts. Nobody was at risk of anything worse then a bit of excitement and lessons in crisis management. This is cruising not sitting at the dock. The drive back to our house after leaving the boat will be infinitely more dangerous then today was.
I must of missed a crap load of info...
__________________
Life is a Beach
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #1099
Guru
 
Ocean Breeze NL's Avatar
 
City: Springdale, NL
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Sounds like some bad judgement with some young boys.

What's wrong with waiting for your window?

And I don't care if you don't like these comments.


If we couldn't run in conditions like this every now and again, boating would be boring and around our waters we would sit and not move. If ya know what you're doing, it is all good.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Trawler
__________________
Elwin
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #1100
Scraping Paint
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
If ya know what you're doing, it is all good.
If you know what you are doing you don't let teenagers jump over the side in 6-10' seas with the idea of boarding a drifting tender.

Many prudent mariners believe their children are worth far more than a little tender.
__________________

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012