Underway Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The storms are fun, most of the time. Forgot to mention I fueled by truck in Lauderdale for $3.60 a gallon tax incl. Always fuel by truck if possible, better price and fresh fuel

When you do that where do you fuel? Does the marinas allow that method?

It depends. Ask the fuel guys and they can usually work out a place they can fuel you. You'll often save over a dollar a gallon. Well worth the effort plus the fresh fuel makes it a no brainer. It's what all the big boys do. In the case of the other day, I had the guy meet me at the boatyard where I quick hauled to check the cutlass bearing. They put me back in the travel slip, pulled away the lift, then he pulled up and fueled me.

Last edited:
It depends. Ask the fuel guys and they can usually work out a place they can fuel you. You'll often save over a dollar a gallon. Well worth the effort plus the fresh fuel makes it a no brainer. It's what all the big boys do. In the case of the other day, I had the guy meet me at the boatyard where I quick hauled to check the cutlass bearing. They put me back in the travel slip, pulled away the lift, then he pulled up and fueled me.

You should put together a list of bulk diesel fuel providers to call on the east cost! ;)

Auto pilot time. You can go pee now.:D

Not much to show today but 13hrs of this. The building is the VAB at Cape Canaveral
Vehicle Assembly Building

ForumRunner_20130413_184932.jpg

ForumRunner_20130413_184949.jpg

Last edited:
It's a wrap! Time for a glass or two of wine, a steak, some Masters recap, Netflix and bed.

ForumRunner_20130413_194253.jpg

Last edited:
I almost forgot to mention I do have an appointment with the Lehman Brothers. 28 hours run since fueling and 50 gallons burned. 1 hour genset time.

ForumRunner_20130413_200413.jpg

Last edited:
Oriental says Good Morning

Attachments

• image-795083504.jpg
    image-795083504.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 105
Good morning to you as well, thank you. St Augustine today then finally to sea tomorrow, fingers crossed :)

ForumRunner_20130414_073558.jpg

ForumRunner_20130414_073616.jpg

Some reported shoaling at the North access to Ponce Inlet on the West side of the channel.

Saw 2 tugs dragging a barge across it last week. Maybe they fixed it?

following track

Love the great pictures. It was quite interesting following your track. There is more than one Grace with AIS so it took me a few minutes to get the right one. I eliminated a few. I just kept looking till the pictures matched. What messed me up was the area it showed you in. I now have you north of Daytona Beach but the area called for shows the Gulf of Mexico. Think that's odd? On my earlier try a couple hours ago I knew enough to look at the east coast of Florida and saw your position in the ICW but when I searched by vessel it showed the area as the North Pacific.
BTW there was another Grace I think Grace A which was a tanker located in the Red Sea but the destination was marked "armed guards on board"
I guess I will skip that one.

Youre passing my area today.

More shoaling in the Matanzas Inlet area. Temp buoys have been placed but still exercise caution.

Thunderstorms in the forecast. Possible of up to 2" of rain overnight.

Last edited:
MMSI# 913030566 that was back on earlier posts.

Great picture, thanks!

My pleasure!
Hey you're the first person I know with AIS. Who makes the transmitter? Do you have to pay a monthly charge or is it automatic on the airwaves?

Saw your track in the ditch near Halifax, so you going on the outside at St Augustine? Going to make a run for Charleston?

Thanks for your picks as well. Coming back to house on Sundays for work and family activities. Quite envious of your travels. Thanks for posting.

AIS positioning isn't very good on a smartphone. It's one big ball of locations...

But a boat transmitter is like a $600 add-on, yes? Not sure I would buy, but I might buy a weather receiver. Just installed my Garmin 740s this weekend. Feeling confident now. Got installation fever. Got to install the transducer now, the software is awesome for the depth. Depth and temperature histories. Love that.

Depth is pretty critical in eastern NC. Very shallow and sandy or muddy. Not rocky thankfully.

But a boat transmitter is like a $600 add-on, yes? Not sure I would buy, but I might buy a weather receiver. Just installed my Garmin 740s this weekend. Feeling confident now. Got installation fever. Got to install the transducer now, the software is awesome for the depth. Depth and temperature histories. Love that.

Depth is pretty critical in eastern NC. Very shallow and sandy or muddy. Not rocky thankfully.

Not sure the cost but I would use it if I ran shipping channels so hopefully I wouldnt get run over.

My pleasure!
Hey you're the first person I know with AIS. Who makes the transmitter? Do you have to pay a monthly charge or is it automatic on the airwaves?

Saw your track in the ditch near Halifax, so you going on the outside at St Augustine? Going to make a run for Charleston?

Thanks for your picks as well. Coming back to house on Sundays for work and family activities. Quite envious of your travels. Thanks for posting.

If you read post #114 on this thread, Daddyo tells us he is using a mobile app on his smartphone. I have really enjoyed following him south and now on the return run. Thanks and be safe!

Yep offshore at St Aug to Charleston

If you read post #114 on this thread, Daddyo tells us he is using a mobile app on his smartphone. I have really enjoyed following him south and now on the return run. Thanks and be safe!

Can you find him on a smartphone?

If so, tell me what I'm doing wrong since all I see are a bunch of locations overlapping each other.

Yes, you need to load the marinetraffic app. It's how I receive AIS as well as transmit.

Look who I stumbled upon. Had a nice talk on the phone also.

img_149260_0_f1072e8c229c27ba1a681b48450f01dc.jpg

img_149260_1_42f56d583135b08cd3d90fa46367f144.jpg

img_149260_2_9a99ecbba3119a859c98393ddca790c3.jpg

img_149260_3_5c57b9272bc1b163f364492322d8cc51.jpg

img_149260_4_68628575c7d0da77e74c34a29645a3bd.jpg

img_149260_5_dc5290cde16294c583dee73814b7f481.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom