Underway along the Inside Passage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Arctic Traveller
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
I know it's early but we will be underway from Ketchikan Alaska bound for Juneau on or about April 7th. We expect to visit Meyers Chuck, Thorne Bay, Wrangel, Petersburg, Hobart Bay, Tracy Arm, Taku Harbor, and several other anchorages along the way. If you see our Defever 49 "Arctic Traveller" give us a shout on the radio, or better yet raft up for a pot luck. I love traveling this time of year, as we can go for days without seeing another boat, and we normally have the anchorages all to ourselves. If you enjoy solitude, snow covered mountain peaks and generally good weather, now is the time to be on the water. Let the season begin............Arctic Traveller

Amen to the winter boating. We've been out since mid-Jan & we love it for the same reasons. We won't make it that far north this year but this time next year look out.

I have to chuckle Arctic Traveller! One the one hand you invite folks to visit, but then you wax eloquent about enjoying being alone....

We boaters are often a conflicted lot aren't we?

I have to chuckle Arctic Traveller! One the one hand you invite folks to visit, but then you wax eloquent about enjoying being alone....

Yup, I thought about that, but it seems to me that sharing the anchorage or experience with friends is the only thing better than having it all to your self. There is little chance we will see anyone and we love that, but enjoying it with friends is better...........Arctic Traveller

WESTERLY is departing Edmonds April 30 for SE, so hope to see you at some point during the summer. Jay

Hi Jeff,
Think you'll make it into Thorne Bay? I wrecked my back today pulling anchor. Even w an extra wrap around the drum one still must pull quite hard to Get the anchor and chain up. Chain is looking better all the time. Going to a party Sat at the flotel and if my back dos'nt get better I'll have time off to visit. We are supposed to have clear, calm and summy weather all weekend long.

We will depart for SE Alaska from Sidney BC in mid-May. Look for the DF 48 Sunchaser Jeff We'll hopefully catch up with Eric in early June at Thorne Bay. Our AIS will be pinging away.

Hi Jeff,
Think you'll make it into Thorne Bay?

Sadly, I don't think so. I have to get to Juneau ASAP, and with the good weather, I need to travel as far as possible while it lasts. We depart KTN Sat at 0530 with the flood. Still, it's possible, so I'll give you a call if we can stop. Hope your back is getting better. Cheers...................Arctic Traveller

Thanks for the bark back Jeff. It's 26 degrees now in Thorne Bay this AM but it will be 50 something this afternoon and I'd make wake in your situation too.
Enjoy. I did'nt know Ketchikan had floods.

There are a couple of neighbors that have made the cruise up through Alaska several times which have blogs which I follow. Do any of you plan on having a blog or at least keep us informed? Also when we do, I have to make a point of meeting many of you, especially if you have a DOCK. :) I don't think we will go further north than the protect waters of SE Alaska. As many of you might know I was born in Ocean Falls BC, and have relative/freinds from Vancouver to Prince Rubert. What I have seen and remember its not a very forgiving area.

I plan on meeting and/or following some one with experience/knowledge. I was going to follow the commercial trawler but they 24/7 straight through Canada. There is sister 58 RW that cruises from Vancouver to Prince Rupert that I got to know very well, and we talk email once a month. Jim was/is a retired commercial tug/work boat captain that worked that area. Jim bought his 58 ft in Everett, and moored right behind us for about 3 months while out fitting the boat. Jim pretty much lives off the sea and land. So I will probable follow him around for a year or so. The only trouble is there are not many shopping malls in that area? :confused:

However, if will probable take a year or two for me to be weaned from the dock, out fit the boat and get used to anchoring. :eek: Jim has offered to come down and help me until I feel comfortable and get the hang of things. I am not sure about all this fishing and hunting stuff, I have never hunted, and really don’t like to fish. I refer restaurants, but I hear there are not too many in that area. :facepalm:

Do you remember Pope Thomas on Passagemaker? Well, he and I have remaind freinds. He lives in florida, bought a ugly Diesel duck and is doing the right side inside passage, so we might meet with him and his lovely SO Coral for a week. Tom and Coral plan on meeting us. For some reason old gruff olds salts and I seem to hit it off.:confused:

Also Angie and her husband keeps in touch, and they are presently down in Mexico. they have cruised up/down the Pacific coast seferal times. So maybe instead of leaving the dock we might just go visit people. :dance:

Last edited:
Phil Fill,

Here is a link to my blog of my '09 trip to SE Alaska. The entries are reversed, the last entry is the first read.

Jacari Maru

A Gulf Island cruise with anchoring at Montegue is a good start to learn about the Inside Passage. Follow that with a cruise to the Desolation Sound area.

There are several good guide books to help get you started.

I saved it in my favorites and will read it tonight. :thumb:

Hey Phil, we have a great fish market and a new butcher shop in Prince Rupert. They are both a short walk from the "Cow Bay area" and not far from the Prince Rupert Yacht Club. Look forward to catching up with you whenever you get this way. Cheers for now

We love Cow Bay. See pic.

I wrote about a trip north several years ago. It's way back in Voyagers ect ect. It's called "A Long Way Home". The weather was'nt too good but it usually is'nt in the fall and that's when we wanted/needed to go.....so of course we went. In a month we will be coming back.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 181.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 181.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 118

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom