Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #21

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
You said the impellers looked OK but I suggest to most new boat owners to replace the raw water pump impellers right away. They are the weakest link in the whole engine.
Now that the price of remote temperature sensors (temperature gun) has come down so much it is a good idea to buy one and really check both engines. You do not really have to know exactly what temperature ranges to expect, but if you have twins at least you can compare.

yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Good advice Mr. Tucker. As well, I would suggest, in the case of Lehman 120's, change your fan belt and get two spares around that pesky hose.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Yachtbrokerguy wrote:

"Now that the price of remote temperature sensors (temperature gun) has come down so much it is a good idea to buy one and really check both engines. You do not really have to know exactly what temperature ranges to expect, but if you have twins at least you can compare."

I do not know what a remote temperature sensor (temperature gun) is. Can you point me to a website or something so that I can see what you are talking about? Sounds as if would be a wise investment!
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
JW-google "temperature guns" and you will find more than a few. It is an infrared thermometer "gun". Milwuakee Tools make a couple of really good ones, cost around $80, but you can find them on Amazon for less than $50. Home Depot also carries them and I imagine almost any hardware store will carry them. A very handy tool to have around as you can measure temperature very accurately on almost anything from a distance.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post

I do not know what a remote temperature sensor (temperature gun) is. Can you point me to a website or something so that I can see what you are talking about? Sounds as if would be a wise investment!
John, try this link. I bought a couple of the $29.00 ones. They work.

Automotive Diagnostic Tools and Equipment
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #26

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
My Gulfstar has the 4-236 Perkins engines. Did the guy check the thermostat? I had a 2 inch hose that connects from the heat exchanger to the transmission cooler fail on me. It was still pained blue so I guess it was 37 years old. Funny how these things take so lone to fail. Well we did not sink ;-) Replacing all the hoses this winter.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #27

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
your mystery overheating problem might have been a jellyfish stuck over your inlet strainer. Happened to me a few years ago when we were cruising a friends 48 Pacemaker. Starboard engine started to overheat; we stopped and dropped the hook. Pulled out the impeller and it was fine. i put on amask and snorkel and went over the side (we were in calm water). there was a jellyfish partially stuck on the inlet cover. Had we just shut that engine off and ran on one the jellyfish would have come off all the way and we would never know why we overheated
John
390 Mainship
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Johnma wrote:

"your mystery overheating problem might have been a jellyfish stuck over your inlet strainer."

Probably not that (I didn't see any jellyfish in the waters I went through before the engine overheated). I did, however, go through miles and miles and miles of dead pinfish (found out later there had been an algae bloom ("red tide") in the area). So it may have sucked some of those little puppies up there. Or, it may have been something as simple as a Publix plastic bag getting sucked against the intake screen. Who knows? At any rate, my fault. I should have watched the instruments more carefully. Well, before I take any more trips (none are planned, by the way) there will be a LOUD audible alarm installed that tells me that the engine is overheating. Of course, if I had been in the salon at the helm, rather than on the flying bridge, I would have seen the smoke. And if a frog had hip pockets, he could carry a gun to ward off the snakes. :-)
John

jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote