Old 04-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #41
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
A quick peek around a special little valley not normally shown to visitors.
This little valley on Gozo is blessed with little natural water springs and it was to this tiny place that the Grand Master of the Templars came with his entourage from his mansion in Valetta to have what we would call today a picnic to enjoy some peace and quiet to escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life.

Photo's
1,Terracing dating back to BC.

2,This was once the gatekeepers house guarding the Lunzjata Valley.

3,Overview of the valley.

4,5,Self explanatory.

6, These old caves were used as bomb shelters during WW2.

7,Irrigation channels shaped from stone to prevent leakage.

8,One of the sweet water fountains.

9.These irrigation channels date back before the late JC, to irrigate a section a stone if lifted from its slot and replaced as each section is watered. slabs of stone on the top prevent evaporation.

10, As we explained earlier cats are the national pet and even in this little backwater on the island of Gozo the locals feed them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00474.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	87460   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00475.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	87461   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00476.jpg
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	87462   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00477.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	87463   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00490.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	87464  

Name:	DSC00479.jpg
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	87465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00481.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	87466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00484.jpg
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	87467   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00486.jpg
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	87468   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00493.jpg
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	87469  

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #42
Guru

So thats our visit to Malta and Gozo over now and its time to travel back to our boat 'Snow Mouse' in Narbonne.
We landed in Marseille and on our route back to our boat we stopped off in Aigues Mortes in Southern France to visit the departing port of the Knights Templar where they left by sailing ship to Valetta in Malta. Its also my personal favourite Knights Templar church where I go to give thanks, the Lord makes no distinction and WASP's are also made very welcome.

1, 2, These first 2 photo's show the interior of the last place of worship of the Knights Templar before they set sail on the crusades to fight the Muslim hordes.

3,4, Apologies but if you turn these photo they're self explanatory.

5,Rear of King Louis monument.

6, The Templars fort at Aigues Mortes, meaning dead water, or inlet with no river flow.

7,Many centuries ago the Mediterranean sea was enclosed by the movement of the earths tectonic plates and became a giant inland sea. Constant evaporation by the sun turned it into a highly saline inland body of water. The tectonic plates shifted again and the straights of Gibraltar were formed but the Mediterranean continued to be highly saline and it was the Romans who turned harvesting of sea salt onto an industrial scale a tradition still continued to this day as these mountains of sea salt testify. p.s The French own all the major salt producing companies in Europe, even as far away as Poland.

8,9 These Flamingo's thrive on these shallow inland salty lakes around Aigues Mortes.
Did you know that Flamingo's despite having a tiny brain choose to migrate with a following wind and have been know to travel up to 350 kilometres away in non-stop flight ?
Did you know that Flamingo's are one of the few birds to organise creche's for the young so their parents can feed ?
Did you know their colour comes not from the tiny crustaceans they eat but from the algae as they sift food through their beaks in a sideways sweeping motion ?

10, Our route from the South of France to Malta and back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00509.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	87474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00510.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	87475   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00520.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	87476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00518.jpg
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	87477   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00522.jpg
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	87478  

Name:	DSC00531.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	87479   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00532.jpg
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	87480   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00535.jpg
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	87481   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00536.jpg
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	87482  
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #43
Guru

How many of you have a bath onboard ?
I don't want to bore you but is anyone interested in a saga about a bath ?
Don't listen to Bruce K winding you up the English and Irish HAVE been known to bathe, at least once a year
Old 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #44
Guru

Not too sure about English/Irish bathing habits,but you certainly wetted my appetite to see Malta. Lots of history, well preserved, by the look of it. Maybe next year. Australia has quite a Maltese community.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #45
Guru

G'day Bruce.
We found Malta very interesting because of WW2 connections I'd visited with the military which of course is a complete world away from being a tourist.
There are lovely beaches but I'm curious to look around and learn about the history and traditions etc.
I can highly recommend it for its laid back way of life with plenty to see.
I think the commonwealth connection would have been a way for any young Maltese to seek an attractive relatively new country with a common language etc. As you know there's a strong Irish connection too, in fact my own son's serving in the forces HQ in Canberra
There but for the grace of God I would've been a 10 Pom but ended up running away to sea and nearly ended up in jail but that's another story.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #46
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
G'day Bruce.
We found Malta very interesting because of WW2 connections I'd visited with the military which of course is a complete world away from being a tourist.
If you like history and WW2, visit Gibraltar. Take the tour of the hollowed out "Rock". Then take some time to learn the WW2 history and Spain.

I have been to Malta and realize the number of ships and men lost while trying to supply and support Malta and parts of Europe.

Sadly, if you are a minor student of history, you will see in current news the same names that were conquered during WW2. Read over the USMC song and see the same names.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #47
Guru

Hi OldDan1943.
We've a full schedule this year but maybe next, its on my bucket list.
Been there got the 'T' shirt, your about my vintage so you probably know the PTI's used to make us run up and down the rock first thing in the morning.
It fairly straightened you out if you'd been on the beer the night before.
You want to try landing on the strip in an old fully loaded Argosy, teeth marks on the dash and a funny smell in the back
Did you get to see all the caves ? The engineers and artillery made a gun that could fire downhill, I think there's still a couple in there but its maybe closed to the public.
As I mentioned in an earlier post the Meds very salty and the German subs used to try and drift through, the big gun on the top was used to dissuade them.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Hi OldDan1943.
We've a full schedule this year but maybe next, its on my bucket list.
Been there got the 'T' shirt, your about my vintage so you probably know the PTI's used to make us run up and down the rock first thing in the morning.
It fairly straightened you out if you'd been on the beer the night before.
You want to try landing on the strip in an old fully loaded Argosy, teeth marks on the dash and a funny smell in the back
Did you get to see all the caves ? The engineers and artillery made a gun that could fire downhill, I think there's still a couple in there but its maybe closed to the public.
As I mentioned in an earlier post the Meds very salty and the German subs used to try and drift through, the big gun on the top was used to dissuade them.
Oh yes, I did had a guided tour the caves and noticed some were still sealed off.
Spain really wants Gibraltar back, even today. Spain shut the water off so Gibraltar supplement the paved part of the rock and cisterns with desalination plants. Spain used to shut the border and discovered the Spanish people suffered the greatest by shutting off the Spanish labor who worked in Gibraltar.
Back when I was there in the 60s we (US Navy) walked across the border via the air strip. There were RR crossing gates that closed when a plane was landing.
I have a picture of me with an Gibraltar ape on my shoulder inspecting my white hat. After he inspected it to his satisfaction, he gave it back. LOL
Old 04-16-2019, 12:17 AM   #49
Guru

Still the same on the strip but its got all modern now there are traffic lights !.If you were there in the navy I think its best for you and I to avoid talking about 'The Gut' and just keep those old memories to ourselves.
Your very lucky the ape gave it back as they've tourist baiting to a fine art and are the craftiest of thieves.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:29 AM   #50
Guru

Some monkeys in Bali employ a pimp(well, something like that,it`s a kind of protection racket). The monkey steals your specs/camera/whatever, the pimp offers to get it from the monkey for you for a fee, the monkey hands it back, you pay the money, and all`s good.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Some monkeys in Bali employ a pimp(well, something like that,it`s a kind of protection racket). The monkey steals your specs/camera/whatever, the pimp offers to get it from the monkey for you for a fee, the monkey hands it back, you pay the money, and all`s good.
Yup, life is good. I could tell you about our cab driver and his history with the apes but, someone is going to have to buy me another drink.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:28 AM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Still the same on the strip but its got all modern now there are traffic lights !.If you were there in the navy I think its best for you and I to avoid talking about 'The Gut' and just keep those old memories to ourselves.
Your very lucky the ape gave it back as they've tourist baiting to a fine art and are the craftiest of thieves.
Ah yes, barroom fight, my broken nose.....