Old 11-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #41
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
72 miles? My route from Manteo to Ocracoke is 57 nm. It's a beautiful day out there today. If you like pretty anchorages, and it sounds like you do, you should try to work South River into your plans. Any number of places to drop the hook depending on conditions. No harm in calling the marinas. We like the docks,crew, fuel and infrastructure at Morehead City Yacht Basin, which has a courtesy van, better than those at Beaufort. Another extremely friendly marina in MHC is Portside, the only flaw there is the docks are not in the same class as MCYB. Plus you are among a bunch of very nice permanent resident boats. Here's the transient dock the other day:

In New Bern, we prefer the Galley Store located in the pretty Historic District, with a great pump out very nice docks, wonderful store, high quality power and a much nicer view. No bridge to deal with either.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

Picture: Yahoo, on the way to Manteo
By that wake in post # 20 --- looks like you're doing bout 25 knots. That taken at WOT or near to??

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #43
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
TimJet- Sounds like you are in no hurry to get south. You are hitting nearly all the spots around the sounds!!

Have fun!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #44
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
72 miles? My route from Manteo to Ocracoke is 57 nm. It's a beautiful day out there today. If you like pretty anchorages, and it sounds like you do, you should try to work South River into your plans. Any number of places to drop the hook depending on conditions. No harm in calling the marinas. We like the docks,crew, fuel and infrastructure at Morehead City Yacht Basin, which has a courtesy van, better than those at Beaufort.
. . . . . . .and a lot less tidal current to deal with.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
. . . . . . .and a lot less tidal current to deal with.
Still there though, enough to affect many a landing. Follow the outstanding dock crews' instructions and you will be fine.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 11-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Still there though, enough to affect many a landing. Follow the outstanding dock crews' instructions and you will be fine.
MCYB was my home marina for 4 years.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
MCYB was my home marina for 4 years.
Ours too.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I'll second or third or fourth some of the above. You should have no issues with docks. We were very pleased our last trip to New Bern docking at Galley Stores. We've stopped briefly at the Grand before but found Galley Stores superior. As to Beaufort and Morehead City, if I was spending two or more days, I'd stay in both. Probably one night Beaufort and then in Morehead City Yacht Basin. They have their similarities but are very different too. Morehead City Yacht Basin is very nice. I think you're too far North to run into any problems finding dock space now. You're far behind the large group of boats heading south.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #49
Guru

Many South bound boats are gathering at the Vero Beach City Marina for the annual potluck Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:48 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
72 miles? My route from Manteo to Ocracoke is 57 nm. It's a beautiful day out there today.

In New Bern, we prefer the Galley Store located in the pretty Historic District, with a great pump out very nice docks, wonderful store, high quality power and a much nicer view. No bridge to deal with either.
Absolutely beautiful day yesterday. Forecast was for 1-2 ft but it was calm. It's starting to get a little cool here. We ran with the bridge closed up most of the day.

We've converted over to statue miles since we're mostly on the ICW now. Run yesterday was 67.5 sm, pretty close to 57 km. I was initially planning on running north and west of Roanoke Island which adds 6-8 miles and avoids the long channel run along the east side of Roanoke Is, but the dockmaster at Manteo conviced me the channel was wide and clear. We ran slow - 8.5 mph for the 2 hours it took to clear the channel and get to the open Pamlico. Our boat with it's exposed props and rudder, I take no chances in running aground hence my slow run through the long channel. If I were to do this again I would take the longer route and open her up and let the autopilot get us there.
I don't know about you guys but on long channel runs I sometimes "forget" which side of a day marker I should be on. Maybe I'm just day dreaming or thinking of other things but I constantly have to remind myself to pay attention. Yesterday I forgot and got into 5.5 ft of water before I caught my mistake.

In Oriental we'll try to get one of the free docks, there's 2 now. If we're unable we'll probably anchor out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
By that wake in post # 20 --- looks like you're doing bout 25 knots. That taken at WOT or near to??
Our boat a Carver 355 has a 39' hull and the nose starts to climb at 7.5 kts so that's our max slow speed. It's fully on plane at about 12 kts. We cruise at 2400 rpm which is about 16 kts. I never cruise above 2400 rpm. WOT is 2900 rpm if propped properly. But yes I agree it looks like we're smoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
TimJet- Sounds like you are in no hurry to get south. You are hitting nearly all the spots around the sounds!!

Have fun!!
We are in no hurry. I retired in September so there's no reason to be in a hurry. I would have liked to have started a littler sooner but it was not to be. We got to the Park Service docks about 1600 yesterday and the attendant said most of the places here in Orcacoke are closed but I shouldn't have any trouble finding a few restaurants open. That's OK we're enjoying this cruise. It's doubtful we'll come this way again so with Debbies concurence we'll see everything we can.
We're planning on staying until Friday perhaps Thanksgiving dinner at Topless Oyster Restaurant. I think they dropped the Topless maybe for good reason.
By the way the Park Service docks here in Ocracoke are a really good deal, not scenic by any means but good docks. The electric is very iffy. 2 of the 4 electric towers on our dock did not work. We had to reposition the boat to find one that worked. The attendant said they all work and any problems are with the boat. Wrong.

Quote:
Many South bound boats are gathering at the Vero Beach City Marina for the annual potluck Thanksgiving dinner.
One of my favorite marina's north of Palm Beach. We'll be there probably in January.

Picture: On the Pamlico
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1378.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	46821  
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #51
Guru

Who's Open? | OcracokeCurrent

Tim, check this link I previously posted, it lists just about everything that is open; anything listed under "December" is obviously open now. Ocracoke is a pleasant walking town with many of the businesses hidden among the back streets.

The channel south from Manteo and out Old House is actually much more stable and deep and more accurately marked than the one back up north. It is by far the most used by commercial and recreational traffic in and out of the large commercial marine harbor and boat building center at Wanchese and big sportfishers and head boats out of there, Pirate's Cove, and Oregon Inlet Fishing center.

Enjoy your stay in Ocracoke!

Old 11-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #52
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Who's Open? | OcracokeCurrent

Tim, check this link I previously posted, it lists just about everything that is open; anything listed under "December" is obviously open now. Ocracoke is a pleasant walking town with many of the businesses hidden among the back streets.

The channel south from Manteo and out Old House is actually much more stable and deep and more accurately marked than the one back up north. It is by far the most used by commercial and recreational traffic in and out of the large commercial marine harbor and boat building center at Wanchese and big sportfishers and head boats out of there, Pirate's Cove, and Oregon Inlet Fishing center.

Enjoy your stay in Ocracoke!
There's something special about checking out the restaurants open this time of the year. They're operated by full time, year round and generally long time residents. They're also where locals gather. Most seasonal tourist areas have two worlds, the seasonal tourist one and the local resident one. When we first started going to Myrtle Beach where we have friends/family it even had the distinctions but now the offseason is much stronger. Still there's a local world and a tourist world although most of the locals involved serving the tourists.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #53
Guru

Thanks George, looks like Thanksgiving dinner at the Ocracoke Oyster House.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #54
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Tim,

You can check the harbor cam in Oriental before arrival to see if the free docks are available at TownDock.net | Oriental NC News, Weather, Photos . There is also an anchorage cam!

Have fun! Enjoy your time in NC! Don't forget to try Floyd's if you go to the MHCYB! (and tell Mike we said hi!)
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #55
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Funny, I much prefer the open water run, Manteo, Hatteras and Okracoke.

Guess I have had my fill of driving through the Punto Canal. One thing to stay our of the weather, but holy cow, autopilot and watching dolphins and reading beats the inside route once you have had your fill of Belhaven too.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad once I get south in better weather and can make some ocean runs rather than 2000 miles of ditch every year.

And usually I am the first to say I would rather see stuff than waves.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #56
Guru

We had a great time Ocracoke. We had a very good Thanksgiving dinner at the Ocracoke Oyster Restaurant. In fact it was surprising good. Got back to the boat just in time to take a nap.

You guys that live around here ought to try this place out during Thanksgiving. Except for the CG boat I mentioned in another thread we are the only boat here. Cheap and the docks are in good shape. Easy walk to everything.

I check with Beaufort NC and the dockmaster said no problem in getting a slip.
He also said most stores are open.

Weíre headed to Oriental this morning. I have some concerns. Reading on Active Captain the 2 free town docks donít allow a generator to be run. Anyone know anything about this, like is this enforced? If so weíll have to anchor out, refrig needs power. Never had a problem or saw a sign restricting genny use last year.

Anchoring out: It doesnít look like there is enough swing room in the channel leading to the town, and I donít want to deploy 2 anchors. So Iím looking at Greens Ck or Smith Ck. Suggestions?
Old 11-27-2015, 06:36 AM   #57
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have seen the signs restrictions generator use....and you fill out a form that acknowledges you understand the rules and the fines.

Enforced? Well I have never seen anyone even stop by the docks let alone say anything.

Like most ruless, why are they written and who cares that they are enforced.

If your genset is quiet and doesn't smoke or smell much, this time of year you probably wouldn't get hassled like in the summer where someone is running air all day.

If you need it all day, probably best to anchor out. The channel going into town used to have 3 or 4 boats anchored there, not sure about swing as I haven't anchored.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #58
Guru

Tim,

We have anchored on the bridge side of the channel. With a light north wind, you don't need to be right inside the breakwater. We're also fans of the little marina there if you want to plug in. Oriental is a great town to bike around too. Go to M&Ms for great shrimp and grits!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #59
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
There is plenty of room between the channel and the big marina on the left as you enter. You will understand when you get there. The cameras are deceiving.

On the other hand, all things considered, Oriental's little marina is cheap and it's totally worth it to just tie up there and enjoy the town without running the generator. :-)

We'll look for you on the Town Dock webcam.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #60
Guru

Oh and check out the local marine consignment store.... never know what they might have that you don't know you need. and the Provision Company....and Nautical Wheelers is a must visit for shopping!! They have clothes, shoes, a nice wine room! Love that little store.