Old 11-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #21
Guru

I'm looking at Oracoke. The Tuesday forecast for Pamlico Sound is for 1-2 ft and I know what 2 ft is like - never again. Lots of open water. Abermarle is forecast for 1 ft.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I'm looking at Oracoke. The Tuesday forecast for Pamlico Sound is for 1-2 ft and I know what 2 ft is like - never again. Lots of open water. Abermarle is forecast for 1 ft.
But check wind direction and see if you.can hug a shore till the 2 ft is on the butt or quarter....ie North to Northwest winds.

There is a bombing range there I have been through....that can be an issue hugging the shore though.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #23
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Nice wake and nice weather!!

Looks like this rain should blow out soon, then going clear and cold with pretty stiff NW for a day or so.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Nice wake and nice weather!!

Looks like this rain should blow out soon, then going clear and cold with pretty stiff NW for a day or so.
Yea... While Ocracoke is a magical place, if it were me, I would stay inside, hustle through the Alligator/Pungo canal, and go ahead and get further south. It's beyond the prime season for a lot of these places and I don't think you will find much open in Ocracoke this late in the year. Besides, the Pamlico can be an stinky place in just about any wind. Still, your boat is pretty quick and you could make the trip in short order. I wouldn't want to get stuck there having to wait out COLD weather though. Ocracoke is a much better mid-summer destination... IMHO... YMMV

Get yourself on down to Georgetown or Charleston, SC.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #25
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yea, Okracoke might be a little dead right now. Beaufort would be similar, but both good stops. My fave is Georgetown, SC, that town has stuff going on with or without boat based business. Charleston to me is a bit of a PITA, nothing really close to dockage so you have to bike or Uber a good distance from the boat. I just bypass Chas unless I need fuel, which I normally do not at that point. Georgetown is completely walkable.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #26
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Ocracoke was always still alive and going well all the Thanksgivings we've been there as of two years ago. Thanksgiving weekend is pretty much the end of their season; all the stores and restaurants we loved were still open; we liked to do Amex's "Small Business Saturday" there.

Going back up and over to the Alligator River is hardly "staying inside" and that whole route is the most ugly and boring stretch of the ICW. I think I'd rather get my poked with a stick than do that. Heading south on northern half the Pamlico in 1-2 with wind out of the north in a boat that can keep pace with the waves is not so bad; the . The ride from Manteo south and out through Old House channel is a pretty one too.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Yea, Okracoke might be a little dead right now. Beaufort would be similar, but both good stops. My fave is Georgetown, SC, that town has stuff going on with or without boat based business. Charleston to me is a bit of a PITA, nothing really close to dockage so you have to bike or Uber a good distance from the boat. I just bypass Chas unless I need fuel, which I normally do not at that point. Georgetown is completely walkable.
When in Charleston, we stay at the Maritime Center on the north side of town. Can be rolly poly in Northeast winds and from commercial traffic. BUT....walking distance to downtown and the touristy things on that side of town. Only a couple blocks from a great grocery store, harware store, and a host of small businesses like bakeries, liquor stores, etc..... plus it has free laundry, is reasonable and makes for a good logistics stop with a stroll downtown even if only for one night but for me it's usually 2 for the chores and resupply.

Plus the last 2 years there is a free trolley for much of around town. Hope it is still running. It does come over near the City Marina but not right there. Of course the marinas on that side of town usually have limited shuttle service.

Either going back around through the Punto or continuing down for much of the Pamlico could be a coin toss once in Manteo. As I mentioned...in NW winds you may find some protection for much of the trip....especially if you run hard for a bit here and there.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #28

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
I was in that neighborhood in September, spent the night in Coinjock headed south. Forecast was not good but I was in a 52' Maritimo known as a good Australian offshore boat. Called the Alligator swing bridge to make sure it would open, because when winds are over 30 knots they will not open, it was OK at 7 AM, called again as I got to Albemarle sound, bridge would open, but the bridge tender said the wind was picking up.
Ran across the sound at 20 knots with a following sea, boat handled nicely. When I called on the VHF to the bridge, he said wind was now 33 knots with higher gusts and would not open. So a quick turn to the west and ran into Alligator River Marina which is next to the road that leads to the bridge. Waited about two and a half hours and the wind died down, the bridge tender called me and said come on through.
I have not done too much traveling in a boat with an enclosed flybridge, it was very comfortable for this trip with lots of rain, especially the record floods in South Carolina.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #29
Guru

OK, we're going to Ocracoke via Pamlico sound. Forecast is for winds 10 kts out of the North. We should be partially shaded by the western shore on a direct route bypassing the shoals. Seas now down to 1ft.

We'll plan on staying at the National Park Service Marina or the Anchorage Marina which ever someone suggests.

Oriental and New Bern next then Beaufort and Moorehead City.

As mentioned some places are closed here in Manteo but with the wx turning we'll find things to do. Never left the boat yesterday the wx was so rotten.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:46 AM   #30
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:

We'll plan on staying at the National Park Service Marina or the Anchorage Marina which ever someone suggests.

If you qualify for a Senior Park Pass, buy one (for $10) when you arrive and dockage will be 1/2 price at the Park Service Docks. The Pass is lifetime and has privileges all over the country..
Old 11-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #31
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
I was in that neighborhood in September, spent the night in Coinjock headed south. Forecast was not good but I was in a 52' Maritimo known as a good Australian offshore boat. Called the Alligator swing bridge to make sure it would open, because when winds are over 30 knots they will not open, it was OK at 7 AM, called again as I got to Albemarle sound, bridge would open, but the bridge tender said the wind was picking up.
Ran across the sound at 20 knots with a following sea, boat handled nicely. When I called on the VHF to the bridge, he said wind was now 33 knots with higher gusts and would not open. So a quick turn to the west and ran into Alligator River Marina which is next to the road that leads to the bridge. Waited about two and a half hours and the wind died down, the bridge tender called me and said come on through.
I have not done too much traveling in a boat with an enclosed flybridge, it was very comfortable for this trip with lots of rain, especially the record floods in South Carolina.
I love hearing the response from the Alligator River bridge tenders. When the weather is questionable I would call ahead. Their usual response was, "keep 'er comin' cap'n". They have always been helpful.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
One morning this past March, headed south, after having stayed overnight at Alligator River Marina, we sidled out the channel, hailed the bridge for an opening and were met with the response. "Can't, she's froze up". Waited 2+ hours until the sun warmed the mechanism sufficiently for a passage. Fun times.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #33
Guru

The National Park docks are rudimentary, but useful. We always anchored in the harbor there, very protected and great holding. There is a good dinghy dock to the right of the ferries; easy stroll a few short blocks into town. Here's a handy guide to what's open, all good. The fisherman's coop fish store, Ocracoke Seafood, should also be open and great local fish. The Variety Store is actually a fairly complete supermarket, plus other stuff. Zilly's gourmet shop and wine / craft beer bar is lovely.

Who's Open? | OcracokeCurrent

You can't go wrong with any of the still open restaurants... the Dajio pizza is terrific, nice bar there too. We Liked Gaffer's on the way out of town, kind of a "locals" sports-bar place, but good food.

All the major carriers have 4G cellular there now, ATT and Verizon being best. You used to be able to smooch wi-fi from a few of the inns around the harbor, but once good cell service showed up, I no longer hunted for it. Google maps satellite view has a good pic showing where the shallow-ish water is as a result of the ferries; all the rest of the dark water is good ground. We prefer tucking in on the south, or south east end.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 11-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #34

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
The only way I would pay the much higher fee at Anchorage is I was planning on using their pool or needed shoreside heads and showers. Other than that it's not worth the higher price.

This time of year I would either anchor out in Silver Lake or dock at the Federal Marina.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #35
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
OK, we're going to Ocracoke via Pamlico sound...
Oriental and New Bern next then Beaufort and Moorehead City.
WooT!!! Enjoy your stay. We are on-the-hard at Town Creek Marina in Beaufort. I am headed to the yard tomorrow to get the fuel tanks cleaned and to check on progress. Not sure when the work will be done, but maybe our paths will cross before you leave NC because we will head back to New Bern after it's done. I am thinking a couple of more weeks.

Let us know how active Ocracoke is this late in the season (yes, George... I know you said already... just giving Tim a reason to write about it).

Keep us posted.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #36

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Also if you haven't been there before or it's been awhile it never hurts to time your arrival with either the Swan Quarter or Cedar Island ferry.

This way you can follow them in the channel into Silver Lake.

There are places at low tide you have about a foot of water on either side of channel.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Let us know how active Ocracoke is this late in the season (yes, George... I know you said already... just giving Tim a reason to write about it).
That's OK Tom, Tim is the better blogger and I am an Ocracoke fanboy. Ann wants me to remind him of Books To Be Red, the wonderful bookstore nestled in among the oaks, as well as Village Craftsmen, not far from there.. great places to do one's holiday shopping and for oneself.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
And if you need more recommendations on pubs or restaurants in Oriental, New Bern, Morehead or Beaufort, let us know!!!! Lots of NC boaters here!
Besslb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 AM   #39
Guru

Thanks George and everyone for the info. We're leaving Manteo today for Ocracoke, 72 miles and I figure about 6 hrs. The approach to Ocracoke is kind of confusing until you understand the initial approach from the Pamlico is part of the channel that leads to the Ocracoke inlet to the Atlantic. Our plan is to stay until Friday, wx should be good for the 50 mile run across the Pamlico to Oriental. Wx should be good the rest of the week.
We'll asses the situation upon reaching Ocracoke about whether to anchor or tie up at the Nat Park Svc docks. I prefer the docks. We got the senior park pass at the Wright Bros memorial yesterday.

Our plan is to go to New Bern after Oriental then Beaufort N.C. Debbie is really looking forward to Beaufort. We stayed at the Beaufort City Docks last year northbound, and I'm a little concerned about slip availability. Very tentative schedule would put us in Beaufort next Tuesday Dec 1, depending on weather of course. Should I be concerned about getting a slip and make reservations now??
Old 11-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #40
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Should I be concerned about getting a slip and make reservations now??
I wouldn't be concerned about slips in Beaufort this time of year. But you can call them on the phone and make sure.

If you want a slip in Oriental you may want to call the Oriental Inn and Marina to make a reservation there....it's kinda small. We've been watching the migration on the towndock cam and sometimes the marina looks full.

The New Bern Grand should have lots of slips, and there's always the Galley Store Marina too. Both great options for a very walkable little town.

Have fun in Ocracoke!!

Besslb is online now   Reply With Quote